Threaded View

Default 18 years old. Need advice

Hello ☺

I’ve been a huge fan of this website for a while now, and just made the decision that I should make a post and find out what you guys think I should do. I think its amazing that people are genuinely interested to help, and that its easy to cope with this problem together!

PS: I have to excuse my English. Its like my third language. Never use it.

Anyhow. I am 18 years old (soon 19). And I have always had very long and thick hair. I’ve never thought about the issue with getting bald, because of my hair type. My father is almost bald, but he has a completely different hair type then me, so I never worried. But for almost a year a ago I saw I photo of my big brother (he is like 22). He has always had pretty thick hair and long hair – but not as thick as mine. In this Photo I saw for about a year ago he had lost a LOT of hair!! I mean he was going bald. No question. It must be said though that the fact that he was going bold was more noticeable because he had cut of a lot of his hair, so now you could better see his.. ehm.. Forehead?

So when I see this picture I get a little scared, and I go to the mirror. I then brush my hair (which is pretty long), away to see if I have a receding hairline. And guess what? It looks like I do… I’ve seen a couple of pictures of peoples hairlines on the forum and mine was pretty similar to this, just hidden by my hair falling over. So of course I start to worry a lot (I worry VERY easy). But I keep in mind that perhaps its always been like this? I’ve had long hair as long as I can remember, and cant find pictures which shows otherwise. But I start to worry a lot, and check the mirriors all the time – knowing that when I cut my hair it will look like I have a reeceeding hairline.

About a month of this “worrying”, something suddenly starts happening. My hair falls of! I know its like normal to loose 150 hairs everyday, but I am loosing probably around 300… This did NOT happend before about a month after I noticed my brother picture and my hairline. I have never noticed loosing a hair before.. But now when I am fixing my hair etc, I notice about 20 hairs attached to my hand. This had never happend before this startet!
    So I go see a doctor who we go to in my country for issues like this (directly translated it would be called a skin-doctor). She then says that hair falling off has nothing to do with getting bald… If you’re getting bald you wont notice this through your hair falling off.. It will just stop growing out. So she meant this would just stop.. But this cant be right guys? I mean…. It’s a connection between getting bald and your hair falling off? :S Right? Anyhow, she looks at my hairline and says its possible that its always been like this, or its happening now. I therefore say I want to get fin, and she gives it to me.. So I do have a Fin and I am wondering to start using it…

But after a while after I noticed my hairline (for about a year ago) I took measures of ehm.. my templtes – I think its called?. And they have grown like 1cm (I think, hard to measure) in about a year. I am 90 % sure they have grown atleast.

I am worried that when I am going to cut my hair shorter people will think it looks pretty dumb… Because it sort of does.. My hairline in front is okay, but when I push my hair back on the sides, You can see the huge “gaps” in the hairline. And I notice now after I have taken a shower that it really looks bad.. Might always been like this, but if not I need to stop it NOW! So I at some point may cut my hair and look presentable and not

So what the hell should I do? Thanks for ALL answers. And in writing moment, I am letting my hand run through my hair, and well.. There is a lot of hair coming out! Probably loosing about 350 hair today.