+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Well you are saying "short", but Messi is 5' 7", which is not classified as "short", yes it's short if you live around NBA players, or every single man around you is over 6'. But that's not the case, Soccer is very diversified in height and it's a sport where "short" athletes excel in, he definitely is not the shortest Soccer player ever either. There's been great soccer players that were 5' 1" - 5' 5". Any way 5' 7" is probably far better than what he would have been if he hadn't treated his growth hormone deficiency.

Bieber is also 5' 7" which is not too far off average height of 5' 9" and he is still a teenager so he can grow a couple more inches.
    I'm 5'6" and have had many discussions with people about what constitutes short. In general, I have come to conclude that:

over 6'2": very tall
    6' - 6'2": tall
    5'8" - 6': average, indistinguishable, nobody cares
    under 5'8": short
    under 5'5": very short

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    I'm 5'6" and have had many discussions with people about what constitutes short. In general, I have come to conclude that:

over 6'2": very tall
    6' - 6'2": tall
    5'8" - 6': average, indistinguishable, nobody cares
    under 5'8": short
    under 5'5": very short
    Well it also depends on where you live. I am 5'11" and in the US people consider that a respectable height, though, maybe, not tall.

In my native India, I am considered a tall person. It is rare for men to be above 6'2" in this region.

It depends on gender too. In South Asia, it is common for women to fall between 5'2" and 5'5" and still be considered attractive, no one bothers about their height.

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    I am also NW7, but its not a big deal for me. I don't look ugly even with a NW7! And for your question, I think, being short is far worse, because you can't fix it at all. Baldness is still somewhat fixable and maybe more so in the future.
    Same situation for me: NW7 and not ugly. Some people say that I look much younger than my real age. I was the other day in the super market (wearing a hat on my head) with my teen daughter and a guy thought that she was my little sister! The real age difference is a whopping 30 years but I still have the body line of a slender young man in his early 20's at most.

I am quite average in height (177 cm) but I would not trade it (together with my body type) for any amount of hair. I look at old photos and I see that, during the last two decades, my body has not changed at all, my face just a little (still no wrinkles at all), but my hair went south! Glacier era on my head! However I prefer this kind of change instead of keeping my hair and becoming overweight and old looking in the face.

The original question is very valid though and, as it is evident in the discussion, the answer depends on the case.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Same situation for me: NW7 and not ugly. Some people say that I look much younger than my real age. I was the other day in the super market (wearing a hat on my head) with my teen daughter and a guy thought that she was my little sister! The real age difference is a whopping 30 years but I still have the body line of a slender young man in his early 20's at most.

I am quite average in height (177 cm) but I would not trade it (together with my body type) for any amount of hair. I look at old photos and I see that, during the last two decades, my body has not changed at all, my face just a little (still no wrinkles at all), but my hair went south! Glacier era on my head! However I prefer this kind of change instead of keeping my hair and becoming overweight and old looking in the face.

The original question is very valid though and, as it is evident in the discussion, the answer depends on the case.
    As an older guy who started losing his hair at an early age, I have experienced the anxiety that goes with losing hair. I'm now 61, happily married for 23 years and have a beautiful 18 year old daughter. A friend of mine in his 40's is a slick bald Norwood 6. He is about 5'6", somewhat of a muscular build and has a slight point to the shape of the top of his head. He is the most popular man with women I have ever met in my life. He had a beautiful well endowed swimsuit contest winning 2nd. wife and his first wife was similar. His second wife divorced him because of financial grief he caused his family. My friend was feeling lonely one day and beginning in the morning got down to business meeting women. Supermarket, Starbucks, it didn't matter. He knows how to talk to women. By that evening he had several women texting him wanting to spend time. It's always that way for him. No shortage of women interested in him. I work at Dr. Cole's office. Some of you who participate in this end of the forum may not know, but Dr. Cole is a hair restoration physician. My friend knows I work at Dr. Coles and is simply not interested in doing anything about his hair loss. He said at first, his hair loss bothered him, but doesn't bother him at all anymore.

Good self esteem is far more important to success in every aspect of your life than a full head of hair.

Bald Truth Forum:
    35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

Short, AINEC

But that doesn't mean it has to hold a person back. Just like hair loss.

Inactive

Being short, I imagine. Hair loss is more or less treatable given proper foresight and knowledge. Transplantation is consistently improving and more treatments will inevitably arrive. To contrast this, if you are short, your ONLY option for improving height is limb lengthening surgery. Not only is this insanely expensive (80k in the US and 15k in India) and an incredibly painful and arduous 3 month-long ordeal (with physical therapy and the like), the most you could ever add is around 3 inches.

