+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    You just stated in your first post you were looking forward to trying finasteride. Now all of a sudden you dont want to do it ?

I would consult a doctor regarding all medications and hair transplant. Seems like you arent sure and when it comes to measures as drastic as these, when in doubt, do nothing until you are sure.
    I am excited to try it, just a little nervous because I haven't taken prescription drugs since I was in high school (8 years ago). I used to take anxiety medicine for 3 years and decided I wanted to beat it on my own without drugs. What sucks is hair loss isn't really something I can beat on my own without the use of such drugs which aren't even covered by insurance even though it sure is taking a toll on my anxiety now. I have been advised by my dermatologist to take FIN and a few HT surgeons also recomended FIN pre hair transplant to stabilize my hair loss. I will try and start FIN with a clear and open mind. I'm looking around at different pharmacies to see where I can get it the cheapest if theres even any difference on price.

Best quality I could get. Thanks to my camera with no flash. You can't tell but in the back it is patchy right where MPB hit's home. I been buzzing my head since before it was falling out so I never really can tell when I'm shedding or growing or what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01241.jpg

Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	21096

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01243.jpg

Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	21097

Quote Originally Posted by CND23 View Post
    First your GF then your job now your hair.. A freak out is probably the natural reaction. When it was just my hair a few years ago I was kind of freaking. It's not something you expect at 26.. I'm 28 now. Similar to you I didn't treat my HL for about a year and a half, I knew I just didn't care until it got really noticeable.

It's a slump.. If you start the "big 3" and stick with it you'll probably have peace of mind before you know it, I did. I've been doing that treatment for 2 1/2 years now and I don't even think about HL. I barely notice the routine unless I forget.
    I think it's fair to say everybody has anxiety about starting Finasteride. Especially if you've typed it in on google. My advice would be start propecia, As Directed. It took about 3 weeks for my side effects to subside, and they were in places that can make a man nervous, but now their obsolete. I'll load up a picture, were a similar age you can see my results. If I hadn't started when I did idk where MPB would be..
    Yeah, I definitely have been wigging out a lot mainly about my hair because its making my confidence plummet. It's really hard to go into job interviews without the confidence I had before. My last interview I even "forgot" to take my hat off at. Luckily it was a laid back interview so I don't think it mattered to them. But I'm sure I'll have more formal ones where the hat is not an option at all.

I am nervous about the side effects while being on propecia (thanks to this forum and google searching), but i'm also worried about the effects people have when getting off of propecia too. If the big 3 worked for me I could carry on with life so much better. Just with the summer coming up and the sun being my #1 enemy right now time is not my friend. I would definitely be interested in seeing your results whenever you have the time. Thanks for taking the time to comfort a frightened guy about this kind of stress. Very appreciated. I attached another picture to show what my hair looked like only a few months ago. It was still thinning in the back but now that I cut it, it looks as if the entire top of my head is thinning as well in a 'horse shoe' type pattern which gave me the uh oh's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	easter.jpg

Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	21098  

Hmmm welcome to the great fin dilemma.

Honestly, If I werent so bothered about the potential for side effects I could have kept a really good NW 2 years ago... but... you know shit happens.

I dont know whether to regret not taking or regret it... all I know is as my hair loss progresses I feel like taking it more & more, the only thing we can turn to is real documented evidence.

Now... the main website for propecia side effects is propeciahelp.com... okay so they have around 2000 members, how many people actually take finasteride? Millions? So maybe there is a chance of serious side effects... but it's probably a low chance...

Quote Originally Posted by toolittletoolate View Post
    I am excited to try it, just a little nervous because I haven't taken prescription drugs since I was in high school (8 years ago). I used to take anxiety medicine for 3 years and decided I wanted to beat it on my own without drugs. What sucks is hair loss isn't really something I can beat on my own without the use of such drugs which aren't even covered by insurance even though it sure is taking a toll on my anxiety now. I have been advised by my dermatologist to take FIN and a few HT surgeons also recomended FIN pre hair transplant to stabilize my hair loss. I will try and start FIN with a clear and open mind. I'm looking around at different pharmacies to see where I can get it the cheapest if theres even any difference on price.
    I am glad you have such a positive attitude. Like most things in life, this is half the battle right here.

I can only share my experience with Fin for the last 4 months. I have noticed some thinning after 2 months use and nothing since. However, I am told it takes a year to really see the difference in the before /after photos.

I also had some slight side effects. Watery semen and a rubbery one for about 3 weeks and now its corrected. However, some guys do get noticeable side effects. About 4% do.

If you get some drastic side effects, call your doctor , but otherwise, good luck !!!

To me the only horrifying thing about Finasteride is that here it's $90 a month for a Propecia subscription, you lose your hair Merck knows they got you ball and chain. I swaped to generic last year, hopefully I can stay I'm looking for a new pharmacy. I've never heard of side effects coming off Fin, I've paused a couple times with no problems. I read that after 5 years though you develop tolerance and it's less effective.

In any case I'd think it's natural to be self conscious when you lose your hair I'll admit I was for a while. After I did everything in my power to treat it and I saw it begin to help, It didn't weigh on my mind at all. Maybe it will do the same for you but it takes time. Until recently I actually noticed some new thin hair growing around my hairline idk how or why lol because I been on it way to long for new growth.. But I drink like a fish and smoke like john wayne.. It will probably jump ship.

Since my hair loss got this worse and since I next to shaved my head, I completely changed my eating habbits. I have been off the ciggs for 2+ months now and cut back on the drinking. Debating on whether or not to start smoking pot again after my drug test due to the extra stress as of late.

Is there any drastic side effects other than the sexual ones. I don't have a girlfriend anyway right now so I guess I wont really notice the difference for a while. Or will I be able to tell the difference right away?

Have you heard anything about Propecia losing its patent at the end of the year therefore generic and cheaper brand will soon be available in the U.S. by 2014?

Huh, no I had no idea they could lose a patent on the drug. I'm not in the loop much with hair loss stuff, I just do my routine. Is it from a legitimate article? If it results is US manufacturing generic Fin I'm happy. Keep us posted =p Their may be a thread on this already, a lot of MDs here.

Finasteride is like any other drug. If your going to have a side effect it's in reaction to the drug. So you would know when you take it, I would think. It's not triggered by anything but the drug. Unless it's impotence heh.. not sure how that process goes. I was nervous taking my first 1mg fin because I read nightmare tales like I'm sure others have.. later that week it was just routine. Come to realize, dig deep on the web, you'll find corporate sabotage.. trolls.. whatever. on anything.

Unless their is an immediate allergic reaction or something, follow the drugs guidelines for side effects. I had some uncomfortable side effects the first couple weeks, that the Propecia website said consult your doctor about. My doctor prescribed it, which meant the benefit outweighs the risk so I just rode it out. Got to expect something to happen when you change body chemistry. They weren't bad, more like an adaption to it. Anyways good luck, PM me if you feel like I can help It'll link to Email I think. I Never really come here except when I went through your situation.