+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Hair transplant surgery is a huge decision. This was just posted and I agree with what Spencer Kobren always says about shock loss and waiting.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12580

You still have a lot of hair that can be lost to shock loss after surgery. While this will usually grow back, sometimes it does not. How would you feel if you spent thousands of dollars , went through surgery, waited a year to see the results and then end up worse than when you started?

Hasson and Wong turned you down for a reason. If you're not willing to take Propecia, I think shaving your head is a good idea for now.
    Thanks PayDay, is it possibe for fin to grow back hair or just stop any more hair falling out? Looking into it there are mixed results with some people claiming it can only hault hair loss, while others say You can regrow hair.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    It doesn't really make any sense to suggest going to Europe for a hair transplant after he was turned away by one of the best and most ethical clinics in the world? Having a hair transplant with his current pattern of loss could really mess up his life, even via FUE.
    I think getting advice from a wide range of clinics is good sense. It doesn't surprise me that a clinic that only offers FUT is reluctant to operate on men in their late 20s.

By the way, I'm a long time Propecia user, no side effects with very positive long term results. Side effects do exist, but I believe the mind plays a huge role for many who claim to have sides after stopping the drug. Just my opinion.[
    It's reassuring to to know that I just need to change how I think and all the side effects will go away. If I only I'd tried this for the past 12 months I would have recovered so much quicker and not wasted so much time getting blood drawn from my arms at my doctors' clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by unhappyhair View Post
    I read your topic Chrisis, far out man, I feel for you dude! It really made me rethink taking fin, I know the % sides are low but I don't know if I want to take the risk of having the problems yourself and the others in the thread are having.

I have a doctors appointment booked to discuss it but at this stage I am thinking of going back to looking at a HT. I dont really want to mess with hormones and I dont think even doctors fully understand the effects fin can have on the body, especially after you experiences.
    Thanks unhappyhair.

You could get some tests done to find out what your baseline hormone levels are, but I really do believe you take a risk with this drug.

And yeah, the docs are almost as clueless as people on forums who claim side effects are psychological. If you do get side effects, don't expect help from anyone. You will be dismissed on this website and doctors will tell you there's nothing wrong.

You really need to ask yourself do you want to take medication for what could be 30-40 years. Would it be worth it long term for more hair or would it be better to plan something around having less hair. Pick up at least 10 books on the pharmaceutical industry and learn how studies are performed and some of what goes on. Once you have obtained that education than make a decision with the additional information you are now armed with and if it seems right than proceed.

Often times those that are taking medications will encourage others to do the same. They might be doing this without even consciously knowing it but people tend to form groups. So in order to be part of the group and for everyone to feel good about what they are doing they all need to be doing the same thing. So if you group drinks heavily, overeats, uses heroin whatever chances are they will unconsciously encourage you to do the same. This is why sometimes you have to drop long time friends or those that are not good for you in order to move forward unless of course you can think outside of the group while still being part of the group.

The point here is that the more people tell you to go ahead and take the medication the more likely you will and the more that tell you to use caution the more likely you will use caution. Really the best approach is to pick up those 10 books and find out for yourself.

Thumbs up Best post I have read in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    You really need to ask yourself do you want to take medication for what could be 30-40 years. Would it be worth it long term for more hair or would it be better to plan something around having less hair. Pick up at least 10 books on the pharmaceutical industry and learn how studies are performed and some of what goes on. Once you have obtained that education than make a decision with the additional information you are now armed with and if it seems right than proceed.

Often times those that are taking medications will encourage others to do the same. They might be doing this without even consciously knowing it but people tend to form groups. So in order to be part of the group and for everyone to feel good about what they are doing they all need to be doing the same thing. So if you group drinks heavily, overeats, uses heroin whatever chances are they will unconsciously encourage you to do the same. This is why sometimes you have to drop long time friends or those that are not good for you in order to move forward unless of course you can think outside of the group while still being part of the group.

The point here is that the more people tell you to go ahead and take the medication the more likely you will and the more that tell you to use caution the more likely you will use caution. Really the best approach is to pick up those 10 books and find out for yourself.
    ^^^^^^

This needs repeating and would be an excellent sticky.

I have thought of doing a similar post but the trolls/merck reps have done their job and put me off.

People who work in the HT industry will NEVER acknowledge the dangers of Finasteride, whether they are aware of them or not. It is simply not in their best interest to do so.

You should stick to posts like this topcat and not the cryptic ones which fly over 95% of the heads on here.

P.S. I wonder if any of the "Duta crew" on here will read this.

I'd have to agree with Topcat as far as really understanding the long term commitment of taking the drug as well as any possible long term reactions that can occur when taking any drug for an extended period of time. Drug companies have a history of not being forthcoming, so I think his post makes good sense. It's always best to avoid taking any drug if possible. I made the choice to take Propecia and it has worked out very well for me, but each person is different.

I tend to question much of what Chrisis posts on this forum, especially concerning pushing young men into having hair transplant surgery. His patented sarcasm and immature arrogance will hopefully become less a part of his personality as he experiences more life.

Once you start down the road of hair transplants there is no turning back, even with FUE. There is a reason why doctors like Dr. Cole, who only does FUE, won't touch anyone under the age of 29.

Don't feel pressured to join the HT "club", especially by an obnoxious person who had his first surgery only a couple of months ago. Live with your shaved head for a while and then perhaps come back to doing your research if you really think that more hair is important for your life.

unhappyhair asked for advice and I gave it, on the basis of being only a few years older than him and having had surgery with a top surgeon in Belgium in February. I don't believe that it is fair to suggest I push young men into getting surgery on the basis of answering questions.

Further, I have no incentive to push people to go for surgery. I have a blog but I post entirely on a voluntary basis and I enjoy the positive feedback I get.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that a clinic that only offers FUT is reluctant to operate on men in their late 20s.
    That has no relevance whatsoever and I not sure what you are suggesting about Hasson&Wong by making comments like that.

Surgery on a crown is never advisable on a young guy and he is likely to be in for more loss at his age with current rate of progression unless he considers finasteride.

Fue would not facilitate the demand if his hair loss accelerates and not everyone is even a candidate for Fue. Only recently on another forum, a Dr Rahal UK patient who was told by Bisanga he was not a candidate for Fue.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdav View Post
    That has no relevance whatsoever and I not sure what you are suggesting about Hasson&Wong by making comments like that.
    I am suggesting that FUT is a more invasive procedure, it's got nothing to do with H&W in particular. Also many men in their 20s like to keep their hair shorter, and you can't guarantee this would be possible after an FUT surgery.

My advice is that anyone considering surgery should consult with a wide range of clinics. Good, ethical ones will take management of his hair loss into account. I stabilised my own loss for up to a year before I personally had surgery and management of future loss was part of my consultation with my doctor.