If I had the time and money, I would do it if it wouldn't look disproportionate. I'm a bit under 5'11 and am insecure about my height to some degree. I would like to be taller. I hate that my genetics limit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    Being short, I imagine. Hair loss is more or less treatable given proper foresight and knowledge. Transplantation is consistently improving and more treatments will inevitably arrive. To contrast this, if you are short, your ONLY option for improving height is limb lengthening surgery. Not only is this insanely expensive (80k in the US and 15k in India) and an incredibly painful and arduous 3 month-long ordeal (with physical therapy and the like), the most you could ever add is around 3 inches.

If I had the time and money, I would do it if it wouldn't look disproportionate. I'm a bit under 5'11 and am insecure about my height to some degree. I would like to be taller. I hate that my genetics limit me.
    Yeah man... I hear ya over here... you know what i'd love to be able to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCsHTNP2MaU

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Yeah man... I hear ya over here... you know what i'd love to be able to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCsHTNP2MaU
    Ha, definitely. There are many things that I wish I could go back and change. But I suppose we have to make the best of what we have in the present if we want to be happy. I realized this when studying economics. Look at the past as a sunk cost (A cost that has been incurred and cannot be retrieved, making it pointless to consider in economic decisions). Move forward and work with what you have. Best of luck to you, brah.

Both can be successful with women as I have seen it happen with 2 of my friends. One was 5"5 but says he is now 5'4 never had any issues when we were teenagers. He had much better luck than me with women. I did notice though that it bothered him when we got older and he told me I was lucky to be normal. But he still got women but only short ones.

Fast forward to 2 days ago. I am at an office birthday party, mostly with women.

2 of the women start complaining about having so much hair and how it grows too fast. One of them says how she is thinking about doing a flat top as a pixie cut is not enough. I asked her what that was as I did not know. She says like hers is cut now, which is short but not super short. The other girl does have tons of hair and it is long. She is the kind of girl that is hot but doesn't know it. They both start talking about what it would be like to be shinny bald and not have to worry about their hair. Then they look at my friend-nw5-6 and shaves the rest. They start teasing him about being mr shinny and the whole room erupts with laughter. That went on for like 5 min and I can't believe how they are carrying on about it. But he takes it really well. But my point is this: I know for a fact that the hot girl has a thing for him even though she was one of the main teasers. I figured it out about a month ago. She is normally pretty quiet. Around me she talks a bit and has always been nice and friendly but that is it. But I have noticed she really can't stop talking to him or about him. This has been going on for about a month now. I have never seen this girl talk so much to anyone in her life. Also the same day another guy tells me that the women at another branch were asking him if my friend's divorce is final. He is totally bald, getting teased about it by a room full of women, yet I can tell they are very interested in him.

And yet compared to my 2 friends, I am "normal" as I am not really short and still have most of hair, yet still very single.

I have been trying to figure out what they do right and what I do wrong and I think some of you already figured it out. They know how to talk to them and most of the time I say the wrong things, only they are not wrong to me but I guess they are interpreted that way.

So I know hair/height issue can at least some of the time, not be an issue at all ...
    Best of luck to all...

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    2 of the women start complaining about having so much hair and how it grows too fast. One of them says how she is thinking about doing a flat top as a pixie cut is not enough. I asked her what that was as I did not know. She says like hers is cut now, which is short but not super short. The other girl does have tons of hair and it is long. She is the kind of girl that is hot but doesn't know it. They both start talking about what it would be like to be shinny bald and not have to worry about their hair. Then they look at my friend-nw5-6 and shaves the rest. They start teasing him about being mr shinny and the whole room erupts with laughter. That went on for like 5 min and I can't believe how they are carrying on about it. But he takes it really well. But my point is this: I know for a fact that the hot girl has a thing for him even though she was one of the main teasers. I figured it out about a month ago. She is normally pretty quiet. Around me she talks a bit and has always been nice and friendly but that is it. But I have noticed she really can't stop talking to him or about him. This has been going on for about a month now. I have never seen this girl talk so much to anyone in her life. Also the same day another guy tells me that the women at another branch were asking him if my friend's divorce is final. He is totally bald, getting teased about it by a room full of women, yet I can tell they are very interested in him.
    Very interesting story, thanks for sharing. I think one has to look for the answer in the acceptance of the fact (baldness) by the person. If he is cool enough to take jokes about it inside a group of people, and it shows, then they will get the message. And who knows, perhaps some women (adult enough, say beyond 25) would prefer a bald guy who does not give a rat's ass about his baldness, over an attractive one who cares too much about his hair (thus creating an atmosphere of insecurity).

This reminded me another story about a short and very mediocre (appearance-wise) girl in the university. She had though a very strong character and high self-esteem and managed to attract more guys around her than other nice looking girls. Attitude and good relation with one's self are key to success in every sector.