+ Reply to Thread

Default Losing hair and losing hope.

I am 19 years old and I am losing my hair. I used to have long and thick hair and now it's grown thin and in my temples non existent. I'd say I'm about a Norwood 2, maybe worse and its really destroying my confidence. I recently tried going for the buzz cut look, but it only looks worse and since I've done it actually gotten worse. I used to be a really handsome guy with a great head of hair, in fact it was probably my most attractive feature, but now...now its leaving me.

At the place I work we wear hats so I can keep it a secret, but one day my coworkers asked to see my hair. I took off my hat and saw the two girls jaws drop and gasp, but when I asked why they reacted so harshly they didn't say anything. I knew why, and I'm sure they knew I knew. They weren't the first reaction of my hairline permanently burnt into my memory and they probably won't be the last.

Some people say to just shave it all off, be bald and beautiful but I do not have the face type to go bald, I'd probably look worse than I do now with my buzz cut. Depression is something that I've always dealt with and losing my hair is just making it worse. Suicide has come to mind a lot, nobody could ever be attracted to what I've become. Some nights I look at myself in the mirror and think that this life just isn't for me. I could keep going on and on and why I'm so depressed but then I'd be getting very off topic of my receding hairline

I recently moved far from home for school and live on my own, but managed to save my money up for some Rogaine (mostly by not going out in fear of my up and coming, mother nature forced chrome dome). I really, really, really hope it works even just in the slightest bit because I look terrible.

What am I to do?

Get on propecia and start rogaine asap. Propecia will stop your hairloss or slow it down, and rogaine will thicken it up. Propecia is going to cost alot so you might want to ask your parents for some help.

I would get on finasteride. The generic cost me around $3 a month at Walmart. There is hope and there are some great new treatments in the pipeline. Here is a link to some pics of meds only From Dr. Bersteins page. He is a IAHRS member.http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/

I'm also a young hair loss sufferer as you mate. I started with minoxidil at the age of 19½ (I'm 22 atm) and it worked pretty well in the beginning (it regrew hair but didn't stop the hair loss).

I've also spend almost all of my money on different kind of hair loss treatments (expensive shampoo, supplements, creams, you name it) and it's been total waste of money. All this because I've been terrified of the finasteride sides.

I sure do regret it today that I didn't start with finasteride back when my hair loss wasn't that severe.

My tip is to start of with minoxidil, Nizoral and if you notice that your hair loss is getting worse then get on finasteride or maybe saw palmetto.

Options:

1) Do nothing, buzz it short.
    Pros:
    Least invasive on your life style.
    Looks like it doesn't bother you.
    Least expensive.

Cons:
    Still obvious that you're balding
    Feel helpless as you watch your hair slowly disappear.

2) Get on meds. Aggressively treat your loss with meds/transplant.
    Pros:
    Best retention of hair.
    Feels like you're doing something.

Cons:
    Expensive and time consuming; pills rule your life.
    Meds may not work and might have sides

3) Shave it and get fit.
    Pros: Looks self-sufficient and is a reasonably common haircut nowadays.
    Might "hide" your baldness by embracing it.
    Feels like you're improving aesthetically as you watch your gains in the gym.

Cons:
    Expensive and time consuming; razors are expensive and working out takes time.
    You have done nothing to address the root cause of your hair loss.

These are your options. Just giving it to you straight, though if you're like me you've already spent hours on forums before joining and posting on this site. I'm guessing you've already reached these conclusions, sorry to patronize if you have.

It's your decision, don't let people tell you what you should do. But if you're going on meds, do it now.

Finasteride has the potential for sexual side effects. Always research before committing.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Exclamation

Hey there Prize' heed the logical advice you have received thus far..It may seem frightening to you CURRENTLY but you need to stop focusing so much on your hair.. Most people (if not all) around you are NOT focusing on your hair as you are.
    YOUNG MAN , and I intentionally emphasize that aspect of you, because YOU will be one of millions who will benefit from the future hair loss 'cures' coming our way.
    'Cures' and or VIABLE treatments that is . You have friends here that share the same pain that you do bro. Stick around and do not ever become negative - no need to.

Losing hair? That's fine. It's happening to probably all of us on this forum.

Losing hope? When you're this close? When there is already a large amount of protective measures you can take, such as rogaine, propecia, hair transplantation, lazer combs, and so many others alongside a bright future where hair loss is nearly guaranteed to be solved soon?

Ask your parents for some money. Get on propecia, rogaine, and if you really need it, a hair loss concealer (caboki, toppik, etc.). I wouldn't recommend it unless you really really feel you need it, though.

There's so many worse things in the world than losing a black substance on the top of your head. I know it isn't that simple, but I'm undergoing the same depressing problem as you, but then I realize that there's so much worse. There are probably villages in Africa where the entire community would go bald for a complete meal, both males and females.

It's important to realize you're not alone. There's millions of others undergoing the same problem as you. It's tough, yeah. Getting depressed over it is reasonable.

But here you have options. You can either get over it and try your best to stop it and live the rest of your life or get depressed over it and live a shallow life. No one can make that decision for you.

Thinking of taking yourself out over hair is not the answer. Hell your closer to cure than when most of us were 19 many many years ago. Time is on your side. Relax. Go out and have fun. Chubby girls with hot friends give the best BJ's anyways

Start Rogaine & Fin will buy you some time. I suggest combining with diet & exercise. Give it a year and reassess. No improvement but no regression is a win.

Thank you to all who have replied. I would like to say I have my hair buzzed to a 2 setting, it's not the best look for me, but it's the best I can do for the time being. I have also started working out a lot more and eating healthier. On top of all that my rogaine has started today, hopefully it works.

I'm hoping my hairline will get better, I'll bulk up, and maybe get some tattoos and keep my hair very, very short. I'll post more every so often to explain my progresses whether it be good or bad.

Again, thank you all so much for all the great advice. It was much needed and even more so appreciated. I am not alone, and I will do better.