Coconut Oil - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil

Default Coconut Oil

Anybody else use it? Has a lot of applications:cooking, skin moisturizer, hair/scalp treatment.

I apply coconut oil and massage it to my scalp 4~5 times a week, right before I go to bed. I would do it more (every day), but it makes your hair look greasy, and will keep it that way until 3 days have passed or any amount of shampoo is placed (it takes very little shampoo). I don't want to shampoo more than 3 times a week, and I wouldn't recommend more than that for anyone (I'm ok with my hair looking greasy on days where I don't go to school and have nothing planned socially).

It has no negative effects whatsoever, so giving it a try doesn't hurt. At worst case scenario it acts as a conditioner, keeps hair healthy, and keeps blood flow to scalp, but there is nothing proven to suggest it does something for MPB or DHT.

Doctor Representative

Smile

Hi, there! Unrefined, virgin, organic coconut oil is what I use frequently as an all around skin moisturizer and occasionally as an over night scalp treatment. It's great because coconut oil not only deep conditions, but it's also a natural antibiotic and anti-fungal. When applied to the scalp, there is evidence to suggest that it helps prevent hair breakages (because of the naturally occuring lauric acid in the coconut oil). It'd be interesting to research more into the correlation between coconut oil and hair growth.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...p-hair-growth/

Good luck!

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

What about drinking coconut water? The one with the coconut chunks in it too. Will ingesting this tasty beverage also do anything?

Doctor Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    What about drinking coconut water? The one with the coconut chunks in it too. Will ingesting this tasty beverage also do anything?
    High quality coconut water is full of wonderful electrolytes like magnesium and potassium that is essential for proper hydration.. but I haven't seen any research concerning it's correlation to hair growth/slowing shed. I have heard of people using coconut water as a conditioning rinse for their hair, though. They claim that CW makes their hair a lot more manageable and shiny. Also, "Coconut water’s antibacterial, anti-fungal properties protect the scalp against dandruff, lice and itchy scalp, all of which can hinder hair growth."

Some great brands that I personally love, "Taste Nirvana Coconut Water" and, "100% Raw Harmless Harvest Coconut Water." The raw coconut water has the added benefits of enzymes that wouldn't be present in pasteurized CW. Another thing you could do is purchase a coconut from your local Farmer's Market or health food's store (Like Whole Foods..etc.) and take a hammer and a screw driver to it! Fresh, delicious, and cheap!

Reference: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/a...#ixzz2Xo9xH3oC

Doctor Representative
    UK available to meet London and south east.

I use coconut oil on my skin and hair, actually it makes a great cleanser also if you wipe with cotton wool or a pad after. I drink the water also and and buy it in cartons, 100% coconut water.

I do eat coconuts and crack and open them almost daily, there is a knack to it but worth the effort and gets easier with practice.
    Representative for IAHRS Member, Dr. Chris Bisanga
    View Dr. Bisanga's IAHRS Profile

Doctor Representative

http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2013/05/n...air-treatment/ <-- Here is a hair treatment using coconut oil and essential oils. I bet you could even add some liquid Saw Palmetto to the mask and gently massage this mixture into your scalp every night.
    I find it interesting that coconut oil is one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft and not just coat the hair strands.

P.S. Just a note about using coconut oil for one's face. Make sure you are using Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil, as the refined version is usually processed with many chemicals and has the tendency to clog pores.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAYoungMan View Post
    I apply coconut oil and massage it to my scalp 4~5 times a week, right before I go to bed. I would do it more (every day), but it makes your hair look greasy, and will keep it that way until 3 days have passed or any amount of shampoo is placed (it takes very little shampoo). I don't want to shampoo more than 3 times a week, and I wouldn't recommend more than that for anyone (I'm ok with my hair looking greasy on days where I don't go to school and have nothing planned socially).

It has no negative effects whatsoever, so giving it a try doesn't hurt. At worst case scenario it acts as a conditioner, keeps hair healthy, and keeps blood flow to scalp, but there is nothing proven to suggest it does something for MPB or DHT.
    Man, how??? I was putting Canola/Coconut oil on my scalp and massaging early in my hairloss "regimen" (if it can even be called that). Made my hair so greasy and it didn't even come right out the next morning. I guess I have relatively sorta long hair on top, but still.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

What if we wore the coconut on our head after finishing the drink from an actual coconut? You know how women put cucumbers and tomatos on their face? Can the same rule be applied here for the coconut meat except let it rest on our scalps?

What does putting coconut on your head have to do with fitness and nutrition? You gotta put it in your mouth to count it as "nutrition," guys...

That being said, I take about 50 grams of coconut oil to the face every day, and I love it. Tastes great, keeps your fat intake up, what's not to like?