+ Reply to Thread

Default When should I start finasteride?

Hello guys, what is the absolute minimum age, in your belief, for propecia/fin?

What was your experience like using it? (Side effects, hair regrowth/maintenance).

I know the FDA believes 18+, but I hear people using rogaine at 15, while it also says it should not be used until 18.

Thanks in advance.

(I'm hoping to use it at 16, as I'm currently 15, but if there is legitimate reason not to do so, I won't.)

Minoxidil is completely different from Finasteride. Minoxidil works by widening the blood vessels in the skin and opening potassium channels thus stimulating growth. Finasteride on the other hand inhibits 5ar lowering DHT levels. At your age it would not be wise to even touch Fin let alone consume it as you are still basically developing. I'd say no younger than 18 years old to start but even that is young IMO.

Never?

Isnt your prostate still developing before the age of 18?

Merck said a lot of crrrrazy things to the FDA, one of them was that they felt DHT had no real purpose in the male human body.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    Minoxidil is completely different from Finasteride. Minoxidil works by widening the blood vessels in the skin and opening potassium channels thus stimulating growth. Finasteride on the other hand inhibits 5ar lowering DHT levels. At your age it would not be wise to even touch Fin let alone consume it as you are still basically developing. I'd say no younger than 18 years old to start but even that is young IMO.
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm not even considering to go close to it before 17 now, but is starting rogaine at 15 or 16 ok? And if all it does is widen blood vessles and open pottasium channels, then why does it claim, on the bottle, that it should only be used by people of ages 18+?

Also, could you give me an explanation on duasteride as well? Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAYoungMan View Post
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm not even considering to go close to it before 17 now, but is starting rogaine at 15 or 16 ok? And if all it does is widen blood vessles and open pottasium channels, then why does it claim, on the bottle, that it should only be used by people of ages 18+?

Also, could you give me an explanation on duasteride as well? Thanks so much.
    The worst Rogain could maybe do to you starting it early will make you get wrinkles and saggy skin earlier than you should. Probably not a big risk but I don't know.
    I'd say go ahead and use Rogain. Nothing big to worry about, but it's a pain in the ass to apply every morning and night.

Definitely don't touch Fin till at least 18. Some people say minimum 19.

Alternatively you could go to a shrink and work on your over reliance on physical appearance and then just go bald gracefully.
    Or get into hair replacement early (by far the best option if you can afford it).