+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride at NW5?

Hello fellas!

I've been in finasteride (1mg/day) for about 1½ month and my hair is even worse than before I started finas (I understand that shedding is a part of the whole process).

I heard/read somewhere that finas works best the ~5 first years of hair loss. What do you guys think, I have been losing my hair for approximately 4-5 years but had decent coverage all over the scalp a year ago (NW3-4).

As you can see, the hair loss changed rapidly on just a year. Does a NW5 have any benefits from finasteride or is it better to jump on dutasteride immediately?

I'm on minoxidil since late 2010 and ketokonazol since 2011 and supplements (MSM, Omega3, Vitamins) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkeh91 View Post
    Hello fellas!

I've been in finasteride (1mg/day) for about 1½ month and my hair is even worse than before I started finas (I understand that shedding is a part of the whole process).

I heard/read somewhere that finas works best the ~5 first years of hair loss. What do you guys think, I have been losing my hair for approximately 4-5 years but had decent coverage all over the scalp a year ago (NW3-4).

As you can see, the hair loss changed rapidly on just a year. Does a NW5 have any benefits from finasteride or is it better to jump on dutasteride immediately?

I'm on minoxidil since late 2010 and ketokonazol since 2011 and supplements (MSM, Omega3, Vitamins) as well.
    NW5 and finasteride? LOL These two things don't fit together. Yes, there was a nice photo in the study of Rossi et al. that showed a great result...after 10 years. If your hairloss advanced so much, you must treat it aggressively - with dut!

Finasteride should be used with hopes of slowing down or maintaining what you have. Maybe in a NW1.5-2.5, fin may regrow or thicken hair, but you should always just think of fin as doing the least possible, that way you won't be disappointed when you see it does nothing for you in the form of regrowth or thickening existing hair. The question is this: Do you, at NW5, want to keep "what you have" [if there's anything up there], or slow down the rate of your already bald head? Ask yourself, what am I going to slow down? What am I going to keep?

At NW5, I would be looking in to dutasteride at 2.5mg [0.5x5] a day, and minoxidil twice a day, with plans of an HT once I see hair loss has been stabilized after a year. I am not recommending dutasteride at 2.5mg a day, i'm saying those are the measures I would personally take if I was in that position.

I'm at NW3 and 0.5mg of dut a day, along with rogaine twice a day, and I haven't dropped the fin 1.25mg. Dutasteride has been doing wonders for me. I have noticeable thickening all around my head at about 7-8 weeks, that in the past, fin+minoxidil took around 8-9 months to do. If I had the money to keep up the pace of using at least 2-3 dut pills a day [1.0-1.5mg], I would do it even now at NW3 and getting good results with just 0.5 a day, let alone if I was NW5.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and if you get on Dutasteride and rogaine or fin, I hope you can make a recovery that will make you happy. Good luck, I hope you find my post useful.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Finasteride should be used with hopes of slowing down or maintaining what you have. Maybe in a NW1.5-2.5, fin may regrow or thicken hair, but you should always just think of fin as doing the least possible, that way you won't be disappointed when you see it does nothing for you in the form of regrowth or thickening existing hair. The question is this: Do you, at NW5, want to keep "what you have" [if there's anything up there], or slow down the rate of your already bald head? Ask yourself, what am I going to slow down? What am I going to keep?

At NW5, I would be looking in to dutasteride at 2.5mg [0.5x5] a day, and minoxidil twice a day, with plans of an HT once I see hair loss has been stabilized after a year. I am not recommending dutasteride at 2.5mg a day, i'm saying those are the measures I would personally take if I was in that position.

I'm at NW3 and 0.5mg of dut a day, along with rogaine twice a day, and I haven't dropped the fin 1.25mg. Dutasteride has been doing wonders for me. I have noticeable thickening all around my head at about 7-8 weeks, that in the past, fin+minoxidil took around 8-9 months to do. If I had the money to keep up the pace of using at least 2-3 dut pills a day [1.0-1.5mg], I would do it even now at NW3 and getting good results with just 0.5 a day, let alone if I was NW5.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and if you get on Dutasteride and rogaine or fin, I hope you can make a recovery that will make you happy. Good luck, I hope you find my post useful.
    I agree with your words. There is no rational reason to waste time on finasteride.

Hopefully, now, when I am able to use up to 5 mg/day without thinking about my wallet, I will finally see the magic of regrowth that I only briefly experienced during the last years' summer (when I was taking fin with SARMs).

Fin can be great if you are a lower NW. But if you are going the meds route at NW5, I will give the same advice I gave to ravegrover (and that Patiently has given you)....try megadosing dutasteride and adding minoxidil. I would also add 2% keto shampoo
    If you are unable to do this for any reason, I would at least start a low dose of dut if I was you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Henkeh91 View Post
    Hello fellas!

Where are you from? If you needed large doses of dutasteride, I can send you the powder (as I was talking about it in another thread). But it can take several weeks, until I check its efficiacy.

In the meantime, you can start on small doses (like 0.5 mg/week), because it is a strong stuff and you can avoid unneccessary shedding.