+ Reply to Thread

Default Success after rapid diffuse loss

Hi all, just thought I'd share my story to give all you diffuse hair loss chaps a bit of hope. I first noticed I was losing hair in December 2012. I previously had unbelievably thick hair so this came as a big shock. I was going through a rough time with family illness, job stress, but mainly relationship stress. And to add to that I had not long started working out and taking protein shakes which im pretty sure added to my hair loss. Anyway, the hair loss was so rapid it was not easy at all to get used to. After trying every shampoo and supplement under the sun, and spending money visiting derms (all said mpb was the case, not T.E.) to get second opinions, I bit the bullet and shaved my long(ish) locks off, down to a number 1. I was mortified to witness the extremity of my loss in the space of a few months. But I also noticed a distinct shine on my head which looked terrible. I then remembered a few months back when I noticed I had a lot of excess sebum, I read the only way to reduce it was to mimic sebum with jojoba oil. So went and bought some and started applying lots after showers in the morning. Then I'd get home from work and have another shower, and do the same again. My head is basically covered with a light layer of jojoba oil 24/7. Well its been two weeks, not a long time really, but my scalp is so much healthier - the shine has gone, the pain is going rapidly, and most importantly, I've almost completely stopped shedding. Perhaps this is a bit premature but I thought I'd let you guys know anyway. I have to say its a bit of a bittersweet result - I'm wishing I had done this ages ago when I still had a lot of hair. Now I'm very visibly thinning on top, I'm just hoping the improvement in scalp condition and the fact its not been long since I started shedding, will encourage hairs to start growing.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to encourage hair growth after stopping shedding?

Should also note i've been on fin for 4.5 months and I use organic tea tree shampoo every wash. Tried minoxidil but that stuff is not for me, dried my scalp out and was a general pain in the ass.

Keep us updated! Do you belive it is mpb or TE?

hey what's TE?

T.E. - Telogen effluvium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telogen_effluvium

Tbh I did think it was t.e. at the start because it was so sudden but I started to realise its more likely to be mpb as its all over the top of my head not the sides and supposedly with diffuse thinning a lot of the time people dont realise they've been losing hair until it gets to about 50% density so I could've been losing hair for longer than I originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by milligano View Post
    Hi all, just thought I'd share my story to give all you diffuse hair loss chaps a bit of hope. I first noticed I was losing hair in December 2012. I previously had unbelievably thick hair so this came as a big shock. I was going through a rough time with family illness, job stress, but mainly relationship stress. And to add to that I had not long started working out and taking protein shakes which im pretty sure added to my hair loss. Anyway, the hair loss was so rapid it was not easy at all to get used to. After trying every shampoo and supplement under the sun, and spending money visiting derms (all said mpb was the case, not T.E.) to get second opinions, I bit the bullet and shaved my long(ish) locks off, down to a number 1. I was mortified to witness the extremity of my loss in the space of a few months. But I also noticed a distinct shine on my head which looked terrible. I then remembered a few months back when I noticed I had a lot of excess sebum, I read the only way to reduce it was to mimic sebum with jojoba oil. So went and bought some and started applying lots after showers in the morning. Then I'd get home from work and have another shower, and do the same again. My head is basically covered with a light layer of jojoba oil 24/7. Well its been two weeks, not a long time really, but my scalp is so much healthier - the shine has gone, the pain is going rapidly, and most importantly, I've almost completely stopped shedding. Perhaps this is a bit premature but I thought I'd let you guys know anyway. I have to say its a bit of a bittersweet result - I'm wishing I had done this ages ago when I still had a lot of hair. Now I'm very visibly thinning on top, I'm just hoping the improvement in scalp condition and the fact its not been long since I started shedding, will encourage hairs to start growing.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to encourage hair growth after stopping shedding?

Should also note i've been on fin for 4.5 months and I use organic tea tree shampoo every wash. Tried minoxidil but that stuff is not for me, dried my scalp out and was a general pain in the ass.
    Hey man, how's your situation now. I am a diffuse thinner that has been experincing a 14 month shed while on fin. Did your scalp feel exta oily before yyou started to apply the jajoba oil? Did you have to continue to do this to keep from shedding? Let me know how youve been.