Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottishDan
    • Nov 2012

Propecia, yes or no?

Been on regaine for roughly 7 odd months now and i feel its working pretty well and my hair looks good when i leave it to grow in and you dont really notice i'm balding. I know regaine won't keep my hair loss at bay forever so should i start on propecia? May i add i am only 19.

To be honest i'm scared as hell about the sides, i've done hours of research online but i just honestly can't decide. I know at the end of the day the only person that can make the choice is myself but i just hoped for some feedback from you guys who are currently taking it.

Any sides?
    How long have you been taking it?
    Did it stop your hairloss in its tracks?

Should i just grow a pair and start using it?

Honest answers would be appreciated,

Thanks.
  • UK_
    • Feb 2011

Finasteride works by inhibiting the enzyme 5α-reductase.

So, medical science, do we need 5α-reductase?

5α-reductases transform not only testosterone5α-dihydrotestosterone but also
    progesterone, deoxycorticosterone, aldosterone and corticosterone into their respective 5α-dihydroderivatives
    [17, 18]. The latter steroids serve as substrates for 3α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases.
    These enzymes transform these 5α-reduced metabolites into a sub-class of neuroactive steroid
    hormones with distinct physiological functions. Steroid hormones modulate a multitude of
    functions in human physiology encompassing regulation of sexual differentiation, sexual function,
    neuroprotection, memory enhancement, anxiety, sleep and stress, among others
    [17, 18].
    As you can see, the network of hormones linked to 5AR resembles a family tree, if you take out the head (5AR) you'll take out the rest, this explains the long list of side effects associated with finasteride use. Finasteride also crosses the blood brain barrier so the physiological side effects are also compounded with psychological side effects such as reduced interest in sex/depression anxiety etc etc.

Comment

• Henkeh91
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by ScottishDan
      Been on regaine for roughly 7 odd months now and i feel its working pretty well and my hair looks good when i leave it to grow in and you dont really notice i'm balding. I know regaine won't keep my hair loss at bay forever so should i start on propecia? May i add i am only 19.

To be honest i'm scared as hell about the sides, i've done hours of research online but i just honestly can't decide. I know at the end of the day the only person that can make the choice is myself but i just hoped for some feedback from you guys who are currently taking it.

Any sides?

Thanks.
      It's hard to answer the question. My opinion is to wait and if you notice your hair loss has changed to a higher gear you should consider to start with fin. It's better to start early than late.

I choosed to start with finasteride in a late stage of my hair loss and sure do regret it today. The sides scared the hell out of me although they are rare.

Comment

• BigThinker
        • Oct 2012

Propecia, yes or no?

=

Most likely see hair retention with small chance of sides, yes or no?

Comment

• 25 going on 65
          • Sep 2010

Any sides?

Thanks.
          I have taken finasteride for 2.5+ years (added dutasteride about 3 months ago). Only side seemed to be a mild change in ejaculate. It improved my hair through the first 1.5 years or so and maintained it after that
          It greatly improved my mood and libido (not joking) because it improved my hair. I have also used 2% keto shampoo for slightly longer than fin

Comment

• BigThinker
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
            I have taken finasteride for 2.5+ years (added dutasteride about 3 months ago). Only side seemed to be a mild change in ejaculate. It improved my hair through the first 1.5 years or so and maintained it after that
            It greatly improved my mood and libido (not joking) because it improved my hair. I have also used 2% keto shampoo for slightly longer than fin
            Yep. I need duta too, I think. Can't really find an excuse to not be on it.

Comment

• UK_
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Highlander
              Don't quote stuff you don't know anything about.

Finasteride doesn't even block DHT completely.
              Finasteride doesnt block DHT at all, it inhibits the function of 5AR.

Comment

• Aeroes
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by UK_
                Finasteride doesnt block DHT at all, it inhibits the function of 5AR.
                Finasteride blocks the enzyme 5AR2 which converts testosterone to DHT. So potentially 60-80%+ of your DHT is inhibited.

Comment

• El Nino
                  • May 2009

Any sides?

Thanks.
                  Is Finasteride for me? No.

For you? Your decision.

Comment

• Shan
                    • Feb 2013

Fin will most likely stop your hair loss.
                    The sides are rare.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                      • Jan 2011

If you are already afraid, scared and thinking about sides and have to ask others opinions on the drug and if you should take it, then you should probably stay away from it.

When I took Propecia for the first time, I asked nobody for their opinion, it was just about stopping my hair loss and regrowing some hair. There's a possible negative side effect for everything. I took risk, didn't care to hear any one's horror stories. If it happens, it happens, drop it and be done with it if you're that scared. Or ride it out to see if the negative side effects wear off.

With your mind set, if you take finasteride, you will most likely blame every single bad thing that happens to you on fin. First clear your mind, see how your hair loss progresses, then if you want to actually do something to stop MPB, get on finasteride.

Comment

• Dan26
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
                        If you are already afraid, scared and thinking about sides and have to ask others opinions on the drug and if you should take it, then you should probably stay away from it.

When I took Propecia for the first time, I asked nobody for their opinion, it was just about stopping my hair loss and regrowing some hair. There's a possible negative side effect for everything. I took risk, didn't care to hear any one's horror stories. If it happens, it happens, drop it and be done with it if you're that scared. Or ride it out to see if the negative side effects wear off.

With your mind set, if you take finasteride, you will most likely blame every single bad thing that happens to you on fin. First clear your mind, see how your hair loss progresses, then if you want to actually do something to stop MPB, get on finasteride.
                        This is great advice.

Comment

• StayThick
                          • Oct 2012

I wouldn't personally do it with what I know now, but I didn't let the horror stories stop me from trying it for myself for a full year. I took it out of desperation and also hoped to not fall in the percentage of those that experience the dreadful side effects.

Well I did experience them and quit after a year. Again, it was a personal decision and lived with the consequences. At the end of the day, it's worth a shot to save your hair. Don't let other's convince you either way. Make a decision for yourself as I did and ride it out. Just be aware of the possible side effects and deal with them accordingly if they arise.

Comment

• tdo
                            • Oct 2012

I dont take fin myself but the guys here have given you great advice.

If I were to ever take fin, Ill start with a lower dosage, say .25mg two or three times a week. If I noticed sides, Ill ride it out a month or two at most.

Comment

Working...