+ Reply to Thread

Default Is 5mg propecia too much?

I noticed my hair loss started at 18 with very little thinning on top but it didn't bother me at all. Fast forward to age 20, it's gotten very noticeable and now i'm starting to panic at this point. I started minoxidil last June and was only doing it for three months. I didn't think it was actually working out for me. Now at 21, I went back on it in January when my hair loss was getting worse. It seems as though my hair is still thinning out and I'm hoping propecia can work out for me if I use it with minoxidil and nizoral (i'm not on nizoral yet). I've heard good things about using all three together. Though i'm not sure if I should take the 1mg or 5mg dosage (yes I will be using this stuff without a prescription, at this point i'm desperate to try anything that would work, side effects or not). I heard that the difference between 1mg and 5mg is actually just 1%, and taking 5mg can put you at a higher risk from the side effects. If so I will probably order the 5mg and cut them in half. Has anyone else heard of this or know about it? Thanks.

Just buy the 5mg tablets and cut them into quarters. You will be taking 1.25mg a day. The difference in DHT suppressed between 1mg and 5mg is negligible.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

There are no studies showing that taking more than 1 mg of Finasteride is any more effective in slowing down the progression of hair loss.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile