+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Finasteride and infertility....and some other stuff

Hey all,

I'm a young guy (22 years old) and I know that one of the potential side effects of this drug is infertility. I don't intend to impregnate anyone any time soon but I would like to have the option in the future, so this is kind of a big concern for me. Does anyone have any experiences or knowledge to share on this topic? I've been taking Finasteride for several years now. I'm not sure how effective it has been due to my young age and the gradual nature of its process, but I don't want to stop taking it because I'm afraid that if I do, it'll turn out that it was helping my hair quite a bit, and I really don't want to be losing any more hair than I can help as I'm pretty insecure about all this.

I've briefly looked into alternative options for preventing further hair loss, but nothing looks too appealing. I don't use Rogaine because I don't know if it would work and I don't want to deal with the shedding phase, like I really don't want to deal with any shedding. I never really used any special shampoo or conditioner either, though I did just start using some horse shampoo/conditioner recommended by a friend for thicker hair. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of horse shampoo are welcome as well.

I've also considered looking into a hair transplant procedure, but I've always had the feeling that those just don't end up looking natural. I hear they're better than they used to be but I'm still skeptical. Currently most of my hair is still there, and I don't know if a transplant would be necessary, but it's definitely something to think about for the near future. Any thoughts on this?

Having done a lot of research myself, infertility isnt really a listed side effect. There have been quite a few men who fathered children while on the drug. Spex on the Bald Truth show is such a guy. If infertility happens, so rare that it is almost unheard of. When it comes to sexual sides, Erectile Disfunction and watery semen are the more common sides.

Some guys get no sides at all and are on the drug for 20 years. Some guys get sides right away but they go away with time. Some guys get sides that go away when the dosage is reduced. Some guys CLAIM to get permanent sides like complete impotence after taking the drug one week. (very skeptic about this one).

You never know till you try it. I am going to take the dive next week.

I am in the virtually no side effects.

I got a rubbery one and watery semen for about 3 weeks and it went away. Nothing since then. I have noticed my hair has stabilized. I have been on it since the end of January.

Drybone what dosage of what type if fin are you on?

Hey.

I do 5mg tablets because they are the cheapest. I dont take it everyday. I only want to take 1mg a day.

I used to cut them into 4 and take 1.25 mg a day but now I cut them in half and just take 2.5 mg every two days.

Seems to work great and its inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordknight View Post
    Having done a lot of research myself, infertility isnt really a listed side effect. There have been quite a few men who fathered children while on the drug. Spex on the Bald Truth show is such a guy. If infertility happens, so rare that it is almost unheard of. When it comes to sexual sides, Erectile Disfunction and watery semen are the more common sides.

Some guys get no sides at all and are on the drug for 20 years. Some guys get sides right away but they go away with time. Some guys get sides that go away when the dosage is reduced. Some guys CLAIM to get permanent sides like complete impotence after taking the drug one week. (very skeptic about this one).

You never know till you try it. I am going to take the dive next week.
    yes that about sums it up its all over the map

Quote Originally Posted by Gordknight View Post
    Some guys get no sides at all and are on the drug for 20 years. Some guys get sides right away but they go away with time.

Quoting to note the fact that quite often its a mental placebo effect, you'll get sides because you THINK you should get sides. That's one of the main things to conquer.

Im sure if you look on the side of a paracetamol box it probably says that infertility COULD be a side effect, anything that isn't supplements that you put in your face in the form of a pill COULD- APPARENTLY cause infertility, so does smoking....

As its been suggested I don't think its likely.