+ Reply to Thread

Default body hair transplants: why not arms?

I hear about BHTs from beard of chest hair but why not arm hair? My arm hear feels similar to the hair on my head, unlike my chest hair which is coarser.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Why not arms? That's a good question. I have been been a patient of Dr. Cole's in several body hair studies and I have had leg hair, back hair, chest hair and beard hair. The beard hair and chest hair is the best of the non-scalp hair. They never tried arm hair. Mine might work ok for scars, but it's too curly. I will ask Dr. Cole when I see him on Monday.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    I hear about BHTs from beard of chest hair but why not arm hair? My arm hear feels similar to the hair on my head, unlike my chest hair which is coarser.
    But arm hair is too short!

Arm hair has been harvested for extreme repairs, and Dr. Umar can be heard saying at around the 2:47 minute mark that arm hair "is not the best in terms of quality" and at the 1:57 mark, you will see the patients arms immediately after extraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhVXGDj3m4

I would guess the smaller diameter of arm hair and the possible difficulty in successfully extracting it without transecting the graft make it one of the lesser options available.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    I just had a chance to speak with Dr. Cole about arm hair. His response was "We tried everything". He went on to explain that arm hair is similar to leg hair. Not great and the most frustrating thing about body hair other than chest and beard hair is, sometimes it grows for a while and then thins or worse, falls out and doesn't grow back.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant - Atlanta
    Toll Free 1-800-368-4247
    Phone 678-566-1011

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 11:17 AM.

My own experience is that both my arm and leg hair has drastically thinned as I have gotten older. My chest hair seems to have gotten thicker and more grey as with the beard. It’s quite possible those whose have had leg and arm hair will experience drastic thinning down the line which would make it a temporary solution. But everyone is different. Below is my leg hair at 40 and 50 as an example. I barely have any lower leg hair left it just disappeared.

Here is a picture of the upper leg at 40 and 50. My observations have been that the body hair on the extremities has thinned considerably the farther away from the core of the body that it is located. My chest and stomach hair I would consider to be very strong as I get older.

Interesting question. I've heard of arm hair being used before although not often it seems to be chest & beard as they have the most "success". Now by success I'm not sure if that means they have the best regrowth, or it they have the best long term results etc.

Interesting what topcoat said about his leg hair thinning, I didn't think of that at all to be honest but yes it does raise the question that if in future even if you have great results when the hairs are transplanted, will they fall out in 10 years? I honestly don't know.

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about bht as I can. The other place I'm interested in is nape hair, he hairs on the back of your neck. Does anyone know what the success rate or fees ability of using nape hair is?

Thanks