+ Reply to Thread

Default 27 Thining badly

After a life of thick hair I noticed around 4 months ago I was thinning badly on the crown. I'm not sure why. My Dad is starting to thin but he's almost 60 so I'm not sure why mines happening so fast and young. I heard that maybe acutane causes it and I did take it when I was 15-16 years old. I was hoping some one could help me with some question.

-How long before I should abandon Rogain? I've used it for 4 months now and had zero response.

-How long until I abandon Propecia? Once again I've been taking it for 4 months and if anything it's gotten a little worse. Do people really regrow hair with it and I've seen several different numbers when it comes to success rate?

-Why don't Dr.'s like giving hair transplants to people my age? I would like to solve the problem once an for all and never worry about it getting wet & looking bad or the Nanogen rubbing off when I want to wear a hat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've fallen into a bad depression since I've noticed and I can't shave my head because I've already got a scar on my scalp, a large mole, & it just doesn't suit my head shape. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated

Although Rogaine says to give it 4 months before seeing results, it is almost universally agreed upon by actual users to use it for 12 months to see what it would actually do for you. With Propecia, the "It has gotten worst" story, I read it a lot, I think it's probably a shed, which s normal. Again, 4 months on Propecia and Rogaine is just not enough to make a clear assessment on what the treatments are doing for you. If you are really impatient and really can't wait 12 months, at least wait 9 months.

Then there is also Dutasteride/Avodart. I have seen members here claim that Propecia did not work for them, then switched to dut and it actually lowered their DHT.

Like other members would probably ask you, how would you know for a fact that propecia is working if you do not even get your DHT levels checked before getting on the drug? Or did you?

I'm just going off of appearances. How do I go about checking that? I take it I have to go to a specialize Dr or something? Is it 12 months just to see any results?

I don't know if I'm going to make it 12 months. I've really shut down any social life since I've noticed. Not to mention the financial aspect. 70$ for the Propecia, 30$ for the rogaine. It makes it seem like $4,000 to get a HT and be finished with it is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by pensfan View Post
    I'm just going off of appearances. How do I go about checking that? I take it I have to go to a specialize Dr or something? Is it 12 months just to see any results?

I don't know if I'm going to make it 12 months. I've really shut down any social life since I've noticed. Not to mention the financial aspect. 70$ for the Propecia, 30$ for the rogaine. It makes it seem like $4,000 to get a HT and be finished with it is the best option.
    When you say $70 for Propecia, do you mean 70 a month? Because you can just get generic finasteride for much cheaper. Way cheaper.

$30 for Rogaine? I'm going to assume you mean $30 for 1 bottle of Rogaine a month? Which is what I used to buy when I didn't know Rogaine sold packs of 4 for $60. There's also generic Kirkland's foam that go for 6 cans for $60.

Fin and Minoxidil are dirt cheap now. The price should be the last problem nowadays.

I'm paying 70 a month for fin and 30 for a rogaine. Which would be worth it if there was even a little resemblance of hope. It says right on the Rogaine booklet that if there isn't any progress after 4 months it probably isn't going to work for you.

Well for $80 you can get 360 days of fin. And like I said, you can get 4 Rogaine cans for $60, it's even right on their official website, you can purchase it right from Rogaine.com. $30 for one can is a robbery and it's just a way of stores making a pretty good profit to say the least.

I have the booklet too, i've read that years ago. Generally, people know it would take longer than that. But if you feel better following the booklet then do that.

Have you been taking pictures to actually see what's been going on?