+ Reply to Thread

Default Age for Propecia?

I want to try to get on propecia as soon as possible (I have read about the side effects, but its a risk I'm more than willing to take), so I have 2 questions?

1. When did you (if you did) start taking propecia? If you did not, why not?

2. What do you believe to be the minimum age for propecia? As in what age and below should be completely forbidden from taking propecia?

Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by JustAYoungMan View Post
    I want to try to get on propecia as soon as possible (I have read about the side effects, but its a risk I'm more than willing to take), so I have 2 questions?

1. When did you (if you did) start taking propecia? If you did not, why not?

2. What do you believe to be the minimum age for propecia? As in what age and below should be completely forbidden from taking propecia?

Thanks so much
    18 and up...not even a question of what we believe..the FDA says 18.

started at 20, wish i started at 18, but I didnt even know it existed then/didn't think much of my hairloss.

then it started getting agressive at 19, started on minoxidil and finally after hitting close to a NW3 started on it about a year ago(well 11 months). I think it's maintained, definitely not much growth if any though.

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    18 and up...not even a question of what we believe..the FDA says 18.
    I've heard of people getting it off the internet at age 17 and not facing serious side effects. Just wondering if some younger people took it and how their experience was.

I've heard of people getting it off the internet at age 17 and not facing serious side effects. Just wondering if some younger people took it and how their experience was.
    what norwood are you?

the reason it's 18 is because you're still developing under that age, so taking something like this that changes your system can have poor consequences on your body.

if you're already a high NW, say NW2 or 3 then yes maybe go for it, but if it's still early just start with minoxidil, wait the year and go on it at 18.

Thanks for the info rdawg, at the moment I'm a norwood 1~1.5, but I'm only 15, so I highly doubt I'll be able to hold off till 18. I'm hoping to start at 17.

I have an appointment with the nearby dermatologist in 2 weeks, so I'm going to ask him the best things to do.

As for now, for the past 3 weeks I've slept not later than 10:00, 9:30 usually, and consumed as much DHT limiting food as possible, like pumpkin seeds, soy milk, tofu, liver, etc.

I also plan on using saw palmetto and nettle root soon. Want to try to stay away from store medication as long as possible and remain natural.

As for the side effects of propecia, what are they? I've heard that is some sort of sexual issue. If its just something like slighly decreased libido or slight pain on testes, I'm willing to undergo it for the sake of my hair. But if its something more dangerous like testicular cancer or something of that degree, maybe I'll have to reconsider propecia.

As for the side effects of propecia, what are they? I've heard that is some sort of sexual issue. If its just something like slighly decreased libido or slight pain on testes, I'm willing to undergo it for the sake of my hair. But if its something more dangerous like testicular cancer or something of that degree, maybe I'll have to reconsider propecia.
    Make sure you actually have MPB and not just a mature hairline, at 15 many develop a mature hairline that may look like a NW1( a few of my friends went through this).

if it is MPB, just start with minoxidil, it should help you for a while at least.

side effects I dont personally experience any, but you may lose some libido, watery semen, maybe slight pain in that area yes. If you do experience only minor effects, try and wait it out, they may go away, if you lose your libido or something major like that, just get off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    Make sure you actually have MPB and not just a mature hairline, at 15 many develop a mature hairline that may look like a NW1( a few of my friends went through this).

if it is MPB, just start with minoxidil, it should help you for a while at least.

side effects I dont personally experience any, but you may lose some libido, watery semen, maybe slight pain in that area yes. If you do experience only minor effects, try and wait it out, they may go away, if you lose your libido or something major like that, just get off of it.
    Thanks for the info rdawg. Sorry, I'm asking a lot from you and probably annoying you, bit a few more things, if you don't mind.

I'm hoping its not MPB and just a maturing hairline, but do you lose more hair when your hairline matures? I don't find my pillow/bed with any hair whatsoever, but there's quite a lot of my hair in my room and bathroom. To add on, I lose a considerable amount (15~25 strands of hair) every time I shower. Other than that, I don't seem to be losing noticeable amounts of hair, other than the rare occasional strand.

When my hairline started receding I started closely investigating the hairlines of others, and 6 other kids in my grade had recession at around the same level of me. Some were worse, and some were slightly better. However, my dad went completely bald at a young age (26) but he took no preventive measures whatsoever. My maternal grandmother also went completely bald at age 50, but he took 20 years to go from norwood 2 to 7, also taking no preventive measures. He was a slow receder, if I do have MPB, I hope that's the case for me too.

I don't really mind sexual side effects as I quit masturbating just in case it had any correlation with hair loss. So I don't really care about sexual side effects short of infertility (I do want to have kids).

I have a dermatologist appointment coming soon, and having been praying to gods of every religion that is just a maturing hairline.

If it is, I'm going to start with saw palmetto and rogaine. If its not, I'll never forget how easy it is to take things for granted.

It can be a risk taking it that age, but then again...it may be worth trying. Some men do take it under age 18 and havent reported problems. It's totally up to you, understand the risks, and make a decision.