Weak hairs, hair stylist says not thinning - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Weak hairs, hair stylist says not thinning

Hey guys, first post on the forum for me. Brief history: I'm 22, have some hair loss in my family. Uncle on my moms side has had some hair loss (not terrible) since his 30's I believe. Both grandfathers have the nice monk look, but I'm not sure when it started for them (they're 70 now). My dad is in his late forties and has started to get some all around thinning, but nothing bad at all. Brother is 25 and has a thick head of hair.

Anyways, I've always had a more "mature" hairline since as long as I remember. I've always had super thick hair as well. I'm not sure when this started, but I've started to have this issue over the past year or so. Last November was when I really noticed it, but I think its been going on for at least a year and a half.

Basically, right at the top front of my head, there is this patch of weak and short hair. They pull out easily and are brittle and much shorter than the rest of my hair. I can't really grow any bangs because of it. I notice that they fall out more often than my other hair (but we lose like 100 hairs a day so I'm not too worried), but I'm not sure if my hair is actually "thin" or it just looks like there isn't as much there because the hairs are so short and weak.

I figured I was starting to thin, but just went to get a haircut the other day, so I pointed that part out to the stylist. She said that she had never seen hair like that before and said that she didn't think it was the same as thinning. She even had another stylist look at it and she said the same thing. She said that it looks like new growth (like I lost hair and was growing it back, think she might have been a little wrong there). Their reactions did get me to question whether I have classic thinning hair, or if its some other condition.

I'll need pictures to do it justice, but I'm just wondering if what I described is in line with male pattern baldness. The stylists made it sound like when your hair thins, it falls out and such more noticeably, rather than just being weak and brittle hair. I'll probably have to set up a doctor appointment and see what the issue is and what I can do about it. If its thinning in that sense, then I'll probably get some finasteride which would hopefully end up restoring those weak hairs over time.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It would probably be a good idea to go to a hair restoration physician or a dermatologist would can perform a biopsy which should give a more definitive answer as to what is going on in your area of concern.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Yeah, have a derm check it out for sure.

If they confirm MPB, strongly consider finasteride. I get the impression you are very early on, if it is MPB.

Pics would be helpful.