+ Reply to Thread

Default LLLT for baldness

I would like to have Surgeons weigh in on whether or not they think Low Level Laser Therapy ( Revage 670 etc) is an effective treatment for baldness.

Many Thanks
    Kathy

Question

What type of laser are you using in your demonstration? At what wave lengths is the laser functioning? At what wave lengths is the LED emitting? Beyond simply using your eyesight, how are you measuring how deeply any light is penetrating? How are you measuring the light density, wavelengths, etc? I'm just curious because the method shown in your youtube video does not follow the scientific method. You should be trying to prove your hypothesis wrong, not what you can to do to make yourself look like you're right.

Default Lllt

I agree emphatically with Dr. Feller. He told me about his video when i chatted with him in Amsterdam, but this was the first time i've actually seen it. The video was actually quite entertaining.

The studies looking at medications and lasers are based on photography. This is the worst means of assessing hair growth. While there is ample evidence that medications increase hair growth, there is not good data to support the benefits of LLLT.

I advise patients to give it a shot simply because some feel they benefit from it. The cost is miniscule in comparison to surgery or a lifetime of medications. Furthermore, the risks are essentially non-existent. Therefore, i see no reason someone should not try it.

I get concerned about physicians who sell package treatments in their office, however, because this is quite costly to patients. I keep waiting for these physicians to present at least one remarkable before and after photograph, but several years later we are yet to see a single amazing result from LLLT.

My experience with medications such as Propecia are usually disappointing, as well, but occasionally you see a results that makes you say, "wow". I've never had this occur with LLLT.

In summation, it can't hurt so give it a whack if you have nothing better to do with your money. Don't pay thousands of dollars to have a physician treat you in your office. Don't expect too much.

If you had a great result, I'd love to see it. It would be great to see something beneficial to people who are concerned about their hair loss.

Default Biothera in Toronto doesn't work

I wish I had read up on the internet before paying Biothera. Luckily I only paid them half up front. My suspicions should have been raised when the woman at the clinic didn't even know how to take a proper picture of the state of my hair prior to my first treatment - but they've got you hooked in on emotion and the desire to have hair so you plunk down the money. Further, she didn't even seem concerned that there wouldn't be a proper picture when it should be one of the most important things in the process. Maybe she did it on purpose to obscure the evidence in the future.

Luckily for me I have tons of my own pictures that you can actually see the hair for my own evidence as it has not worked in 3 months.

Good luck to all.

I personally don't think that the laser light does anything to directly stimulate the follicle. I do however think that it helps to create a healthy scalp environment by decreasing inflammation and improving circulation. From my personal experience with a properly powered device, it has completely eliminated all my scalp itchiness.

I tried the Lasermax which did roughly jack sh*t, and have only been using a proper device for under a month. From researching LLLT in general, it's clear that not all devices are created equal. It's important to get the right combination of power, wavelength, and coverage to give yourself any possibility of success. And even then, it's by no means a miracle cure. At best it's an alternative to the (crappy) pharmaceuticals. (I get sides from fin, even in small doses.)

I'm not someone who just believes what I hear on the internet, either. I'm an engineer, and I've done quite a bit of reading. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence of success from individuals that put together adequately powered devices. It's no miracle, but it's a solid, low risk alternative to those who experience sides or don't want to take the minoxidil gamble.

Here are some pretty plausible results that I think a lot of people could experience, using the same information I am working with.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Th8EnPDowo

Oh and never pay a clinic. For a fraction of the cost you can build one yourself from easy online instructions or find someone to make one for you. There are a couple guys who are doing it now.

Default To Dr. Cole and Dr. Feller

This question is for Dr. Cole and Dr. Feller,

I really want a FUE procedure done. I am fully aware of the white dot scaring. I have brown skin, but I really want FUE since I wanna cut my hair short, but I know scarring will probably still show....Please advise me as to how to proceed. I know both of you are Geniuses with FUE....All I know is I want a FUE, cuz I cut my hair short to a number 1.5.

btw, I am not on any alpha 5a inhibitors; I just want something to frame the face (500-700 grafts)...