+ Reply to Thread

Default Am i going Bald or is my hairline just maturing

hey guys i know you probably get this alot so apologies. but im a 20 year old man and a few weeks ago i noticed that my hair is really starting to recead, im very worried that i may be going bald as i really wouldnt suit the look, my dad has a widows peak and my grandad was bald, so what do you guys think are the chances that i could lose my hair? everyone else on my mums side have excelent hair, its not to noticable now as i have a fringe but as they say prevention is the best way to stop it.

also if someone could tell me how to upload pics itd be aprreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg

Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	21060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg

Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	21061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg

Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	21062  

Looks like balding.

It may not get much worse or you may be a NW6 before you're 25.

thanks, so wierd for me because i always used to have very very thick hair, fingers crossed then i guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't cross your fingers, I'd take action on that. I went through the same thing when I was 28. I have the same advice for any young guy:
    1. You can start by taking a mild approach to protecting your hair. i) Wash with Nirozal 2% shampoo 3 times per week and leave it in for 3 minutes. For some, it dries out their hair so you'll need to experiment a little. ii) take Saw Palmetto twice a day (this is a little less proven)
    2. Take to your doc about getting a prescription for finasteride. He'll probably tell you you're too young, but you can at least ask. Get your ducks lined up so you just have to press the button of your hair starts to really recede. Personally, I take 1.25 mg per day by cutting up a 5mg tablet into 4. Cheaper that way.
    3. The other advice I give youngs guys may seem a little unconnected: pay attention to your studies so you can get a good job and learn how to save and invest your money. There are several cures coming, but they will be expensive. Create a store of cash so that at least you know that when a cure comes you'll be ready with the funds. This will give you at least some comfort.
    If I were you, I would start with washing with Nizoral 2% just in case and also do #3. above. If it turns out you're not balding, then you'll have a pile of cash with which to enjoy yourself.

First off, it does not look like you're "balding." I had a similar freak out when I was your age and I turn 36 next month and my hair is not much worse now. Second, if you are balding, there is no way that it can be diagnosed by a bunch of dudes on the Internet via some low resolution photos. Do not go jump on a bunch of drugs without getting a proper diagnosis. Go see a hair transplant doctor or a dermatologist who can put a microscope on your head or do a bulk measurement to detect miniaturization of your follicles. THEN, you can opt to start treatments or if you're ok with it, cut it short and move on.

Thanks mate, What do you think about mixing minoxidil with nizoral iv heard good things about minoxidil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrow View Post
    Thanks mate, What do you think about mixing minoxidil with nizoral iv heard good things about minoxidil.
    Those are fine if you are going bald. If you're not, then why would you take them? Go see a doctor and find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    First off, it does not look like you're "balding." I had a similar freak out when I was your age and I turn 36 next month and my hair is not much worse now. Second, if you are balding, there is no way that it can be diagnosed by a bunch of dudes on the Internet via some low resolution photos. Do not go jump on a bunch of drugs without getting a proper diagnosis. Go see a hair transplant doctor or a dermatologist who can put a microscope on your head or do a bulk measurement to detect miniaturization of your follicles. THEN, you can opt to start treatments or if you're ok with it, cut it short and move on.
    Yeah, good points Ryan. I would go see a dermatologist; I would think that a transplant doc would have a biased opinion. So, I'd go see a derm but try and do some research first to find one with expertise in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by LT56 View Post
    Yeah, good points Ryan. I would go see a dermatologist; I would think that a transplant doc would have a biased opinion. So, I'd go see a derm but try and do some research first to find one with expertise in this area.
    Well, I should correct and say go to an approved hair transplant doc from this site or the hair restoration network. None of those docs would operate on him even if he was balding but they can tell him for sure one way or another and prescribe meds if needed. DO NOT go to Bosley or some other scummy chain who might talk you into a transplant.