+ Reply to Thread

Default A few questions about finasteride

Hey guys, I've been a lurker on hair loss forums for a while, and while I like to think I've learned a great deal about MPB, there are still a few questions regarding finasteride that I hope to have cleared up.

1) Can taking finasteride every third day cause your endocrine system more harm than good since you aren't giving your body a chance to get used to the medicine?
    --The reason why I ask is because when I first started finasteride, I took 1.25mg every day, but experienced heavy side effects on the 9th day, panicked, and changed my dosing schedule to .625mg every third day (to which I continued for a good 3-4 months). My side effects (low libido, difficulty maintaining an erection) continued, albeit not nearly as badly (if I had to put a number on it, I'd say I felt 75% normal). I know this seems counterintuitive to assume my sides could go away if I took .625mg every day opposed to every third day with the hopes that my body would adjust, but just a thought. Any ideas?

2) What is the argument on where mental side effects come from (if you believe they even happen in the first place) on finasteride? I thought finasteride only inhibited 5ar type II, which apparently is not found in the brain and is not responsible for creating allopregnanolone. Personally, when I was on the drug, I felt rather calm, almost as if things didn't affect me (for better or worse) as much -- could this have been the infamous "brain fog?"

3) Has anyone had any success pairing finasteride with natural aromatase inhibitors, to keep estrogen in check? I remember at one point while I was on fin, I took 60mg of zinc for a week straight and felt pretty freaking fantastic, rock hard erections, no mood swings or self-pity about my hair loss, etc. Is keeping estrogen in check really the key here to beating fin sides?

Appreciate it fellas

1. Some people have had success using Fin on an eod schedule or spread out even more. Some use it only twice a week and claim to see positive results, I guess it all depends on the individual. Finasteride has such a short half-life that spacing it out too much may send your hormones on a rollercoaster so to speak which could be counterproductive.

2. Brain Fog is simply a lack of mental clarity. It is definitely real as a lot of Fin users have reported it as a notable side effect. I can't say for sure where it comes from but Finasteride does cross the blood-brain barrier.

3. I have no knowledge of this perhaps someone else can help with this one, lol!