1 5.00%
  • I cannot be sure

3 15.00%
  • Yes but it may have stalled and will continue to for a number of years

2 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Forgot to add, yes minoxidil can cause a heavy shed. I suffered this, but best to understand that any hairs you shed would have probably have been lost anyway. They will return stronger and more resistant to DHT.
    I have read that there have been instances where people have not regrown the hair after the shed. That worries me and also the fact that I will have to take it the rest of my life.

I was thinking of maybe seeing how much my hair loss progresses and if it remains at a slow rate maybe saving up to get a hair transplant in a couple of years?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishlad View Post
    I have read that there have been instances where people have not regrown the hair after the shed. That worries me and also the fact that I will have to take it the rest of my life.

I was thinking of maybe seeing how much my hair loss progresses and if it remains at a slow rate maybe saving up to get a hair transplant in a couple of years?
    I think if any hair was shed as a result of taking a topical DHT inhibitor, then it would eventually be going anyway. You simply expedite that loss and hope the hairs will resprout.

It might be sensible to save up in case you do need a hair transplant. If not you have savings for other purposes

I think if any hair was shed as a result of taking a topical DHT inhibitor, then it would eventually be going anyway. You simply expedite that loss and hope the hairs will resprout.

It might be sensible to save up in case you do need a hair transplant. If not you have savings for other purposes
    Thanks for all your advice. I also read about potential Histogen treatments in the future. Do you have any views about that?

Thanks for all your advice. I also read about potential Histogen treatments in the future. Do you have any views about that?
    I think there are a few interesting treatments in development, but it's too early to say if any will be effective enough to come to market.

Every man on the planet will know when there's something worth getting excited about.

I think there are a few interesting treatments in development, but it's too early to say if any will be effective enough to come to market.

Every man on the planet will know when there's something worth getting excited about.
    Definitely .

I feel the best for young guys who are age 10 to 15 . When they start to hit MPB in their early 20s as most of us do, there might be a way to drastically halt it in its tracks by then.

I am approaching 50 so I am a lost cause.

Scottishlad, don't panic. There's a number of potential treatments in the pipeline. And currently, we have finasteride (although you'll have to make a decision on whether you want to risk the potential side effects; personally I haven't had any and I've been on it since 1999) and also Dr. Gho's hair stemcell transplantation (a form of hiar multiplication, which I will likely be getting in September). In the pipeline are Dr. Gho's Hair Stemcell Injection (similar to hair stemcell transplantation, but MUCH less invasive), Histogen (like you mentioned), Aderans and Replicell.
    I'm just telling you all this because I don't want you to go through the hellish panic I went through at age 29. The's hope, lots of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by LT56 View Post
    Scottishlad, don't panic. There's a number of potential treatments in the pipeline. And currently, we have finasteride (although you'll have to make a decision on whether you want to risk the potential side effects; personally I haven't had any and I've been on it since 1999) and also Dr. Gho's hair stemcell transplantation (a form of hiar multiplication, which I will likely be getting in September). In the pipeline are Dr. Gho's Hair Stemcell Injection (similar to hair stemcell transplantation, but MUCH less invasive), Histogen (like you mentioned), Aderans and Replicell.
    I'm just telling you all this because I don't want you to go through the hellish panic I went through at age 29. The's hope, lots of hope.
    All that sounds promising. Personally I am not sure I want to risk finasteride. How long do you think before these treatments are readily available and how successful do you think they will be?

All that sounds promising. Personally I am not sure I want to risk finasteride. How long do you think before these treatments are readily available and how successful do you think they will be?
    The others guys in this forum would be able to tell you better. I think Histogen is about 3 years away and it has something like an improvement in the mid-thirty-percent area, from what I remember. I think there is the possibility of it being compounding over multiple treatments, though. As per Aderans and Replicel, remember that research projects, especially ones requiring regulation by government, tend to stretch way past projected dates, so the dates the companies give out for those two treatments are probably optimistic. I keep telling a lot of young guys the same thing: if I were you, I would pay attention to my studies so you can get a good job and get knowlegeable about investing, because some of these treatments will be expensive when they come out. It will at least give you a sense of control and comfort if you have a "hair fund" that you can use for when these treatments are out.

Quote Originally Posted by LT56 View Post
    The others guys in this forum would be able to tell you better. I think Histogen is about 3 years away and it has something like an improvement in the mid-thirty-percent area, from what I remember. I think there is the possibility of it being compounding over multiple treatments, though. As per Aderans and Replicel, remember that research projects, especially ones requiring regulation by government, tend to stretch way past projected dates, so the dates the companies give out for those two treatments are probably optimistic. I keep telling a lot of young guys the same thing: if I were you, I would pay attention to my studies so you can get a good job and get knowlegeable about investing, because some of these treatments will be expensive when they come out. It will at least give you a sense of control and comfort if you have a "hair fund" that you can use for when these treatments are out.
    I actually do have a bit of money saved away. I was thinking about a potential hair transplant in the future but maybe another treatment may become available. I really do hope so!

I know this may be a bit off topic but was wondering if finasteride has a possibility of making hair loss worse?