Threaded View

Question Going to have a HT, How Many Grafts and Worried about work!?

I am looking to have a HT before the end of the year. I am still a bit apprehensive about it however as I have a number of questions which I still feel are unanswered even after talking to consultants and surgeons

1. The main one is about going back to work after. Ive heard that various amounts of time should be fine to take off work such as 3 days to 2 weeks. What I am looking for is that when I go back to work, at least initially, people dont notice I have had a transplant. In fact I could probably take 3 weeks off. Maybe a little more if really needed. Photos Ive seen on this site of people who have had transplants with top surgeons still seem pretty obvious after a couple of weeks that there is something very strange going on up there.
    Not all surgeons said I needed to cut my hair, although some of the ones Im considering did. For instance Hasson and Wong said Id need to shave the scalp. Surely this will look ridiculous for a long time!?
    Then of course there is the scar at the back. Its not obvious to me with that how long it will take for the scar to be camouflaged by my hair.

2. The other thing is Im very confused about the number of grafts I need to get. About 4 doctors have told me 1500-2500 grafts. However one of the big names told me 4000! Admittedly that was just an email exchange and Im going to meet a consultant from them soon so Im sure Ill get an explanation. However with such big disparities between them its making me apprehensive.