+ Reply to Thread

Default So where does hair loss come from?

where did you get hair loss from?

dad side or mom side

no one in my mother side is bald and on my dad side my dad isnt bald and hes is 50 but he is kind of thinning.

i always heard hair loss comes from the mother side

what are my chances of going bald

Hair loss can come from either side of the family. You have to have a certain variant of the androgen receptor to be vulnerable, but there are many genes that determine the severity or existence of hair loss.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is true that hair loss can come form either side of the family or in some kind of combination. It can also skip a generation. So figuring out exactly where the genetic hair loss comes from is not always easy.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Funny you say that, Im 18 and I currently have a very bad receding hairline that it is almost noticable now and my hairline in general is beginning to deteriorate. I dont know where or why I have it because all of my cousins have full heads of hair, my mothers brothers are in their mid thirties and also have full heads of hairl and my maternal grandfather is 68 with an excellent head of hair for his age. My dad is in his mid fifties and has been thinning over the last couple of years with a bald spot but is not bald and he also had a full head of hair all his life. My dads 2 brothers are the same in that they also began to thin in their fifties and they arent bald either and their hair loss is hardly noticable as they wear their hair long and comb it across. Anyone know why I have it?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You may have to look deeper into the family tree.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Speculation concerning where it came from are useless, and often not evidence based.

Really, who cares? You're losing your hair or you're not. Take preventative measures, or don't.

Worrying about projections of family history because you may (read: won't) be able to predict how bald you'll be is ******ing baseless, ridiculous.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Speculation concerning where it came from are useless, and often not evidence based.

Really, who cares? You're losing your hair or you're not. Take preventative measures, or don't.

Worrying about projections of family history because you may (read: won't) be able to predict how bald you'll be is ******ing baseless, ridiculous.
    This. Seriously. If you have the gene, it doesn't matter where the hell it came from. You just need to worry about fighting it.