Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MHT vs SMP

Default MHT vs SMP

I've posted a couple threads on this topic recently and not gotten any responses which is a little discouraging...hopefully one of you will have some advice on this one--I had a FUT (2,500 grafts) transplant done two years ago and it left me with a big scar. As i can't tolerate propecia my hair has continued to thin out and now I am left with an awkward hairline and more thinning behind. It sucks, it really does.

I'd like to be able to shave my head and not worry about the scar--I shaved it recently to see how bad the scar would look and man, bad idea...but how else was I to know (in my case at least) what kind of scar I was dealing with? Well, now I know, and I really want to treat the scar with SMP or MHT--my understanding of these procedures is that MHT is permanent and SMP fades over two years time. Since I want to have a scar covered and not my whole head is MHT still a bad option? I am aware that I could have some discoloration over time--however, I wonder if this is not as easy as simply getting a touch up (as one might have to do with a tattoo anywhere else on their body).

Any and all thoughts and opinions for either MHT or SMP for scar repair would be really helpful for me to make some educated decisions about how to proceed. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images

Doing a permanent tattoo can be a big mistake. Try the temporary SMP to see if you even like the way it looks.

delphi, thanks for the response--in a perfect world i would do just that--try SMP first, etc--but finances limit me from trying everything. of course permanent procedures should be treated with a lot of respect. i went into my HT with respect for the process--my HT is a good one, my continued hair loss is the problem. i have a few tattoos on my body and have had them touched up over the years to maintain the shading (they're all black ink). my question everyone out there is if MHT is the same type of thing? if it is then i can't imagine it being such a bad option--if it fades or changes color you get it touched up. Or is my logic flawed? opinions are great, however, first hand experience from other members here is what i'd like to get--why do i get the feeling no one wants to take about their own MHT experience?

Quote Originally Posted by philippe View Post
    delphi, thanks for the response--in a perfect world i would do just that--try SMP first, etc--but finances limit me from trying everything. of course permanent procedures should be treated with a lot of respect. i went into my HT with respect for the process--my HT is a good one, my continued hair loss is the problem. i have a few tattoos on my body and have had them touched up over the years to maintain the shading (they're all black ink). my question everyone out there is if MHT is the same type of thing? if it is then i can't imagine it being such a bad option--if it fades or changes color you get it touched up. Or is my logic flawed? opinions are great, however, first hand experience from other members here is what i'd like to get--why do i get the feeling no one wants to take about their own MHT experience?
    Every time the artist or tech will try to go over the same tiny dot to retouch it they will cause more ink bleeding. In time your head will be a mess. Don't go the permanent route. No respected doctor or expert in hair loss would ever recommend it.

I am sad that u had to have a scar like this.....hopefully a #3 will hide it...but in the mean time, I wish u the best in finding a cure.

Boy does this look familiar. Sorry your dealing with this. Please read my thread.... it might help. My advise is to get that scar grafted....It will take at least 2 passes but once done, you will be able to buzz down with a 1 or 2 guard. A good Surgeon will be able to make use of the grafts you had transplanted. Simply put, it is going to take time, SMP really only looks great when there is hair in and around it. you still need a 3 dimensional effect and only hair can do that. Graft the scar first then use SMP or Trico to touch up.
    I used Dr Cole because of his FUE experience and results. Others also have their favorites. Do your research.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8884

Boy does this look familiar. Sorry your dealing with this. Please read my thread.... it might help. My advise is to get that scar grafted....It will take at least 2 passes but once done, you will be able to buzz down with a 1 or 2 guard. A good Surgeon will be able to make use of the grafts you had transplanted. Simply put, it is going to take time, SMP really only looks great when there is hair in and around it. you still need a 3 dimensional effect and only hair can do that. Graft the scar first then use SMP or Trico to touch up.
    I used Dr Cole because of his FUE experience and results. Others also have their favorites. Do your research.
    northeastguy, i can't tell you how much i appreciate your comments and your taking the time to share so much detailed first hand information on this forum. guys like you make this forum worthwhile. as you've gathered from my photo i am in a similar position that you were in a short time ago. i am hoping to be able to start tackling this scar revision in the coming months. would love to see your current pics? this pics i saw on your thread were from last year i believe. my goal is to be able to go down to a 1 or 2 guard with no scar visibility. how are you feeling about your treatments 1 year out?

Hi Phillipe.... sorry for the delay. I'm just testing your patience as you begin your journey. Kidding.... but patience is a must. If you go to my thread, I recently posted some before and 11 months post of the first procedure. I had my second pass 2 weeks ago. To get the best results, a minimum of 2 passes with FUE will be needed. There is no doubt you will be able to use a 2 guard after you graft the scar. 1 guard is not out of the question but to me, I feel this is where SMP or Trico helps tremendously. Is your scar flat? If so, you could jump right into the grafting. Find someone who does mostly if not all FUE and has a high yield of success grafting into scars. Reach out if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post
    Hi Phillipe.... sorry for the delay. I'm just testing your patience as you begin your journey. Kidding.... but patience is a must. If you go to my thread, I recently posted some before and 11 months post of the first procedure. I had my second pass 2 weeks ago. To get the best results, a minimum of 2 passes with FUE will be needed. There is no doubt you will be able to use a 2 guard after you graft the scar. 1 guard is not out of the question but to me, I feel this is where SMP or Trico helps tremendously. Is your scar flat? If so, you could jump right into the grafting. Find someone who does mostly if not all FUE and has a high yield of success grafting into scars. Reach out if you have any questions.
    Why wouldn't you do SMP and then do grafting?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Why wouldn't you do SMP and then do grafting?
    It just makes sense. It is far easier for a SMP tech to add dots and shading in and around existing hairs..... if there is adjusting need, it can be done with instant results. Also, I doubt a physician desires to work on a scalp that is loaded with ink.

Besides...... the outcome of the FUE might lead one to not need SMP at all.