+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lifting weights accelerates MPB?

Will lifting weights accelerate hair loss if you're predisposed to MPB since it increases testosterone? (which then converts to DHT?) My mom's dad, grandfather, and brother are all NW7s...lucky me. I have my dad's hair type though and he has a full head of hair @55. It's nothing like my mom's side, they all have really thin hair and mine's like the complete opposite but I'm not sure if that means anything. My temples are a lot thinner than the rest of my head, but they've been like this for as long as I can remember.

Now I'm extremely paranoid about going bald before 30 since I found out it comes from the mother's side. I want to move on w/ life, but I can't stop thinking about it. It's in my thoughts 24/7... I'm 19 and I want to start lifting weights but now I'm worried that if I have DO have the MPB gene, lifting will cause it to start sooner than if I never started...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS94 View Post
    Will lifting weights accelerate hair loss if you're predisposed to MPB since it increases testosterone? (which then converts to DHT?) My mom's dad, grandfather, and brother are all NW7s...lucky me. I have my dad's hair type though and he has a full head of hair @55. It's nothing like my mom's side, they all have really thin hair and mine's like the complete opposite but I'm not sure if that means anything. My temples are a lot thinner than the rest of my head, but they've been like this for as long as I can remember.

Now I'm extremely paranoid about going bald before 30 since I found out it comes from the mother's side. I want to move on w/ life, but I can't stop thinking about it. It's in my thoughts 24/7... I'm 19 and I want to start lifting weights but now I'm worried that if I have DO have the MPB gene, lifting will cause it to start sooner than if I never started...
    Spencer said a few years ago that it doesn't. I understand the logic, but apparently there's no connection. At 19 you're dripping with testosterone anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by LT56 View Post
    Spencer said a few years ago that it doesn't. I understand the logic, but apparently there's no connection. At 19 you're dripping with testosterone anyways.
    From the ages 16 - 21 my testosterone levels were at their highest, however MPB was utterly non-existant for me, but as I grew older and my androgens declined, my MPB accelerated. True story.

Ok, so if I have no signs of MPB at 19 is it likely I will make it to at least 25 w/o hair loss? My biggest fear is being a full NW6 or 7 by the time I'm in my late 20s...I read all these horror stories of guys w/ rapid recession at 22 or 23, then in a few years time it's all gone.

I have no chest hair and sparse facial hair are those good signs too?

No one knows brah, stop stressing.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    No one knows brah, stop stressing.
    The only reason I'm being so paranoid despite having zero signs of hair loss is because there's 3 completely bald men on my mother's side...If it was just my maternal grandfather I wouldn't be as concerned, but her brother is a NW7 too. Does that mean my mom has TWO baldness genes (1 from dad and 1 from mom) giving me a 100% chance of going bald? :/

You're not listening.

It doesn't guarantee anything. No one knows, and there is no definitive way to tell.

You have no signs of hair loss? ****** off the forums, go live your life. Be happy!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS94 View Post

Speaking from personal experience, I would say that in general you will not excacerbate the situation provided you stick to the following:

1. Avoid Creatine or Anabolic Steroids - the latter in particular (a big no no)
    2. Eat a balanced diet, of protein, carbs and essential fats
    3. Incorporate aerobic exercise in addition to resistance training and follow a
    reasonable routine (i.e, no squatting or benching twice your body weight)

Conventional wisdom dictates that the temporary "spike" in testosterone caused by lifting will have a minimal effect of hair loss, as levels return to normal shortly after training. Also, bear in mind that many reports indicate a rise in testosterone whilst on propecia. The key element is the blocking of this hormone into DHT and less so, the level of normal testosterone within a given individuals bloodstream. AGA is directly influenced by one's genetic sensitivity to DHT which is unique to each person.

I won't pass the above of as gospel as I am neither a doctor or scientist but I believe there is merit in these point nevertheless.

Working on your physique will certainly reduce stress and improve overall body image so start with those benefits!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, I would say that in general you will not excacerbate the situation provided you stick to the following:

1. Avoid Creatine or Anabolic Steroids - the latter in particular (a big no no)
    2. Eat a balanced diet, of protein, carbs and essential fats
    3. Incorporate aerobic exercise in addition to resistance training and follow a
    reasonable routine (i.e, no squatting or benching twice your body weight)

Conventional wisdom dictates that the temporary "spike" in testosterone caused by lifting will have a minimal effect of hair loss, as levels return to normal shortly after training. Also, bear in mind that many reports indicate a rise in testosterone whilst on propecia. The key element is the blocking of this hormone into DHT and less so, the level of normal testosterone within a given individuals bloodstream. AGA is directly influenced by one's genetic sensitivity to DHT which is unique to each person.

I won't pass the above of as gospel as I am neither a doctor or scientist but I believe there is merit in these point nevertheless.

Working on your physique will certainly reduce stress and improve overall body image so start with those benefits!

Good luck
    Thanks...I was just curious because I read about this before and it would only make sense that you'd have more DHT w/ a testosterone increase, but I obviously have no idea how it all works lol. I see a lot of guys at the gym who are bald or have receding hairlines.

And you're right Clandestine, I don't know why I'm obsessing over this. I've been going crazy over this since I was 16 and yet my hair still looks the same...hopefully it will stay this way. Gonna go buy some weights now

No worries bratha.

Get a gym membership! A healthy body is a happy body.