+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wanting some input

Hi guys I am a 23 year old male from CA... Was looking for some advice or wisdom from others on here that know a bit more about treatment and possibilities of whats realistic over time.

To start off when I was 20 years old I noticed my hair line had very, very slight recession on both sides which didn't bother me too much, however since I was 18 I was prone to cases of chronic TE sheds.. I was on an SSRI drug, an Anti Convulsion drug called Gabapentin and occasionally used a tranquilizer called lorzapram, I had experienced GAD and Panic Disorder since I graduated high school until 2012. I eventually got off the medications and cured my anxiety, more recently though I noticed the temples seem to receed a bit deeper, as well as loss on the top sides and back from one last bout of TE from a few months back, I am definitely prone to hair loss in my family, most kept their hair, one receded, one went bald, and my dads father was bald.. Five uncles in total, On my moms side she only had sisters so no way to tell but her father died with a whole head of hair.. To me though I am just focused on what I see on my own scalp.

Since noticing and definitely trying to catch things early I hoped on RegenePur shampoo, Minoxidil, Grape seed extract and something called Keratene Retard. So far I haven't used the Keratene pills because I am not sure if it is necessary, I have no loss in the crown or vertex of the hair even with the TE the hair is still pretty thick and equal all around.. Would using these pills be worth it in trying to maintain hairline and avoid recession? I definitely want to get ahead early so looking for the best thing to do.. I don't want to use Fin as I have already been on enough meds before and am very sensitive to side effects, as well as I am still recovering from a very huge libido loss coming off an SSRI so I would have no way to access how it is affecting my sexual function too much.. I did however look into RU, RUM, and GB3 not sure if thats the right term, If I really wanted to put the money down I would purchase the RU from Kane and make my own product using a KB Vehicle. I feel this would work just the same as Fin with less risk for sides but I don't want to jump on it if it is not needed, I just figured If I ever do use something I might as well do it sooner then later since its easier to maintain then grow new hair.

Thanks for you're help guys!

Forgot to mention I also am practicing something called Scalp exercises from Hair loss is reversible dot com, not sure if it works for me or not but figured what the heck better to try and see then not reap any potential benefits outside of pharmaceuticals

Anyone have any suggestions of a good combo to use? I only have the recession right now and have not started minoxidil or the Keratene yet, I don't want to start using minoxidil if it means I will have to use it for the rest of my life and not even know how necessary it is, The keratene seems like an easy way to at least check to know if I am ever sensitive to sides... The RU stuff is expensive but worth it.. Anyways these are all just ideas for all I know I could just take pictures every few months and keep using some supplementation and RegenPure Shampoo but the reason is if I am going to lose more might as well get on it now rather then wait.

The photo isn't great quality but your loss looks very minor, as you say.

That being the case, I think a ketoconazole shampoo is a good and safe first option. RegenePure is very good stuff and I've started using it myself. I assume you're using the DR version?

Keep an eye on your hair loss, perhaps take a few photos every 6 months. If you notice your situation worsening, then you might consider minoxidil as a second line of defence. In terms of the increasing risk of side effects and the severity of intervention, I'd consider finasteride a third option and surgery the last.

Others will chime in with their views and may differ to mine, so please take it all on board and make your own decision.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I'm curious why you don't want to use minoxidil because of the need to use it for the rest of your life, but you're considering RU?

RU is more expensive and will also be required for the rest of your life. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about RU.

Very helpful thanks, Yeah I am using that version of the shampoo, the thing with minox is that I have been prone to dandruff before so I am not sure if it will be an issue or if the shampoos would clear any issues I would have with that anyways.. I think I remember reading you had some sides from Fin that hit pretty bad, for me I just am really hesitant about that for the case of having not to great a way to measure if side effects will occur, I already am barely recovering from sexual side effects from an SSRI and I think I could permanently screw myself over if I jumped on Fin possibly with both effects combined, I opted for trying the RU over Fin as I could directly apply it to the scalp with the same effects as Fin. I would choose RU over it because even though it is more expensive there is far less chance of side effects when you are not putting anti androgens in the body, sexually at least. I also have the Keratene Retard pills which basically works just like Fin but doesn't target 85% of DHT as Fin does so not too bad of side effects, I just don't know if A. they are really that effective as the block minimal amounts of DHT and granted you will gain sides with anything you put in you're system in some degree or other, and B. I have not seen any actual stunning results from using the product alone.
    Surgery would be WAY down the line option. I would need to be at least
    thirty and entering NW3 before that was a possibility.. All in all I feel there are plenty of new possibilities and procedures coming soon like HM so with the current minimal loss I have now and jumping on it early I don't really need to worry about being bald too much..

I should clarify, I don't think you are anywhere near a hair transplant candidate. I thought I'd just list in full the main options people generally have at their disposal, in order of the severity of intervention - at least as I see it.

The Keratene Retard pills and RU might well be good options for those of us who cannot tolerate finasteride or don't want to take the risk. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with them, so please let me know!

Haha I know man I understand,

Most likely it would seem RU,Minox, and the ketazonale shampoos and some hair supps would be enough, plus already pretty pricey at that alone. Of course If I ever did say DUT plus RU I would probably never lose a hair again lol.

Your hair still looks full to me, on the basis of that photo. Of course it may not show the full story.

You don't want to use Fin and I don't think you should either at this stage.

It seems like the treatments you're on are the best for now.

A clearer photo would be worth posting.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Dude, I'd kill for that hairline, and I'm 4 years younger than you! Your hair looks very thick and any loss you have suffered is most likely invisible to those that don't know what to look for. Keep an eye on it but don't dive into anything just yet, there's no need for you.

Thanks, will try and post a better pic when I get the chance. I wasn't sure how Fin worked or what people do for it, like is there a certain stage it would need to be before being used or certain things to look for? Of course I will much rather try using the RU first... I know I have some degree of hair loss no doubt but if I can maintain where I am now for a long time and hopefully eventually in the following years a solid cure type treatment comes to the market like HM I won't have much to dwell over it. I know I will be prone to more potential loss in the future do to the fact that my hairline has changed so I am just looking to get on the best plan or course of action now so that it isn't something to just blow over till it could get potentially worse. Thanks man, I am just trying to keep a close inspection on it for now and halt any further loss, I have not lost any density I believe, the only thing is the raised corners of the recession where the hair does not go straight across.