+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I would argue that the "hormonal" changes to just make it to just BW or 1.5x BW prompt the changes you are talking about.

The significant majority of guys simply do not lift remotely heavy even remotely regularly, so not long after they start any real program the changes you are telling them to avoid are past and done with. Most guys can't even bench BW for a 5 RM and I'm a weird purist about that - if you can't bench your own BW for a 5RM then you're a DYEL (which is funny, I wouldn't have thought that a year ago)

I agree with your comment about "other aids" - and by that I mean direct hormonal "additives". Shakes and amino acids and Creatine etc are 100% natural, while tough to do with 'food' at the levels that may be needed -- you can't eat testosterone.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    I would argue that the "hormonal" changes to just make it to just BW or 1.5x BW prompt the changes you are talking about.

The significant majority of guys simply do not lift remotely heavy even remotely regularly, so not long after they start any real program the changes you are telling them to avoid are past and done with. Most guys can't even bench BW for a 5 RM and I'm a weird purist about that - if you can't bench your own BW for a 5RM then you're a DYEL (which is funny, I wouldn't have thought that a year ago)

I agree with your comment about "other aids" - and by that I mean direct hormonal "additives". Shakes and amino acids and Creatine etc are 100% natural, while tough to do with 'food' at the levels that may be needed -- you can't eat testosterone.

In all fairness, you may have some valid points here. I suppose the relative "damage" one could do by lifting their body weight or 1.5 thereof may not be proportionately safer than lifting twice the amount. I could not comment on that but the theory behind the implied risks I have discussed remains sound and refer to not only my years of training but also to my research. Again, I'm not offering this as gospel, just an informed opinion. Personally, I have no interest in benching ridiculous amounts but I would agree with you that serious lifters should at least be able to handle their own body weight. It all depends on your goals I guess.

These guys offer some interesting advice (and the endings of their vids always make me laugh!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnfNcYUBAAM

What about whey protein shakes, do they have any effect on hair loss? I'm underweight...6'2" and only 140 lbs so I want to gain about 15-20 lbs and just maintain that.

Apparently Creatine causes hair loss, whey does not.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS94 View Post
    What about whey protein shakes, do they have any effect on hair loss? I'm underweight...6'2" and only 140 lbs so I want to gain about 15-20 lbs and just maintain that.
    No, you need to gain about 35lbs...minimum! You would actually benefit from a GOMAD type diet. I'm 5'8.5 and weigh 166.

..to answer your question, no. But if you're thinking you can gain weight by drinking a protein shake you are incorrect. You will garner no benefit from them unless you lift weights and eat food, which is your primary problem unless you have a medical diagnosis of hyperthyroidism or some other bizarre hormonal imbalance that is preventing you from gaining weight.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Apparently Creatine causes hair loss, whey does not.
    Please differentiate between "cause" and "accelerate"

Creatine does not cause hair loss. It will accelerate the process if you are bound to it though.

Eh, I see your point.

It's bad for your hair. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    No, you need to gain about 35lbs...minimum! You would actually benefit from a GOMAD type diet. I'm 5'8.5 and weigh 166.

..to answer your question, no. But if you're thinking you can gain weight by drinking a protein shake you are incorrect. You will garner no benefit from them unless you lift weights and eat food, which is your primary problem unless you have a medical diagnosis of hyperthyroidism or some other bizarre hormonal imbalance that is preventing you from gaining weight.
    Yea, ofc. I used to drink them twice a day only before and/or after working out. I've always been tall and thin just like my dad. (Need around 3.5k calories a day just to gain like 1 lb.) My family says I look just like him, so I can only pray that I stay a NW2 like him. :S It seems like all my good traits only came from my dad's side...

Dude I've been working out hardcore since I was 19 and I'm 27 now. I think the whole working out and losing hair thing has no weight (no pun intended).

Even heavy use of creatine didn't cause an increase of hair loss, least for me. I would 100% stay away from Steriods though if you are concerned with hairloss or have a family history of hairloss, as it will accelerate the process for those predisposed to going bald. This I know as fact as I saw many college buddies have decent hair only to thin drastically after a few cycles.

Working out for me has been vital in keeping a solid libido and energy throughout the day. I have not noticed any increase hairloss in the years I have, minus the natural progression as a result of my genetic inheritance of mpb.

Bottom line: Workout, enjoy your life, but avoid STERIODS at all costs.

So is it normal for temples to be less dense naturally? I checked for miniaturization and there doesn't seem to be any, but my temples are probably only about 40% as dense as the rest of my head...I can see the individual hairs. That's also one of the reasons I started being paranoid in the first place. But again, they've been like this for as long as I can remember.

I'll see if I can post some pictures