+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Body hair for transplant? Which type is best?*

Just been thinking about body hair. I know it has it's own problems/limitations but obviously can be used as a filler essentially. Even if just to provide better density.*

What I was wondering is what's the best hair to use? Beard hair seems popular and so does chest hair. I was just wondering what the next best thing is. I have heard of leg hair being used but only nice. Why? Is not that effective? I noticed I have quite a few "triple hairs" (like 3 seperate hair follicles grouped together) on my legs which I thought in theory would be good for density no? just thinking out loud not necessarily planning on using them.*

As always just asking loads of questions! Thanks everyone *

As you stated, BH is still controversial to date and should always be approached with prior test sessions for any donor site being considered. Is your scalp donor depleted?

To date, BH taken from the chest and face (beard grafts) show the most promising donor sources regarding yield. You are correct in that leg hair cases are far and few between. And to my knowledge, Dr. Umar has the most experience using other regions of the body including leg and arms.

The issues beyond yield are visual compatibility of the BH characteristics compared to the recipient area scalp hair. IMHO, the best approach is when it is mixed into existing hair like the crown which is considered a lower visual impact area than the frontal zone.

Another issue is duration of the growth phase with BH and especially when it is relocated to another area. IMHO, leg hair has been unpredictable at best in both yield and growth phase duration.

We do continue to see more repair patients and those with limited or tapped out donors to consider BH. I for one am anxiously awaiting for more beard cases and chest hair cases to evaluate.

So best wishes to you my friend and remember to insist on doing BH test procedures to see if acceptable results manifest before investing large sums of your hard earned money into it.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

pubic hair

Right now unless you are doing major repair, beard grafts are the only logical non head graft to consider.

Thanks everyone who replied. I have had a ht yet but I'm just trying to plan a head for the future. I will inevitably run out of sonar hair so may well need some elemnat of body hair.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    As you stated, BH is still controversial to date and should always be approached with prior test sessions for any donor site being considered. Is your scalp donor depleted?

To date, BH taken from the chest and face (beard grafts) show the most promising donor sources regarding yield. You are correct in that leg hair cases are far and few between. And to my knowledge, Dr. Umar has the most experience using other regions of the body including leg and arms.

The issues beyond yield are visual compatibility of the BH characteristics compared to the recipient area scalp hair. IMHO, the best approach is when it is mixed into existing hair like the crown which is considered a lower visual impact area than the frontal zone.

Another issue is duration of the growth phase with BH and especially when it is relocated to another area. IMHO, leg hair has been unpredictable at best in both yield and growth phase duration.

We do continue to see more repair patients and those with limited or tapped out donors to consider BH. I for one am anxiously awaiting for more beard cases and chest hair cases to evaluate.

So best wishes to you my friend and remember to insist on doing BH test procedures to see if acceptable results manifest before investing large sums of your hard earned money into it.
    Thanks for your detailed reply. It's much appreciated. Would you mind running through all the potential issues of but for me. So far apart from the yield I have heard that body hair grows at a slower rate. Is that right? Imwas thinking if you had say 2000 grafts. Could you add in another 1000 body hair grafts to use for dense packing? Just to thicken things up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ITNEVERRAINS View Post
    Right now unless you are doing major repair, beard grafts are the only logical non head graft to consider.
    Can I ask why? Is it just the low potential yields or is it the look of it? I was thinking if it as mixed in with normal hair simply to thicken things up.

The success rate of survival is best with beard hair, and when blended/used for repair, gives the best looking results.

Hopefully we have come to the point where the repairs we see guys like Umar make with only beard/body are no longer. IMO its an absolute last resort and does not resemble head hair follicles

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukcali View Post
    Thanks everyone who replied. I have had a ht yet but I'm just trying to plan a head for the future. I will inevitably run out of sonar hair so may well need some elemnat of body hair.

Thanks for your detailed reply. It's much appreciated. Would you mind running through all the potential issues of but for me. So far apart from the yield I have heard that body hair grows at a slower rate. Is that right? Imwas thinking if you had say 2000 grafts. Could you add in another 1000 body hair grafts to use for dense packing? Just to thicken things up?

Thanks
    Here are links to resources for information related to body hair studies. Body hair should NEVER be dense packed. The other day, Dr. Cole mentioned that half the time body hair grows and for the patients in which it grows, approximately half are satisfied with the result. I personally participated in several body hair studies conducted by Dr. Cole. I can tell you first hand that in my case dense packed body hair returned a yield of 0 growth. Chest and stomach hair is the best and Dr. Cole is getting up to 90% yield with beard hair. Chest and stomach hair should only be used when there is no other option. Body hair grew well in my scars and on my hairline.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 01:12 PM.

ukcali,

I would never consider using BH for dense-packing into any area. Mixing it in with scalp hair is one thing, dense-packing it is another. I have never seen any results that I would even call marginally good both in yield and appearance (characteristics).

The growth cycles of BH are varying and quite unique to the scalp. Why? No one seems to know and why it is still in a "try and see what happens" stage.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks again guys for your help it's all very much appreciated

Regarding the dense packing, why is it not good to do it with body hair?

I should point out what I meant was, You know how's its often mentioned people car have approx 90 hairs per cm2 but in transplant terms apparently approx 45 hairs per cm2 will give the illusion of full density. Well what I was suggesting was could you use say 30 scalp hairs and maybe 10-15 body hairs? whether it be beard or other areas.

Thanks again guys. The reason I'm asking so many questions about bht is because I've gt a decent amount of body hair (I shave/wax a lot of it) and have been looking it to getting it lasered off. So I thought if I could have used some of it for my scal (even if it was a tiny bit) then it would have been useful.