+ Reply to Thread

Question Lessons from Ol' Country?

Hi everyone
    I just wanted to propose a few ideas to you all

My parents are from a little tropical country in Asia.
    My mothers entire family settled in the UK (no history of MPB in entire family ever)
    But my fathers is the only one from his family here.

What I noticed is that my father is the only person in his entire family to go bald. He has 8 brothers with the eldest 4 in their 60's who are greying but remain at NW0 to this day. In general, it is much rarer to see balding over there.

I decided that this must be due to lifestyle changes.

Along with a high Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio diet with plenty of vegetables back there, there is one old tradition that the people there swear by to keep hair healthy: oiling the scalp. It's a big thing over there with a plethora of different hair oils on sale.

As old-wivesy as it may seem, I have only recently began to wonder how it could help. And this may seem far fetched but I think I can see the link.

Japanese researchers discovered a link between MPB and elevated sebum levels in the parts of the scalp affected. From my understanding it is the sebum in the scalp that carries the DHT.

I spoke to my dermatologist about general shampooing of the scalp when I had a dry scalp but greasy hair. She explained to me that over washing the scalp can cause the glands to go into overdrive and produce more of the oily stuff.

So I wonder if keeping the scalp oiled with something DHT free such as hair oil rather than with something DHT laden such as the natural sebum we produce would help in any way?

I will personally try this along with 5% Minox, 2% nizoral shampoo 3 times a week and another tonic of Ceterizine (PGD2 killa) and water to apply twice a day. This and a teaspoon of Cod Liver oil to get some anti-inflammatory Omega 3 in me.

The routine I plan to follow will be like so (starting from night):

1.Wash scalp with Niz at night
    2.Apply Min and then Cet
    3.Oil scalp with hair oil
    Sleep
    4. Wash HAIR with mild shampoo in morning
    5. Dermaroller with Min and Cet
    Go about day

Does this sound sensible to anyone?
    Thanks in advance.

Would the hair oil affect Minox absorption? I shave my head and have been considering using jojoba oil as a scalp conditioner during the summer. I've been reluctant to do so. Does it matter if the oil is applied before vs. after Minox?

I have some vitamin e oil that I originally bought for stretch marks a while back, do you think there would be any benefit in applying this to the vellus hairs at my hairline.

Inactive

Your father's case is very, very strange. I don't think oiling the scalp would inhibit DHT in any way, but perhaps it would prevent the scalp from secreting DHT-laden sebum like you are suggesting. An interesting comparison is that people with oily faces are often advised to moisturize to prevent excess oil from being secreted. Perhaps this would work similarly?

In any case, some people SWEAR emu oil (I think it was emu oil) made them regrow hair. There was even a thread I remember seeing on another forum where some guy regrew terminal hairs in his temples using emu oil.

Castor oil is good for scalp