+ Reply to Thread

Default Help Aloe Vera Crisis

Hi to all.
    Need some Urgent advice...I'm now day 8 post op but becoming really concerned as following all the post op care i have a problem as have been applying aloe vera 99% gel to my recipient(and donor) both morning after washing my hair and again at night.

Now i can't seem to get the aloe vera gel off my head when i wash my hair and I've had this since day 5 (its day 8 now)

A little comes off but theres a 2mm film on my recipient/donor area and concerned maybe my transplanted hair may not breathe because of this??

Has anyone experienced the same as i seem to be doing exactly what is on the post op instructions.

Can anyone relate to this or may have had similar issues?

Im just really worried as do not want to effect my end result

Thanks

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slickster View Post
    Hi to all.
    Need some Urgent advice...I'm now day 8 post op but becoming really concerned as following all the post op care i have a problem as have been applying aloe vera 99% gel to my recipient(and donor) both morning after washing my hair and again at night.

Now i can't seem to get the aloe vera gel off my head when i wash my hair and I've had this since day 5 (its day 8 now)

A little comes off but theres a 2mm film on my recipient/donor area and concerned maybe my transplanted hair may not breathe because of this??

Has anyone experienced the same as i seem to be doing exactly what is on the post op instructions.

Can anyone relate to this or may have had similar issues?

Im just really worried as do not want to effect my end result

Thanks
    Post-surgery concerns/worries are very common. Working at Dr. Cole's office we commonly hear patients express post-op concerns. Some patients are reluctant to vigorously wash, brush, massage, comb and touch their recipient area even a few months post-op. You should contact your doctor for advice at 8 days. Dr. Cole's surgical technicians recommend our patients gently rub their recipient area while shampooing even at 8 days post-op. Aloe Vera should not be anything to be concerned about. When I was a teenager, I rebuilt a carburetor and without thinking washed the parts with my bare hands up to my wrists in caustic carburetor cleaner. It didn't kill the hair on my hands. DHT messes with our minds and makes us think we need to baby our hair or it will fall out.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 10:51 AM.

slickster,

I agree that aloe vera will not hurt your grafts. If there is too much residue build-up, try allowing high pressure from the shower head to really beat down on your scalp when rinsing. This should help remove the excess.

You can also try diluting the product with water in a separate bottle and shake to mix evenly. Then apply the diluted liquid over your scalp, rinse well, and you're good to go.

And at this point you may want to consider applying it once daily instead of twice. Even a high quality moisturizing shampoo/cream rinse will help greatly for a dry scalp. You can run this suggestion by your doctor as well.

Happy regrowth to you!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks 35YRSafter and Gillenator glad to get some helpfull responses, ive started massaging more vigouresly when washing my scalp so aloe vera nearly all goes,and now day 10 im rid of 70% of te scabs.

Question for Gillenator

You mention this below

You can also try diluting the product with water in a separate bottle and shake to mix evenly. Then apply the diluted liquid over your scalp, rinse well, and you're good to go.

Do you mean dilute the gel then put it on your scalp..then rinse it off??

I thought you should try and leave the aloe on the scalp (for the day till the next wash)to help the scabs left over and the redness??

Thanks

slickster,

Yes that was what I was referring to. Simply dilute the gel with water. Start with very small amounts of water because you do not want to over-dilute the product.

I really cannot see your aloe product but have seen and used similar gel and it is quite thick in substance. You can also use warm water which will help dissolve the product and it will mix more thoroughly with warm water.

Pour it over the top of your scalp in the shower first. Allow it to drench and soak your scalp. Then rinse after you have completed washing your body. This allows the diluted aloe mixture to sit on your scalp for roughly 5-10 minutes before your rinse off.

This should help with the excess build-up of the product on your scalp and allow the pores of your scalp to breathe.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Agree completely. Aloe is very safe.... you just used too much and didn't wash properly. At day 10 you'll be safe to use a little more effort with the shampoo. I'm a fan of aloe. However, I diluted the gel with distilled water and put it in a spray bottle. I applied it this way. I also did not use the aloe on the recipient area, only the donor for the first week or until the scabs came off. You certainly could, I choose not to and allow the healing to work itself for that time frame.

Good luck with your hair growth...

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

How long did the clinic where you had your procedure recommend that you use the Aloe Vera for?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile