Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chief Ohio
    • Oct 2012

Taking Propecia? Leave a comment!

So I'm seriously considering taking the leap this friday and start taking my prescribed bottle of propecia.

So after looking around the web i want to hear YOUR experience with propecia! Good or bad I'd like to get as many people to share as i can, especially those who have been on it for a long time! The more details the better,

I'm 20 years old and hopefully Fin can help me keep my hair through college!
  • DifferentLine
    • Feb 2013

I've only been on it 3 months, but thought I'd give you my experience nevertheless.

During the first 2 months I suffered intermittent low libido, and a decrease in penis sensitivity that lasted about a week, and testicle pain that was present pretty much every day. However, I've been on it 3 months now and have been side effect free for about a month. No results yet, but it's too early to tell.

I guess the point of this post is that you shouldn't give it up immediately if you do encounter mild side effects, I'd advise you to try and ride it out if they aren't unbearable.

Comment

• ryan555
      • Oct 2010

I took it for 14 years, from age 19 to 33. I had to quit due to a medical condition unrelated to finasteride. It regrew my childhood hairline and kept my hair at a NW0 the entire time I was on it, never losing a bit of effectiveness. I had a few minor side effects that I did not even identify until I stopped taking the stuff, mainly decreased body hair. I never had any sexual dysfunction and all. When I stopped (cold turkey) I got blood tests and confirmed that all my hormone levels all went back to normal within a week. When I started on it, no one ever referred to starting propecia as "taking the leap," we just took it. Nobody had any fear of side effects and nobody seemed to experience any.

Comment

• goldbondmafia
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DifferentLine
        I've only been on it 3 months, but thought I'd give you my experience nevertheless.

During the first 2 months I suffered intermittent low libido, and a decrease in penis sensitivity that lasted about a week, and testicle pain that was present pretty much every day. However, I've been on it 3 months now and have been side effect free for about a month. No results yet, but it's too early to tell.

I guess the point of this post is that you shouldn't give it up immediately if you do encounter mild side effects, I'd advise you to try and ride it out if they aren't unbearable.
        What do you mean no results yet? Fin is supposed to maintain what you have now...?

Comment

• Buster
          • Jul 2012

No side effects, but my hair is worse than it was before starting it, about 14 months ago.

Comment

• goldbondmafia
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Buster
            No side effects, but my hair is worse than it was before starting it, about 14 months ago.
            are you only taking finasteride or are you using minoxidil as well?

Comment

• BigThinker
              • Oct 2012

3.5 months on finasteride:
              -no sides
              -lots of shedding from ~2 month to current
              -a few hairs sprouting at hairline, though most likely just natural regrowth at this point.

My hair is worse snow than when I started. But, if the shedding is truly hairs changing phases to one day return stronger, then it'll all be worth it.

Comment

• Buster
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by goldbondmafia
                are you only taking finasteride or are you using minoxidil as well?
                Only Fin currently, may try minox soon, but I keep reading about bad experiences with it.

Comment

• abadacus
                  • Jan 2013

ryan.. I'm sure you have answered this before.. but after taking it for 14 years.. how did it effect your hairloss? instantly start losing it again or is it still there? how long has it been?

Comment

• ravegrover
                    • Jan 2011

Been on Fin for 15+ Years. No sides, maintains my hair. Most of my friends take it too. Go for it..

Comment

• DifferentLine
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by goldbondmafia
                      What do you mean no results yet? Fin is supposed to maintain what you have now...?
                      I've heard a lot of people say it doesn't work straight away, and that I should wait a full year before judging its effectiveness. It's possible I'm going through a small shed at the moment.

Comment

• DifferentLine
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by BigThinker
                        3.5 months on finasteride:
                        -no sides
                        -lots of shedding from ~2 month to current
                        -a few hairs sprouting at hairline, though most likely just natural regrowth at this point.

My hair is worse snow than when I started. But, if the shedding is truly hairs changing phases to one day return stronger, then it'll all be worth it.
                        How would you compare your shedding to pre-fin, more or less?

Comment

• ryan555
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by abadacus
                          ryan.. I'm sure you have answered this before.. but after taking it for 14 years.. how did it effect your hairloss? instantly start losing it again or is it still there? how long has it been?
                          I stopped over three years ago. It took a few months for me to notice a change in my hair. I quit minox at the same time and I think that wreaked more havoc on me, causing a pretty awful shed. My hairline has now receded about a centimeter all the way around, but it appears at the moment that my hair loss was never that extensive to begin with. The hair loss I experienced at 19 when I started taking it was most likely a maturing hairline.

Comment

• dpm1129
                            • May 2013

Can someone who has taken Propecia for diffuse pattern loss give their experience on the drug?

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by dpm1129
                              Can someone who has taken Propecia for diffuse pattern loss give their experience on the drug?
                              My hair loss is mainly diffuse. Fin thickened it up pretty well and then maintained. I started fin almost 3 years ago. I also used keto shampoo, 2% the whole time. Not sure how much that helped but I doubt it would have had much of a visible result without fin

Comment

Working...