+ Reply to Thread

Default Where would you start?

I'm 26 years old. Diffuse thinning. Worse part of my thinning is in the vertex/crown area with moderate thinning in the front but I have for the most part kept my hair line. I'm looking into pulling the trigger on a Hair Transplant (FUE) this fall.

I would prefer to have the area worked on that is the thinnest first. That would be my crown/vertex reigon. The doctor I'm currently emailing back and fourth presented me with a drawing of doing my frontal area with 1600-1800 grafts. I feel like I will not be happy with my results from a graft in an area that isn't a concern of mine yet. I'd still be bald in the back and on top which I feel would make this a pointless surgery and I'd still be resorting to wearing the trusty baseball cap to conceal my balding. Who knows if I could even afford a new baseball cap after a surgery that would still leave me bald/balding. What suggestions do you have for me? I have uploaded my pictures and the pictures the doc gave me of the area he wants to work on. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	doctor1.jpg

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	21192   Click image for larger version

Name:	josephs3.jpg

Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	21193   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).jpg

Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	21194   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg

Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	21195   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg

Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	21196  

I think you should call the show, and share your hairloss story with Spencer and get some good advice from him before you jump into surgery. Diffuse thinning can be a bit problematic when it comes to transplants, and filling out the crown can be bad strategy, because it is, like Spencer calls it "a black hole" where you can place a lot of graft with little result. As i understand, it is better to focus on the front to mid scalp to frame the face. I am just a Random guy on the internet, so call the show and get some advise from a man who knows, what there is to know, about the hair loss industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger norwood's View Post
    I think you should call the show, and share your hairloss story with Spencer and get some good advice from him before you jump into surgery. Diffuse thinning can be a bit problematic when it comes to transplants, and filling out the crown can be bad strategy, because it is, like Spencer calls it "a black hole" where you can place a lot of graft with little result. As i understand, it is better to focus on the front to mid scalp to frame the face. I am just a Random guy on the internet, so call the show and get some advise from a man who knows, what there is to know, about the hair loss industry.
    Thank you for your suggestions Tiger. I can see why the doctor recommended I have the treatment done in the front area. It would make more sense but economically I feel I'd be paying a lot more in the future for more transplants down the road when I really don't want to do more than 2 of these surgeries in my life time. I feel like paying for a smaller surgery would be less cost effective since you end up paying more per graft. I will try and get some advice from Spencer as well.

You'll probably never get to where you think you want to be with a transplant with your extensive hair loss and if you are a diffuse thinner, you run the risk of donor shock loss and a poor quality result.

It probably would be a good idea to call the show like Tigernorwood suggested so that Spencer could maybe talk you out of having surgery. I can't even count how many times I've heard him tell younger guys not to have surgery and it's always interesting to hear someone call back and say that they listened and it was a great decision.

I'm not sure is Spencer would agree with this, but maybe you should try like a light shadow of temporary SMP to see if that gets you through a couple of years. You are wearing your hair really short anyway and at least it won't be permanent. See if it works in the crown and them move forward maybe? You should ask Joe Tillman from H&W about that.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    You'll probably never get to where you think you want to be with a transplant with your extensive hair loss and if you are a diffuse thinner, you run the risk of donor shock loss and a poor quality result.

It probably would be a good idea to call the show like Tigernorwood suggested so that Spencer could maybe talk you out of having surgery. I can't even count how many times I've heard him tell younger guys not to have surgery and it's always interesting to hear someone call back and say that they listened and it was a great decision.

I'm not sure is Spencer would agree with this, but maybe you should try like a light shadow of temporary SMP to see if that gets you through a couple of years. You are wearing your hair really short anyway and at least it won't be permanent. See if it works in the crown and them move forward maybe? You should ask Joe Tillman from H&W about that.

Just a thought.
    I was looking into the scalp micro pigmentation as well. I actually like the idea of having that done. I feel like that is definitely a much safer choice but I am just afraid of it looking weird or when my hair turns grey i'll still have these normal dots on my head haha. I don't normally wear my hair this short. This was me trying to transition into seeing what I'd look like with my hair cut at a #1 since I had a freak out and thought this would look better than my longer thinning hair. This route was actually a lot worse for me than I had anticipated. I probably won't be able to accept hair loss any time soon and I know a completely shaved head will not suit me at all so I will be trying to do everything I can to have a good outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by toolittletoolate View Post
    I was looking into the scalp micro pigmentation as well. I actually like the idea of having that done. I feel like that is definitely a much safer choice but I am just afraid of it looking weird or when my hair turns grey i'll still have these normal dots on my head haha. I don't normally wear my hair this short. This was me trying to transition into seeing what I'd look like with my hair cut at a #1 since I had a freak out and thought this would look better than my longer thinning hair. This route was actually a lot worse for me than I had anticipated. I probably won't be able to accept hair loss any time soon and I know a completely shaved head will not suit me at all so I will be trying to do everything I can to have a good outcome.
    That's why I suggested the temporary kind of SMP and to start from the crown up. If it looks good in the crown you can do it slowly to the rest of the scalp and see how it looks. I would not do the front first, in case you hate it or it looks unnatural. It is supposed to fade in like two years, so you can see how it goes as you get older and not worry about it being a permanent thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    That's why I suggested the temporary kind of SMP and to start from the crown up. If it looks good in the crown you can do it slowly to the rest of the scalp and see how it looks. I would not do the front first, in case you hate it or it looks unnatural. It is supposed to fade in like two years, so you can see how it goes as you get older and not worry about it being a permanent thing.
    Thank you payday. I actually missed over the word temporary in your reply. My mistake! That actually does sound like a very good idea I must say! Thank you. I actually may consider trying this out and see how I like it. I have only heard of the HIS hair clinic and I am close to NYC. Would they be a good place to start or are they just the name brand Bosley type clinic?

Not a wise decision to get work done on the crown first

http://spexhair.com/the-crown-important-or-not/

"We must always be mindful that the large crown can drain the donor reserves, and that transplanted density is often best “spent” on the top, in the frontal area, and at the hairline."

So i've had a couple estimates for the SMP treatments. It is around $3000 for 2 treatments. $800 if a 3rd session is required. What are your opinions on this price. Price isn't a concern to me but the results are. So can any of you guys give me an idea if this is the right move for me. I'd really like to have it done this summer so I can sport the close hair cut while its ungodly hot. I also don't want to rush into it because I haven't seen too many reviews about this particular area of expertise in disguising hair loss. If you guys could give me any more info and maybe some pros and cons I might get it done this summer and i'd definitely be happy to post my results honestly on this board and a few others too to document my journey.