+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Most ethical docs want young men to wait and see how/where their respective hairloss progresses until they at least reach their late twenties or so. This makes sense for the obvious reasons. And they encourage these young guys to get on finasteride soon and then wait and see how they respond to low dose finasteride. If they do not respond favorably, then surgery can potentially be a trap and disaster.

IMHO, family history is still the best long term indicator of where one's MPB is headed. Sure, most of our older family members did not have low dose finasteride and even minoxidil at their disposal and many of them did not use the initial prescription form of minoxidil when it first was introduced to consumers approximately four decades ago. Yet today I know of countless men that have the upper classes of hairloss in their family histories and continually have been able to greatly slow down the rate of loss because of finasteride.

Since 1980, an extremely high percent of men that I have dialogued with who began experiencing hairloss in their late teens and early twenties regretted starting HT surgery. Many of them were "sold" into having surgery and not informed of future loss and the fact that they would run out of donor. And yes many of them did not take any hairloss meds until the late nineties when Propecia was approved and released for treating MPB which has made a more stable platform for them.

Many of them had low hairlines established and had open donor (plugs) when they still were in the lower classes of hairloss. Then, as their native hair was lost over time, the plugs stayed and they had a real dilemma on their hands. Many of them sustained massive visual scarring and many are still seeking corrective measures.

It addition, it comes down to one's own hair quality. I know of guys who hit Norwood class 6 but had outstanding hair characteristics with "superb hair caliber". Some had a nice wave or curl which also helps with the illusion of coverage. Hair caliber is the most single critical factor considered in attaining the visual illusion of coverage.

There are more and more guys experiencing long term efficiency with low dose finasteride. Without question this has IMHO allowed more guys to sustain their restored appearance for much longer time periods than the distant past.

And along with a very conservative hairline frame to start with, restoration is indeed more viable with todays technology and techniques including FUE. Still, it is highly advisable to keep the density at a lower level to start with and even lower as the coverage is transitioned from the frontal zone to midscalp.

How does your crown look? You probably would want to leave the crown alone for now. Undoubtedly at your young age, you will need multiple procedures as you get older.

If it were me, I would still wait it out. There are definitely more options today that there were in times past. Just make sure your goals are conservative, always planning for future loss and keep your expectations realistic.

Be sure you understand the risks as well as the benefits regarding HT surgery!
    Thanks, that was some good information. Like i said, my goal from the HT is to have it last atleast until im 30 years old. Im on propecia right now and it works great, pretty much stopped my hairloss. I dont even want to go for a low hairline rather a higher one with more density. Would that be a realistic goal to achieve? I understand hairloss is most likely going to progress but i feel like throwing away my 20s and waiting until later to get this done is a waste. Being in your 20s and going through baldness is a nightmare. I have no problem shaving it all off when im in my 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Being in your 20s and going through baldness is a nightmare. I have no problem shaving it all off when im in my 30s.
    I'm telling you, do not assume that you're just going to shave it and forget it in your 30's. You will regret it big time if you end up not being able to shave your head due to scars, or you run out of donor and have large gaps, etc. These are very real possibilities and hair loss, especially with HT-related scarring and density issues, can be a problem that plagues you for the rest of your life. I had the same attitude about "just getting through my 20's" and now I am 36, have lots of money, have a hot wife, and I am still bothered by hair loss. And I wish to God I did not have a scar on my head and still had the wasted donor hair. Propecia or not, you are too young for a hair transplant and no good surgeon is going to operate on you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I'm telling you, do not assume that you're just going to shave it and forget it in your 30's. You will regret it big time if you end up not being able to shave your head due to scars, or you run out of donor and have large gaps, etc. These are very real possibilities and hair loss, especially with HT-related scarring and density issues, can be a problem that plagues you for the rest of your life. I had the same attitude about "just getting through my 20's" and now I am 36, have lots of money, have a hot wife, and I am still bothered by hair loss. And I wish to God I did not have a scar on my head and still had the wasted donor hair. Propecia or not, you are too young for a hair transplant and no good surgeon is going to operate on you anyway.
    What age did you get it done? What did you get strip or fue? and did propecia work for you ?