+ Reply to Thread

Default Dr. Haber in Ohio

I will be having surgery with Dr. Haber in Beachwood, OH on June 21st. His recommendation; 1500 grafts to restore my hairline to a more 'youthful' appearance.

As well, I was offered a discount rate for accepting an appointment when Dr. Haber will be demonstrating the procedure to train another physician. Because of this, I further negotiated a price of 6K for the 1500 grafts and $2 per graft if he goes over.

Questions:

1. Is Dr. Haber really one of the best in the field?
    2. Did I get a 'good' deal; 1500 grafts for 6K?
    3. What sort of expectations should I have with a hairline restoration (see photo)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20130610.jpg

Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	21487  

Yes Dr. Haber is one of the very best. I'm not sure of the current prices though. Your hairline will certainly improve. It will take some time but it will be better.

12k for 2500 grafts was my charge. I would say that is prob. top rate for that number of grafts.So 6k for 1500 is not to bad.

Thanks Tracy. Can you tell me what the procedure is like? Also, how long before you see results?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Thanks Tracy. Can you tell me what the procedure is like? Also, how long before you see results?
    I can only comment on strip procedure. I know Dr. Haber offers FUE now. I needed the best results possible in the shortest amount of time possible - which means strip w2as the best option for me.

With a strip procedure, the doctor can harvest more in a shorter period of time. Since I am female, I never intend to buzz my hair, so I was not worried about the possibility of a scar. As it turns out, you cannot find my scar even if you know exactly where it is.

You first start seeing results at about six months. However, you will likely continue to improve for 12 to 18 months or possibly longer. There is no way to speed up the process. You are at the mercy of the speed of your hair follicles' cycles.

Default HT w/ Dr. Robert Haber

Well, I finally got it done! Currently, I'm one day post-op my hair transplant surgery (strip), w/ Dr. Robert Haber.

Originally, I was scheduled to have surgery back in June, but I had a very bad reaction to the epinephrine. So bad, that Dr. Haber decided to stop the procedure and reschedule for another time (or just give me my money back). I decided to do the surgery again, this time w/o the epinephrine.

Overall, the surgery went extremely well, and so far, I am very pleased! However, I think I experienced slightly more pain that most patients do, because the epinephrine keeps the lidocaine working for longer periods of time, and without it, the anesthetic wore off rather quickly. Looking back, I should have requested more as I needed it.

One thing I can say about Dr, Haber, is that he is extremely professional and accommodating. He worked with me to find a way to get the surgery done, and was flexible with scheduling me back in. His primary concern was my happiness and getting me the best possible results.

For me, surgery was the only viable option. While there is plenty of scare mongering with finasteride, I am definitely not a candidate for it (e.g., it gave me increased anxiety and induced depressive thoughts). Having tried it on at least three separate occasions, since 2006.

I was, and I am now, using the iGrow hair laser, mostly out of desperation. It's my stand alone treatment. I don't think its done anything for actual hair growth, but hopefully it may have some benefit w/ post-surgery healing.

I have posted some pics and will continue to keep updating my HT results. All I can say is that I'm glad I did it and, I wait the results!

randyk,

Awesome story and thanks for sharing it with us. So glad to hear about your experience with Dr. Haber and he is a reputable talented surgeon.

And sorry to hear about the issues with the medications, especially the anesthesia and finasteride. Did you talk with Dr. Haber about possibly using dutasteride on a trial basis? If you cannot tolerate that or just are not interested in trying another medicinal DHT inhibitor, we all understand that is a personal choice.

But hey, the procedure is done and now you can heal and then patiently wait for the regrowth which is the best part!

Best wishes to you...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for the comments. My reactions to medications are certainly not typical, or normal. I don't think I would try the Dutasteride because of the long life of the drug, plus it would most likely cause the same negative effects the finasteride caused.