+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please help me, should I take Finasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    You really need to ask yourself do you want to take medication for what could be 30-40 years. Would it be worth it long term for more hair or would it be better to plan something around having less hair. Pick up at least 10 books on the pharmaceutical industry and learn how studies are performed and some of what goes on. Once you have obtained that education than make a decision with the additional information you are now armed with and if it seems right than proceed.

Often times those that are taking medications will encourage others to do the same. They might be doing this without even consciously knowing it but people tend to form groups. So in order to be part of the group and for everyone to feel good about what they are doing they all need to be doing the same thing. So if your group drinks heavily, overeats, uses heroin whatever chances are they will unconsciously encourage you to do the same. This is why sometimes you have to drop long time friends or those that are not good for you in order to move forward unless of course you can think outside of the group while still being part of the group.

The point here is that the more people tell you to go ahead and take the medication the more likely you will and the more that tell you to use caution the more likely you will use caution. Really the best approach is to pick up those 10 books and find out for yourself.
    Board member topcat made this extremely valuable post which I thought deserved it's own thread on the BTT.

I hope you don't mind me doing this TC.

Thumbs up

It's always a personal choice and that's how it should be. There is nothing wrong with people providing positive accounts of their experience on Propecia (or any drug for that matter) as it may provide a point of reference for those debating whether or not to obtain a prescription. The irony is that TC mentions inadvertent influence, yet the anti - drug stance here is fairly evident. Is this not a manifesto in itself? just food for thought.

I remain respectfully sceptical of such a declaration but don't deny the validity of the perspective. However, anyone who overly advocates OR condemns usage should equally be viewed with a jaundiced eye.

Of course, this is merely my opinion!

And I would certainly be interested in reading these sources for posterity

There's no chance that people will be still taking finasteride in "30-40 years". Medical advances with MPB are unfortunately slow, but not THAT slow.

First of all, we need to frame this never ending debate that actually is not a debate at all.

We find out on forums like these that these meds are avail. We then ask other members what they think. We then make our own decisions to approach a doctor.

In the end, our doctor or dermatologist can give us an expert medical opinion. Most usually to discuss our hair loss and potential side effects.

Just like with any meds, there are always side effects. The side effects for Finasteride are usually very low . But some guys had a terrible time of it and they quit as soon as they realized it.

And I agree, 30 years from now Finasteride will be considered useless by the new medical standards.

Newer, safer forms of DUT or RU will emerge . Big hopes for Histogen as well.

I've never gotten the whole 'fin is for life' attitude. As if there won't be improvements in medicine eventually.

However, I do think people need telling straight. If you want to save your hair and hold off baldness, you need to take finasteride (or Dutasteride), simple as, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentarou View Post
    I've never gotten the whole 'fin is for life' attitude. As if there won't be improvements in medicine eventually.

However, I do think people need telling straight. If you want to save your hair and hold off baldness, you need to take finasteride (or Dutasteride), simple as, end of.
    I wish I had started it at 25 but it wasnt even approved until I was 32 and at that age I was still able to style my hair in a way that hid any hair loss.

Only by age 42 was I then unable to deny noticeable hair loss in the front.

I wish Fin or DUT was avail when I had most of my thick hair.

I have generally found topcat to be a very legit poster, I appreciate him participating on BTT.

Anyway I agree with the guys saying today's oral DHT inhibs will be unnecessary in 30-40 years. However I personally am 100% willing to take dutasteride for the rest of my life, if for some reason I needed to to keep my hair. I made the same decision about fin when I started it almost 3 years ago
    I understand there will probably be consequences if I do this....it is a value judgment that people need to make for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I have generally found topcat to be a very legit poster, I appreciate him participating on BTT.

Anyway I agree with the guys saying today's oral DHT inhibs will be unnecessary in 30-40 years. However I personally am 100% willing to take dutasteride for the rest of my life, if for some reason I needed to to keep my hair. I made the same decision about fin when I started it almost 3 years ago
    I understand there will probably be consequences if I do this....it is a value judgment that people need to make for themselves.
    What kind of sides have you experienced on the DUT?

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    What kind of sides have you experienced on the DUT?
    Not really any sides at 3+ months. I felt like my sex drive increased a bit....could just be psychological or a coincidence.
    I tolerated fin just fine so I did not expect to have problems on dut