+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finasteride 2 months - hairline worsening

So I know you shouldn't see any cosmetic improvement from finasteride in 2 months, I wasn't expecting any, but surely your hairline shouldn't continue to get worse?

One side of my hairline that was considered juvenile has just started to recede now, maybe a few millimetres from where it was 2 months ago, my other temple that is probably at NW1.5 is getting worse I think too.

I wonder sometimes if my finasteride is legit, I bought it before I knew about any of these forums so I bought it off a website that I can't even seem to find anymore but then I also read that finasteride is so cheap to produce there would be no point in faking it?

Maybe you're going through a shed?

I was going through a shed before finasteride from what I'm pretty sure was Telogen Effluvium, suffering from TE is what made me look at my hair closely and realise my hairline was receding.

Since then my shedding has gone down quite a bit but I think that's just because TE is ending rather than anything to do with the fin as my hairline has got slightly worse.

I'm very paranoid about the amount of hairs I lose a day as at the height of TE I was losing maybe 200 a day. Now I can't say I lose more than about 3 in the shower and maybe 10 combing my hair afterwards which I'm pretty sure is normal hairloss from someone not suffering from MPB.

People who do not suffer from MPB and go through normal hair phases, shed 50-100 and even 150 hairs a day. Shedding 200 hairs a day would not be seen as abnormal either.

But yeah, 3 hairs in the shower, and 10 while combing is nothing. It means the drugs are working.

A hairline becoming worse is the strangest finasteride side effect I have ever seen being mentioned on hair loss forums. You are not the first to mention such a thing, and you won't be the last. I'm not sure how that could even happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    People who do not suffer from MPB and go through normal hair phases, shed 50-100 and even 150 hairs a day. Shedding 200 hairs a day would not be seen as abnormal either.

But yeah, 3 hairs in the shower, and 10 while combing is nothing. It means the drugs are working.

A hairline becoming worse is the strangest finasteride side effect I have ever seen being mentioned on hair loss forums. You are not the first to mention such a thing, and you won't be the last. I'm not sure how that could even happen.
    Yeah I don't really understand it either, I'm going to stick with it, I have some dut on the way but I'm not planning on using it straight away, I just want it there as a back up in a few months time if I still have seen no improvement.

My view on my hairloss literally changes hour on hour, I still can't decide whether the little vellus hairs on my hairline are miniaturised hairs that are eventually going to completely die or if they are hairs that propecia is re growing that were not there beforehand. If the later is true and they turned into healthy normal hairs I'd basically be back at a juvenile hairline again.

Did you take pics before getting on treatments?

In a month and a half I also got new hairs on my hairline, and I am positive they are new because I took pre-treatment pics and that area was slick bald. What helps me even more is that I conveniently have a small dot birthmark at least on one side of my temples which was hairless before starting Dut+Rogaine, and now there is hair over it.

I will show you a current picture of my progress, but no before pic yet, because I do not want to derail your thread with attracting members disputing the difference. Give me a sec.

I apologize if it is too big. These are both the same pics, I left one undrawn though. The one that is marked, all of those hairs are new. I have pics of last month where that part is slick bald. Also, not a big deal, but those hairs connecting my temple and eyebrows are also new, and all of those random little hairs uncircled all over my forehead are also new. FYI the birthmark on the pic is not the aforementioned birthmark, the one I am talking about is on the other side, right on my temple.

Do your vellus hairs look something like this?

Again, sorry for the size. I have years on this site and still don't know how to post them like every one else.

I'm 3 months in and have the same problem. I also think my crown is starting to thin and I'd never had that problem before. At least I never noticed it. Unfortunately I didn't take pics of my crown at the beginning because I thought it was only my hairline that was the issue.

Gonna start Nirozal tomorrow because my scalp's starting to itch a bit. Then in a few months' time if things haven't improved (or have got worse) I'll go and see one of those mystical healing people who hand out cards outside London Tube stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyy View Post
    So I know you shouldn't see any cosmetic improvement from finasteride in 2 months, I wasn't expecting any, but surely your hairline shouldn't continue to get worse?

One side of my hairline that was considered juvenile has just started to recede now, maybe a few millimetres from where it was 2 months ago, my other temple that is probably at NW1.5 is getting worse I think too.

I wonder sometimes if my finasteride is legit, I bought it before I knew about any of these forums so I bought it off a website that I can't even seem to find anymore but then I also read that finasteride is so cheap to produce there would be no point in faking it?
    I'm 2.5 months in and have only lost ground as well.

I'm still shedding profusely. The hairs are exclusively those with "clubs", or the white bulbs. I've read up on it, and I've heard a lot of mixed things about what it means. My understanding is the hairs that are shed with the "clubs" are in telogen phase -- meaning they are going dormant, and will hopefully be growing back thicker and stronger. *fingers crossed* I've also heard others say the exact opposite -- that it's a bad sign that the hairs have clubs.

Regardless, I'm sticking it up, and advise you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'm 3 months in and have the same problem. I also think my crown is starting to thin and I'd never had that problem before.
    Well, shit, sounds like there's a ton of us with the same issue. I just started 2% keto again (once per week). I need to order some now that my current bottle (prescription) is running low -- anyone have advice?

My crown is also noticeable since starting finasteride. I don't chalk that up to finasteride, but rather just my pattern of baldness (similar to yours, and Woody's). I wouldn't invest too much thought into it.

Ughhhh, so sick of this hair loss shit.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post

Do your vellus hairs look something like this?

Again, sorry for the size. I have years on this site and still don't know how to post them like every one else.
    Yeah mine are like those but I think mine are a bit longer, the thing is I'm not sure if they are continuing to get longer or not, if they are growing then its not at the speed of the rest of my hair.