+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Identical twin hair loss studies indicate that hair dyes and hair straighteners can be detrimental to healthy hair growth. I use hair dye every month or so and haven't noticed any negative effects.
    As I have stated before, identical twin studies indicate the big three things to avoid are smoking, stress and overexposure to the sun's rays on the scalp.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    wylie,

You may have already mentioned this but how long ago did you have the 5,000 beard grafts, where did you have the procedure done, and how would you rate the overall yield in terms of percentages?

Glad to see that you are happy and your comments on training the beard hair as it achieves length is great to know. Beard hair obviously has a much greater degree of coarseness. What is the maximum length that it has grown in inches?

Thanks again for sharing your details.
    Well, I have had 4 surgeries of 1500 grafts each, with around 1000 or so scalp grafts rebuilding my hairline. If you have only had strip, and are stripped out, FUE can still harvest some scalp grafts that are not available by strip harvesting, usually 1000 at a minimum can be found, but 1500 to 2000 are possible as well. The rest have been all beard grafts. I believe my first repair was done in either 2009 or 2010, and then, in 2011, a combination of impatience and down time allowed me to get two surgeries done in a time span of three months. Even though not the recommended approach, I was on medical leave from work and had one done in September, a month before my return. When I got back, I found out I had 2 weeks vacation, even though I had been off from work all year. So in December, I had another done, and my most recent surgery was 9 months ago, and the fourth surgery was mainly in the strip scars, with around 500 grafts added on top.

So that is four surgeries in total. My hair looks like something I never before thought possible, to go from hopeless to a normal appearance is hugely satisfying.

As far as length goes, I have had my hair around 3 to 3.5" in length on top, but I'll add that I need to use a gel to keep everything in place. At its present length of around 1.5", no gel is necessary.

And let me state there is no way in hell anyone could tell that beard hair is scalp hair at short length. When it grows longer, it sometimes does not lay straight and it can stand out a bit from scalp hair, but would anyone even notice? I highly doubt it. I barely can and I know what to look for. In my opinion, there is no noticeable difference between scalp and beard hair, at least in my case. I read constantly about people saying "it only should be used for repair" or for those "desperate cases" or whatever other reason one can come up, but I honestly cannot see any difference on the scalp. If there is a noticeable difference, it is strip scar repair. The hair has a tendency to curl up, which is far more noticeable than on ones scalp, which isn't really noticeable at all.

My only advice is it is best worn short on top, and if you grow it longer, it is best to use a small amount of gel or hairspray on top. Right now my hair requires no maintenance on top at all when short, and that was NEVER the case before I got butchered all those years ago, and had virgin scalp on top. My thin, wiry hair required a daily dose of gel. Not anymore.

Now on to the yield. This is the tricky part. For my particular case, to achieve this level of repair from 6500 to 7000 grafts, I would have to surmise the yield is at least 80%. I've seen alot of videos with graft counts to think that, considering my dreadful state at the start of my repairs, the yield had to see at least 5000 grafts grow, but possibly more, I honestly cannot say. If the yield was less than 5000 grafts than beard hair produces even better results than I thought possible, but it is also possible the yield is higher than 80%. My results would back that up.

Really, accurately stating ones yield is tricky, with the doctor being the best judge in this regard. We all know that doctors are more than likely to give you best case estimates, so I base mine on my results versus the graft count, which I believe makes it safe to say that my yield would be 80%. I cannot imagine less than 5000 grafts could give me this result.

I plan on getting some good pics. of my hair in its present state and will post them here when I do. I don't have too many "before" pics, but Dermhair clinic does. I personally don't want to remember what I looked like in 2009, it was pretty scary (), and I was not seen without a hat. That is a habit I am just now learning to break. It's really fun going out and about without one.

[QUOTE=35YrsAfter;128675]Identical twin hair loss studies indicate that hair dyes and hair straighteners can be detrimental to healthy hair growth. I use hair dye every month or so and haven't noticed any negative effects.
    As I have stated before, identical twin studies indicate the big three things to avoid are smoking, stress and overexposure to the sun's rays on the scalp.

Interesting point. Whist I don't disagree for a second that dyes and straightening must be bad for your hair, many women (and men) spend their lives dying/blow drying etc their hair and have no issues whatsoever. Is it just that transplants hairs are weaker? So maybe more susceptible to damage? Or is the study showed that these things are "bad" for your hair but didn't necessarily say that it'll damage your transplant?

The identical twin study did not include hair transplant patients. The study's purpose was to determine how "set in stone" the effects of a person's genes are on hair loss. The study demonstrated that the effect of a person's genes can be "swayed" a bit in both directions.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant - Atlanta
    Toll Free 1-800-368-4247
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Wylie,

Let me first state that I am very happy for you regarding your matured results. That was a lot of grafts that you had! It sounds like the beard hair was a good option for you as long as you keep it short as you stated.

True, it is very difficult to determine the overall yield with a session that large and then trying to determine which grafts were beard and which ones were scalp. Either way, the bottom line is that you are happy with the end result and have been able to achieve the level of coverage that you wanted. And from where you came as a repair patient, I would say that was a huge success.

Look forward to your pics and wish you the best in your new appearance.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

This is why you need to be careful with BHT, look at this case

2000 chest only on true nw6

http://www.woodstechnique.com.au/lar...-2000-fue.html

bad hairline, yield and hair growth/direction is sub par

It's often difficult to evaluate a result from photos. 2,000 grafts on a Norwood 6 or 7 is a pretty insignificant number. Severe cases of hair loss require several passes. Of course finer hair should always be used on hairlines, so the shortcomings of the first pass should be anticipated and planned for so they can be addressed later.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Although it may be true that 2,000 grafts spread throughout such a wide recipient area is not going to show much visual gain, still, having the procedure done in 2011 where is the length of the chest hair grafts? No mention made if he was cutting the hair shafts, but it certainly does not appear so nor that he has done anything else to the hair.

The other missing element is a good quality photo of his chest area before and after the extractions. What was the length and quality of the original donor hair? We do not know and so the integrity of the regrowth is also questionable.

To clarify, I am not saying or implying that this case was a failure. There is no audio statement made by the patient post-op so we really do not know if he is satisfied with the first BH pass or not. I mean did he send Dr. Woods the photos because he is not happy "or" for the purposes of planning the second procedure. The clinic did not hear from him for two years?

Obviously his expectations before surgery were discussed with him. And we have to be careful because it is his appearance, not ours. His goals and expectations may be totally different for what we might expect from 2,000 chest hair grafts. And I would not call that a hairline but more of a frame.

After reviewing the case, I wonder why no scalp FUE was used especially in the frontal zone. Very possible that Dr. Woods may have initially advised against surgery with the patient. Possibly after consideration of the surgical limitations, the patient still wanted some level of coverage to build confidence in his appearance.

Some individuals living with advanced classes of hairloss can have much lower expectations than those who still have a fair amount of hair volume and density.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Considerin this surgery would have cost him $30K its safe to say the outcome is disappointing.

Sounds like patient isn't happy with this result, you can tell by dr woods comments.

I don't think this patient have more confidence now than he had before HT, trying to imagine this guy under normal sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by didi View Post
    Considerin this surgery would have cost him $30K its safe to say the outcome is disappointing.

Sounds like patient isn't happy with this result, you can tell by dr woods comments.

I don't think this patient have more confidence now than he had before HT, trying to imagine this guy under normal sunlight.
    You are right about the cost and yes I did get the impression that he is not happy, especially since there was no commentary from the patient. Again I wonder why no scalp FUE. It's also cheaper in cost as compared to BHT.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net