+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Another 20 years old experience thinning and interested in Propecia

I'll give you guys a little background on all this in hopes that you guys can give me your best advice. I am a 20 year old who has began to experience thinning on the top of my head. Over the past six months, friends have pointed it out with remarks like, "are you kind of thinning up there?" I am not a very observant person, but I don't remember ever having extremely thick hair, but it is obvious me that I have some thinning. Because I am young, I am very interested in treating this (if I go bald later in life, fine, but I'd like to postpone a little longer.) Everyone in my family has their hair, granted all the men have thinned, but all of them have it. At the same time though, their thinning didn't start until late 30s. I'll post some pictures to give you guys a better idea. My first question is I just want to get a general idea from you guys of where I am at in terms of thinning. Secondly, I'd like to know if a general practitioner would be able to diagnose my problem based on looking at my scalp.

Btw, the pictures I posted my hair is a week removed from getting a buzz cut at level number two. I got the number two buzz today last week. Do you guys think I am a candidate for Propecia? I am interested in discussing the medication with my doc. Thanks brothas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg

Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	21187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg

Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	21188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg

Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	21189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg

Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	21190  

This is my first thread started on this site, so I don't know how long it usually takes for people to respond to topics, but any advice would be appreciated. I'm the type of person that likes to solve a problem immediately just to get it out of the way, and that's why advice would be helpful!

Here's a couple more photos.

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg

Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	21197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg

Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	21198  

So take Propecia, and if it doesn't give you sexual side effects you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    So take Propecia, and if it doesn't give you sexual side effects you're good.
    Do you think my general practitioner would be able to diagnose me and write me a prescription?

I would say you might have some thinning, pretty surprised your friends noticed as it seems very minimal, but yes, you could be a candidate for Propecia, and yeah no reason why your local dermatologist/GP wouldn't prescribe it.

There is some light thinning, but its not bad at all. Barely noticeable.

I'd say get a prescription for finasteride. If it doesn't work consider rogaine as well. Wish you the best of luck!

Since a lot of my finances are dependent on my parents, what do you guys recommend being the best way to approach them with trying to get on Propecia? I mean I can pay for the prescription all by myself (I'd rather have their help obviously,) but I'm still on their insurance.

Here's another picture for ya guys with some strong lighting! So I talked to my parents, and they basically has the attitude of you are old enough, do what you want to do, so I am making my appointment Monday and will hopefully get an expert opinion.

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg

Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	21287  

Hey dude regarding insurance. I got prescribed for propecia three days ago, the prescription themselves were not insured because it was considered a cosmetic issue, so blue cross and blue shield didn't do shit. Cost me 179 for 90 pills which I'm splitting. Just heads up