+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would get a hairline done with Gho because then you can shave it and have no scarring..and then if you want to keep the buzzed look without having ht again, just do SMP

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    I would get a hairline done with Gho because then you can shave it and have no scarring..and then if you want to keep the buzzed look without having ht again, just do SMP
    From what I have gathered, fue basically leaves no mark, and wouldnt be visible if I have my hair at 1 or above? I thought about SMP for 5 minutes but the idea of it fading, being different colour to my hair, just seems a little too much for me.

Just go to a FUE doctor with a good reputation and get a consult see what they say. You've only been on meds for a month, so it may be wise to wait a year and see if your hair has maintained at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    From what I have gathered, fue basically leaves no mark, and wouldnt be visible if I have my hair at 1 or above? I thought about SMP for 5 minutes but the idea of it fading, being different colour to my hair, just seems a little too much for me.
    Fue does leave visible scarring and if worst case scenario happened (nw7) and you needed to shave it to the bone then you couldn't because you would have white dots from Fue. That is why I recommend you get your transplant with Gho.

but it's your decision in the end.

I have to repeat this again because I really think you are making a mistake having anything done right now. You look great with a shaved head, you should really consider waiting!

I also think you need to take all surgical advice coming from forum posters with a grain of salt. If someone is promoting a specific doctor making unproven claims, just make sure you really do your research. It's always best to go with someone with a proven track record, but honesty in your case, you should try to hold off having any surgery until you see how the meds are working for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    I have to repeat this again because I really think you are making a mistake having anything done right now. You look great with a shaved head, you should really consider waiting!

I also think you need to take all surgical advice coming from forum posters with a grain of salt. If someone is promoting a specific doctor making unproven claims, just make sure you really do your research. It's always best to go with someone with a proven track record, but honesty in your case, you should try to hold off having any surgery until you see how the meds are working for you.
    I do agree with you, and in a perfect world I would wait a year to fully see how I react to the meds, but we aren't in a perfect world... and I am going Uni next september (2014), and I kind of wanted it out the way by then... I guess I could wait until june next year, then have 3 months post surgery before Uni.. which would hopefully mean it wasnt obvious I just had a HT.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I began losing my hair at an early age. It felt like my life fast-forwarded from 21 to 45. I can certainly understand your desire to get your hair loss under control and out of your mind. I work at Dr. Cole's office and he will seldom perform hair transplant surgery on anyone under 29. It's important for you to consider your family history of hair loss. Does your father have much hair loss? How about your mother's father? Sometimes men get nailed with a Norwood 6 or 7 by genes generations back. My brother in law went to deep recession in his 20's and it stayed that way for the rest of his life without any hair loss in the back. There are many variables to consider.

We have a patient who had recession in his early 20. He went to a well-known doctor who has a reputation for youthful, straight-across hairlines. He hated the result and later had Dr. Cole remove the grafts, raising his hairline 1/2 inch and restore his natural recession.

We had yet another patient in for repair who had a youthful, low hairline grafted by another clinic and lost hair behind the grafts leaving an unnatural band of hair on his forehead.

Please exercise wisdom and caution as you move forward.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LowHairlineRepair.jpg

Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	21238  
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 01:14 PM.

[QUOTE=35YrsAfter;125802]I began losing my hair at an early age. It felt like my life fast-forwarded from 21 to 45. I can certainly understand your desire to get your hair loss under control and out of your mind. I work at Dr. Cole's office and he will seldom perform hair transplant surgery on anyone under 29. It's important for you to consider your family history of hair loss. Does your father have much hair loss? How about your mother's father? Sometimes men get nailed with a Norwood 6 or 7 by genes generations back. My brother in law went to deep recession in his 20's and it stayed that way for the rest of his life without any hair loss in the back. There are many variables to consider.

We have a patient who had recession in his early 20. He went to a well-known doctor who has a reputation for youthful, straight-across hairlines. He hated the result and later had Dr. Cole remove the grafts, raising his hairline 1/2 inch and restore his natural recession.

We had yet another patient in for repair who had a youthful, low hairline grafted by another clinic and lost hair behind the grafts leaving an unnatural band of hair on his forehead.

Please exercise wisdom and caution as you move forward.

I dont understand the argument... so I just have a terrible hairline all through my 20s because theres a chance further hair may fall out.

So what? Like I say I dont care if my crown thins, I am going to clip my hair so the hair on top will be barely noticeable.

Plus can anyone answer this, I have a scar on the back of my head from accident as a kid, quite noticeable, shown below.. should this effect type of surgery I have, anyway of making this less noticeable, can you transplant hairs onto scar tissue?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Kid, you are far too good looking to mess with yourself. See how the meds work and be thankful for your parent's awesome genes! Now go out an enjoy your life!
    Well said. Much too young. As long as the side effects of Propecia don't bother you, stay on the Big 3 ( propecia, Rogaine, nizorial shampoo ) religiously for minimum 1 year and re-evaluate at that point. It takes this long to really get a full effect. Take good hi quality photos to help evaluate. If you continue to loose hair, your going to want to avoid a transplant anyway. If you get positive results, you may want to wait longer and see what happens. Just don't jump into anything yet.....once you start, you can't go back. If you were 46 and had this look I'd say the same thing with the big 3 but might suggest start researching a great FUE surgeon. The chances of you heading to a norwood 6-7 at that age is slim.... but at 24, you just don't know.

We may be seeing a lot of positive changes in the industry over the next couple years anyway... wait and see what happens. For now:

nizoral - 3X a week
    Rogaine - (or generic 5% foam) 2X a day. with your cut it won't effect your look what so ever.
    propecia as your MD prescribes

Biotin can't hurt either but is mostly for hair quality and growth rate.

happy growing!

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post
    Well said. Much too young. As long as the side effects of Propecia don't bother you, stay on the Big 3 ( propecia, Rogaine, nizorial shampoo ) religiously for minimum 1 year and re-evaluate at that point. It takes this long to really get a full effect. Take good hi quality photos to help evaluate. If you continue to loose hair, your going to want to avoid a transplant anyway. If you get positive results, you may want to wait longer and see what happens. Just don't jump into anything yet.....once you start, you can't go back. If you were 46 and had this look I'd say the same thing with the big 3 but might suggest start researching a great FUE surgeon. The chances of you heading to a norwood 6-7 at that age is slim.... but at 24, you just don't know.

We may be seeing a lot of positive changes in the industry over the next couple years anyway... wait and see what happens. For now:

nizoral - 3X a week
    Rogaine - (or generic 5% foam) 2X a day. with your cut it won't effect your look what so ever.
    propecia as your MD prescribes

Biotin can't hurt either but is mostly for hair quality and growth rate.

happy growing!
    Ok this is my thinking.

I don't do anything, I carry on having a horrible hairline throughout my 20s, and feel rubbish about it.

I get a hairtransplant, get a good hairline, carry on with medication and enjoy my 20s.

Possible negative of hairtransplant.. I have a hairline but am bald on top and go too a norwood 7... what difference would this make if I shave my head anyway? It would still leave me with a hairline to frame my face.

If I don't get hairtransplant I am not going to carry on taking propecia and risk my health for clipped hair with a terrible hairline, whats the point.