+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best in the UK?

Default Best in the UK?

Hey, I've been thinking of getting a transplant for some years now. I'm 34 and somewhere between a norwood 2 and 3. I've been taking finasteride for about a year and a half, then switched to dutasteride for about a year now. I don't think it's made a great deal of difference, maybe thickened it up on top a bit and slowed the receding. But I haven't had any growth in the areas that I care about, like the front of my forehead.

Now from what I've read, a lot of the best transplant doctors are based in the US? This was the opinion I saw a couple of years back anyhow, so I was wondering what the current situation in the UK is? Obviously if I go for something like a hair transplant, I want it to be perfect first time and want to minimise the risk as much as possible. So I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Or is it worth holding off having a transplant? I've seen other possible treatments mentioned in the news, such as injecting blood into the scalp I think. So, how far have these treatments come, and will they be around in the next couple of years?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualmark View Post
    Hey, I've been thinking of getting a transplant for some years now. I'm 34 and somewhere between a norwood 2 and 3. I've been taking finasteride for about a year and a half, then switched to dutasteride for about a year now. I don't think it's made a great deal of difference, maybe thickened it up on top a bit and slowed the receding. But I haven't had any growth in the areas that I care about, like the front of my forehead.

Now from what I've read, a lot of the best transplant doctors are based in the US? This was the opinion I saw a couple of years back anyhow, so I was wondering what the current situation in the UK is? Obviously if I go for something like a hair transplant, I want it to be perfect first time and want to minimise the risk as much as possible. So I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Or is it worth holding off having a transplant? I've seen other possible treatments mentioned in the news, such as injecting blood into the scalp I think. So, how far have these treatments come, and will they be around in the next couple of years?

Thanks.
    If you ever listen to TBT, Spencer always says that if possible stay close to home if you go for surgery, even though traveling abroad to see a specific doctor that you feel most comfortable with can be ok too.

I personally traveled to another state to have my eyelids fixed, but it was only a 4 hour drive and 2.5 hours by train and my surgeon gave me the name of someone close to where I live in case there were any problems. Luckily everything went well, but I knew that in the worst case I could just hop on a train and see my surgeon in a few hours. For me, closer just made better sense.

It seems like Europe has some of the best HT doctors now, so you should do some more research before jumping on a plane.

If you live in the US, there are plenty of talented ethical surgeons to choose from. And like Payday stated, if you had any complications or issues post-op, it would be difficult and expensive to fly back.

For example, how would you feel if your regrowth was not satisfactory and the UK doctor said, "Come back for more surgery", it becomes a very expensive endeavor.

Ultimately, it's your own personal decision in which surgeon you select.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

there are good surgeons in Belgium better than Uk

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I live in the UK which is why I wondered what the situation here is at the moment. I was looking at perhaps going to the US as I read a few years back that they have the best procedures. I know it's constantly changing, there's robotic stuff out now too from what I've seen, so I don't really know the best place to go.

If there's some top clinics in the UK I'll stay here. I might pay extra for the robotic FUE too if it's good?

Quote Originally Posted by virtualmark View Post
    Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I live in the UK which is why I wondered what the situation here is at the moment. I was looking at perhaps going to the US as I read a few years back that they have the best procedures. I know it's constantly changing, there's robotic stuff out now too from what I've seen, so I don't really know the best place to go.

If there's some top clinics in the UK I'll stay here. I might pay extra for the robotic FUE too if it's good?
    I think you were clear, I knew you were saying you were in the UK

There are great clinics in the UK apparently and their seems to be a couple of really great surgeons in Belgium like Shan suggested. Check the IAHRS doctors and see where most of the satisfied UK guys are going now. I read that Dr. Lorenzo is now in the UK who is supposed to be one of the FUE kings. I think he works for Dr. Farjo now.

Robots seem pretty cutting edge, but I'm not too sure they are as good as what some of the European surgeons are already doing?

Yeah I'm not sure on the robotic FUE yet, I'd just read that they were getting better yields using it, which is why it's more expensive. But I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried it.

Thanks for the replies. Having a HT is a big thing for me and I want to do everything I can to make sure it goes well.