Dr. Cotsarelis New Discovery that may finally cure Baldness (June 3rd, 2013)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breaking Bald
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Desmond84
    UK I don't know when xconomy edited their article, but they just added this in there:

[An earlier version of this story indicated that Follica used that protein, Fgf9, in its clinical trial. Olle later clarified that the protein, Fgf9, has only been involved in Follica's preclinical work so far].

So, FGF-9 never made it to human trials! It was being used in their pre-clinical studies prior to their Phae I/II trials (i.e. they only tested it in mice)...

That's OK though! They're onto something for sure
    I'm not trying to highlight the negatives here, obviously this is very interesting. But if no human trials have been conducted yet, then is is likely to be 3 years or so away?

All of this hype and secretiveness is very irritating, I would prefer that they told us about amazing news closer to the time of release.

Comment

• UK_
      • Feb 2011

Articles are cropping up now.

This one also mentions WNT proteins and their relation to FGF9:

Obviously according to some forum members at TBT (bigentries) the work of Histogen into follicular neogenesis using Wnt proteins is all bunk, and the company should be starved of any financial support.

Any thoughts bigentries? Any thoughts?

Comment

• bigentries
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by UK_
        Articles are cropping up now.

This one also mentions WNT proteins and their relation to FGF9:

Obviously according to some forum members at TBT (bigentries) the work of Histogen into follicular neogenesis using Wnt proteins is all bunk, and the company should be starved of any financial support.

Any thoughts bigentries? Any thoughts?
        That's a Follica article...

I don't see how Histogen failing in their Phase II results has anything to do with that article or a future Wnt-related cure

Comment

• Thinning87
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by UK_
          Follica are immensely secretive, it's very difficult to know exactly what they're up to, however I have never seen them come out and state in a news release they have shown human hair follicle regeneration, that is important to note.
          Let me add to this that it makes sense to think that if they release news like this, there definitely is some kind of business development reason behind it, be it looking to raise more funds, or looking to partner up for commercialization, or both.

They originally raised plenty of VC money but it's hard to estimate how much of it is gone and how close to their original business plan they are at this point in time. For sure though, I think this may definitely be a good sign as it might be a sign that they are trying to raise awareness for their technology which means they believe they are on to something.

God I can't wait to hear again from them, although I wouldn't be surprised if we hear again from them in 2-3 years...

Comment

• UK_
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Thinning87
            Let me add to this that it makes sense to think that if they release news like this, there definitely is some kind of business development reason behind it, be it looking to raise more funds, or looking to partner up for commercialization, or both.

They originally raised plenty of VC money but it's hard to estimate how much of it is gone and how close to their original business plan they are at this point in time. For sure though, I think this may definitely be a good sign as it might be a sign that they are trying to raise awareness for their technology which means they believe they are on to something.

God I can't wait to hear again from them, although I wouldn't be surprised if we hear again from them in 2-3 years...
            Yeah, I get the impression these spurts of information they release every few years has more to do with gaining an extra injection of capital from investors to carry them through to their next phase. Great point.

Comment

• bigentries
              • Dec 2011

Anyone figured out what the Phase IIA is or is it just bad journalism?

Is it just the peeling device or the lithium trial?

Comment

• Pentarou
                • Apr 2013

Wasn't there a user on HS years ago called coffee or something who had some results with lithium and dermarolling?

Comment

• Dazza
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bigentries
                  Anyone figured out what the Phase IIA is or is it just bad journalism?

Is it just the peeling device or the lithium trial?
                  Nope, having trouble finding the exact trial there talking about.

Comment

• Thinning87
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by UK_
                    Yeah, I get the impression these spurts of information they release every few years has more to do with gaining an extra injection of capital from investors to carry them through to their next phase. Great point.
                    Yeah but I want to stress that this is not a negative aspect, to the contrary it is a good thing. Just want to make this point, which also applies to Histogen and Replicel, because I know some in here are going to tell us it's bad as it probably means they have no money.

Comment

• UK_
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Thinning87
                      Yeah but I want to stress that this is not a negative aspect, to the contrary it is a good thing. Just want to make this point, which also applies to Histogen and Replicel, because I know some in here are going to tell us it's bad as it probably means they have no money.
                      ha! Yeah, and the company should be chastised for even subtly implying a need for more money: bad company!!! naughty naughty company!!! Now go off and find me the cure for hair loss while I sit on my fat backside whinging and whining doing nothing.

Comment

• Thinning87
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by UK_
                        ha! Yeah, and the company should be chastised for even subtly implying a need for more money: bad company!!! naughty naughty company!!! Now go off and find me the cure for hair loss while I sit on my fat backside whinging and whining doing nothing.
                        hahahah yeah

Comment

• szn
                          • Oct 2010

only thing i want to know is: when will this come to market and how much will it cost?

Comment

• young
                            • Jan 2012

Am I reading this wrong, or could they then just peel off a layer, and give you a whole new head of hair?

Comment

• burtandernie
                              • Nov 2012

Its something that kind of sounds like that but I mean realistically its not going to be anything as easy as that.
                              I see people arguing about whether its human or mouse. The jump is huge between those so if its in mice I dont see the point in even mentioning it until you get something in humans. Hopefully someday they can grow all the cells to replicate a human scalp and test with that verses using mice. Why not use stump tailed masque or whatever that resemble people a lot better.

Comment

• Pentarou
                                • Apr 2013

Here's my guess to how Follica's two-pronged treatment will work:

1. Scalp wounding + FGF9 for regrowth
                                2. GPR44 blocking topical for maintenance

Comment

Working...