+ Reply to Thread

Question Considering a hair transplant with Dr. Feller- need guidance

Hello Guys, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm a 48 year old guy with significant frontal recession primarily in both temple areas (corners). I have a strong patch of hair in the front center. I have consulted with Dr. Feller, and was very impressed. He seems like a genuinely great guy, and I felt comfortable with him immediately. He told me that he would perform a "strip" surgery, and transplant approximately 2400 grafts in the temples and front hair line area. I'm a very fair skinned guy with blonde hair. My hair is very fine in texture, thanks to my mother. My donor area is strong per comments from the Doctor, and I have not had any HT is the past.

Here's my concerns:

1. I'm a very anxious type of person, and frankly I'm just afraid of having surgery. A hair transplant is not something I want to screw up. I will be wearing the results for the rest of my life. With that said, I could probably man up and just do it.

2. I'm worried about the scar in the donor area healing. Do you guys know if anybody has long lasting problems with the donor area not healing properly? Also, I was wondering if there is much pain involved?

3. I'm worried about shock loss in the frontal area. Dr. Feller said he would not touch the center area in the front, just fill in the temples on the sides.Is shock loss a potential issue for the hair remaining in the front center?

4. I'm worried about the new hair transplants growing. Is there ever a problem with the transplanted hairs not taking?

5. Does anybody have experience with Dr. Feller, and the results of his work, especially on the front hairline?

6. Does my blond hair color and fine hair texture have any effect on the results? Most of the advertised HT before and after pics that I see are guys with dark coarse hair.

I appreciate any help or comments you can offer.

THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by justinh919 View Post
    Hello Guys, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm a 48 year old guy with significant frontal recession primarily in both temple areas (corners). I have a strong patch of hair in the front center. I have consulted with Dr. Feller, and was very impressed. He seems like a genuinely great guy, and I felt comfortable with him immediately. He told me that he would perform a "strip" surgery, and transplant approximately 2400 grafts in the temples and front hair line area. I'm a very fair skinned guy with blonde hair. My hair is very fine in texture, thanks to my mother. My donor area is strong per comments from the Doctor, and I have not had any HT is the past.

Here's my concerns:

1. I'm a very anxious type of person, and frankly I'm just afraid of having surgery. A hair transplant is not something I want to screw up. I will be wearing the results for the rest of my life. With that said, I could probably man up and just do it.

2. I'm worried about the scar in the donor area healing. Do you guys know if anybody has long lasting problems with the donor area not healing properly? Also, I was wondering if there is much pain involved?

3. I'm worried about shock loss in the frontal area. Dr. Feller said he would not touch the center area in the front, just fill in the temples on the sides.Is shock loss a potential issue for the hair remaining in the front center?

4. I'm worried about the new hair transplants growing. Is there ever a problem with the transplanted hairs not taking?

5. Does anybody have experience with Dr. Feller, and the results of his work, especially on the front hairline?

6. Does my blond hair color and fine hair texture have any effect on the results? Most of the advertised HT before and after pics that I see are guys with dark coarse hair.

I appreciate any help or comments you can offer.

THANKS!!!
    I think that your concerns are warranted and it's smart to ask a lot of questions before having surgery. Dr. Feller is no doubt one of the best, but if you're only having your temples filled in and you say that you are concerned about the scar healing, FUE might be a better choice for you.

FUE is less traumatic, in most cases, and can achieve similar results without the linear scar, if you go to the right doctor. I know that Dr. Feller does FUE so you might want to ask him about that.

I think your blond hair can help the final look, especially if you have light skin, so even though you have fine hair, you might have to move less to have a really nice result.

Being as nervous as you are about things, you should definitely ask Dr. Feller about FUE in your case.

Thanks for your advice! Do you know how many grafts can be done in one FUE session?

Quote Originally Posted by justinh919 View Post
    Thanks for your advice! Do you know how many grafts can be done in one FUE session?
    Should have no problem getting the 2400 you were originally considering.

I haven't had a traditional HT with Dr. Feller, but he did perform some FUE graft extractions on my hairline from a pluggy transplant done in the 90's. He's a top notch surgeon and very easy to get along with. He is not a doctor who is going to mess you up and at 48-years-old with only frontal recession, I'd think you're likely to end up with a great and long lasting result.

As far as pain goes, there is very little. The initial injections sting for a second and then there is really no discomfort during the procedure. I've had MUCH worse times at the dentist.

You made some great points Dr. Feller. Love the video answers!

Exclamation

I have to say, I do like the video replys ... would like to see other Docs do this. nice touch.

Justin. I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here and suggest you research as much as you can about FUE. 2200 grafts is not a big procedure with this method. Couple good examples of current threads on this forum....

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11337

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11540

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12428

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...highlight=cole

Most had similar patterns as you describe. All had over 2200 FUE placed. My personal opinion is to avoid a strip at all costs. I have had 5 strips and 2 FUE's to date and my opinion is from personal experience. At 48 your a great candidate for a HT. Definitely FUE. I'm hoping other FUE Docs chime in on this thead.... It opens up a good discussion. As long as you do what you need to maintain your current hair, FUE will leave you with almost unlimited hair style options, won't cause redirection of hair above and below scar, far less recovery period and discomfort, virtually no scalp numbness. The nice thing about FUE is you can introduce yourself with a small procedure to see how you respond with little loss. There is really no testing with a strip. Once you cut, your cut. Research and talk to a lot of patients on this forum as well as MD's that do Mostly FUE and those that do Strip. Use your own judgment to make your decision. If your still not sure...... do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Feller View Post
    Great idea giving a video response. Very interesting and helpful so thank you very much

Like others have said. Hope other doctors will do this as well.