+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hi could ye look at these pics for me please

I recently got a hair cut and my barber passed a comment about a bald spot coming on the crown of my head and it got me really paranoid.

I'm 31 and have in the last year being noticing some extra hair in my bed and stuff also my 34yr old brother is almost fully bald on top while my father still has a full head of hair.

I would like to catch it early if I am.

And some recent ones after a hair cut, which look to me like thinning around the crown.

There's very very very slight thinning on the crown. Otherwise you have very thick hair and pretty low hair line.

If you want to get on preventive treatment, finasteride or dutasteride are the best. If you want to thicken your crown back, add Rogaine and you'll be fine.

Your hair and hair line looks good, but good luck, don't let it get out of hand if you really care about your hair.

The pics are pretty grainy, so I'm hesitant to venture suggestions, but I will anyways.

If you have MPB, you are in the early stages. It does look like their has been some thinning at the crown from the cowlick (which naturally has some transparency) towards the front. Again, it's ever so slight. Your hairline looks just very slightly thinned out -- again, very hard to say with certainty.

You should know if your hair used to be thicker, to some degree. Further, if your barber has been cutting your hair from some time, he is probably a reasonable source for comments. Even if he is just a dude who has cut a lot of hair, his input is valuable.

That said, I wouldn't freak out or anything yet. Prevention is the key. The most reasonable thing I can advise you to do is set up an appointment with a dermatologist to get professional confirmation. If (s)he confirms MPB, start treatment right away, if you're interested in keeping your hair.

They say the later the onset of MPB in one's life, the more gradual and less aggressive it will be. Mine started in around at 23 (conservative estimate) and has gotten noticeably worse by 25. Some kids on here are 16/17 years old and well on their way to Norwood 7. So, in that respect, you are very lucky.

Now, it's just a matter of how much you care about your hair. Take the initial steps to getting confirmation and potentially starting treatment. You do have time, but why waste it? Time = hair, when MPB is there.

Thanks guys...

I tried to set up a appointment with a dermatologist but I have to get referred there my my GP so I'm going to get a appointment with him and then take it from there but all that will take a couple of weeks.

To answer one of the above questions, yes my hair was like wire a few years back and I needed a lot of hair product to style it but these days I can shape it with none.
    Most notably after a shower it feels very light.

Should I start using Nizoral shampoo or something in the meantime?

And yes I know I'm lucky compared to some but I shaved my head a few years back and I looked like a thug and it didn't suit me so if I can save/hold on to it I'll try my best.

You are likely starting to thin, but here's the good news. You have the dark coarse hair that meds seem to love, so if sides are not issue, that'll do for awhile. Your a hair doc's dream as far as donor hair should that be the route LATER in life.

I think you are starting to see the slightest beginnings of thinning. I do not think you are in danger of going bald but I would suggest you see your doctor and ask about rogaine.

Stick the generic form (minoxidil ) on your crown and see if it thickens it back up.

Inactive

I think you may have very slow MPB. You're around where I am but I am ten years younger than you. I would research finasteride, learn about the sides, and then get on it if I were you. You still have a great head of hair and it will be easy to prevent further loss since it isn't aggressive.

Update to this thread..,
    This is today 3 years later..

I haven't jumped on any mess etc since I started this thread.

My hair used to be think like wire ten years ago and it's definitely got thinner as I barely need products to style it now, actually never use anything unless I'm heading out.

I'm 34, first two pics are from 3 years ago.
    My dad, his bro and dad have all got full heads of hair but almost everybody on my mums side has lost most of their hair.
    My older bro has been losing his for the last ten years, his is pretty much gone on top but he's still holding on to that dream.

If it stayed like this it would be fine as I'm not too keen to get on fin etc but also I had a buzz cut when I was younger and I looked like a mutant..

First two pics - 3 years ago

Next pics are this week.

Last pic is how I usually have my hair so it's not noticeable really yet unless I pull it back.

Dude, you have amazing hair with minimal receding at the temples. Enjoy it while it lasts. If it gets worse you can always start with propecia.