Dr. Cotsarelis New Discovery that may finally cure Baldness (June 3rd, 2013)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UK_
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by hellouser
    Get in touch with Kane. I'm sure the dude will do whatever he can to support the balding community.

However, lets just hope it WORKS.
    Hmmm I think Thinning is right here, as this is gene therapy, I dont think it's in the leagues of KaneShop - but its worth a shot hey?

Still, it's better than anything Lauster has done

The greatest cause for celebration (despite the lack of progress from other companies) is that Follica is NOT DEAD.

Comment

• oppenheimer82
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Thinning87
      You guys can't replicate this stuff on your own. Relax, they're on phase 2A and have millions and brains behind them.

The best thing to do now is save money IMO. And while you're at it, skip a few weekend nights and do stuff to improve your career, or work out, do anything but don't waste money. I'd say even go out and shave your head! So when the time comes we'll be one step ahead of everyone... do you know how pumped we'll be if we have done all these things to improve our lives and then all the sudden hair is back!!!
      this is what excites me the most, phase 2a trials already conducted! dr cots was so silent all this time, now we know why.

Comment

• UK_
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by oppenheimer82
        this is what excites me the most, phase 2a trials already conducted! dr cots was so silent all this time, now we know why.
        Yes, they are not dead, they are alive, and this is nothing but an advancement of the WNT ligand model they discussed back in 2007, the model that everyone thought had died because they were talking about PGD2.......

Comment

• clandestine
          • Aug 2011

I think the forum needed a little good news and positivity. Looking better.

Comment

• bigentries
            • Dec 2011

Can anyone confirm that Follica is in Phase IIA? I don't see them in the clinical trials website and this is the first time I hear about them being so advanced in the trials

Comment

• Arashi
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by UK_
              Hmmm I think Thinning is right here, as this is gene therapy, I dont think it's in the leagues of KaneShop - but its worth a shot hey?
              Nah ,it's just a wnt growth factor, just like Dr Nigams has been using. The therapy itself is slightly different since they apply the growth factor after inducing small wounds, but it doesn't seem you have to be a professor to figure out how to do that

Comment

• FearTheLoss
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bigentries
                Can anyone confirm that Follica is in Phase IIA? I don't see them in the clinical trials website and this is the first time I hear about them being so advanced in the trials
                Yeah, I was looking for it too and couldn't find it. We should confirm this before getting all excited from a news report.

Comment

• Thinning87
                  • Dec 2012

yeah that's kind of important, also because there is also one article as far as I know that mentiones phase 2A, while others only generally mention "clinical trials on humans" or not even that.

I wonder if it's possible to test something and have the FDA keep everything private.

Comment

• bigentries
                    • Dec 2011

yeah that's kind of important, also because there is also one article as far as I know that mentiones phase 2A, while others only generally mention "clinical trials on humans" or not even that.

I wonder if it's possible to test something and have the FDA keep everything private.
                    One article also talks about "pre-clinical trials"

Edit.

Apparently it's being done in Germany

Other sources from past years suggest that Follica isn't interested in revealing anything from the trials. Maybe that's why they've been so silent these years

Comment

• hellouser
                      • May 2012

You guys can't replicate this stuff on your own.
                      Why not?

Comment

• Thinning87
                        • Dec 2012

Why not?
                        you're right, it's probably not impossible, but with all the talk about possible risks with taking too much HSC, I'd be careful what you put on your scalp.

If this is a product that will create small wounds to create new skin and follicles, that pretty much means no matter how old and bald we'll be in five years we'll have the cure.

In that case, I think time is better spent preparing for being able to have that cure the moment it comes out, rather than wasting energy and time into imitating something that might be more complex (and dangerous) than we expect it to be.

Comment

• hellouser
                          • May 2012

you're right, it's probably not impossible, but with all the talk about possible risks with taking too much HSC, I'd be careful what you put on your scalp.

If this is a product that will create small wounds to create new skin and follicles, that pretty much means no matter how old and bald we'll be in five years we'll have the cure.

In that case, I think time is better spent preparing for being able to have that cure the moment it comes out, rather than wasting energy and time into imitating something that might be more complex (and dangerous) than we expect it to be.
                          I think the time being spent would be best put towards getting laid. But I'd still put in the effort in keeping and regrowing my hair.

Comment

• clandestine
                            • Aug 2011

Some insight from reddit;

Originally posted by karatemike 239 points 2 hours ago*
                            I worked on some of this stuff for a few years, it's really fascinating. I'm glad to see some more progress has been made. Cotsarellis is a very smart man (as is Sarah Millar, she's briliiant) and his lab is consistently publishing some great work.
                            One of the major impediments for moving this to humans is targeting and delivery, though. I'm curious to see what the next steps in the research path are.

EDIT: Since this is my top-level comment, I want to add a comment here. One thing people need to keep in mind is that while institutions like UPenn are handling the basic biology research, the development of this sort of technology is handled by biotech companies that license the tech. These companies are likely to be smaller biotech firms with investment boards that control the direction of research through application of funding, simply looking for a quick home run to make a lot of money off of a proportionally small investment. This leads to a massive shift in the priorities of the company, where the focus is not refining the technology and science but instead on moving through trials as fast as possible to get to market. If they miss on a significant result during trials, it could lead to a massive withdrawal of investor funding.

EDIT 2: To people complaining about the speed of research, you cannot begin to comprehend how complicated an issue this is. The hair is basically a mini-organ, complete with it's own set of stem cells, that exhibits cycling behavior. There are a large number of factors affecting how the hair grows and regresses and we do not understand how a lot of these factors interact. You might as well ask why we can't make fingers regrow yet, it's a very complicated problem. With the basic research being performed in mice, translating this to humans may take a very long time.

Comment

• Thinning87
                              • Dec 2012

I think the time being spent would be best put towards getting laid. But I'd still put in the effort in keeping and regrowing my hair.
                              hahaha ok you win!

Comment

• Thinning87
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by clandestine
                                I disagree on his view about biotech startups possibly missing important stuff because they look for quick homeruns; this is not necessarily true, although it does happen. But it seems more like the usual cautious tone everyone likes to have when this stuff comes out.

Look, if they are doing human trial experiments and are in phase 2A then this means they had some kind of insight or results in phase 1. All this cautiousness related to how the theory is based on a comparison with mice is unmotivated. It's not like they took a mouse and regrew hair on it and said "look we did it!", this is much more than that.

Comment

Working...