+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 yrs old, Hair thinning out drastically

Hey, Let me start off and introduce myself, My names Jeramee, Im 21 years old as stated in the title, Ever since i turned 21, Sept 10th of last year iv noticed my hair has been consistently shedding more then normal, I have never had problems with my hair, It has always been thick, Now 8 months later, My hair has drastically changed, U can see my scalp if i move or raise any of my hair, My hair line is fully thinned out, The crown of my hair on the *Vortex* Or the top back of my head has spaced and thinned out also, After i wash my hair and my hair is still wet u can see that iv lost maybe 60% of the hair on the top of my head its all transparent, The back and sides are still thick and dark, I dont really see any hair loss in those areas, Now, My father has thick curly hair on the sides and back of his head, None on the top but heres a weird tip, Hes worn a base ball cap his whole entire life, I see him sleep with it on pretty much he never takes it off, His head never breaths so i can see why hes got no hair up there.. His dad was also bald due to hair loss,, My 1 cousin that's in his early 40s is fully bald and so he shaves his head. I have about 6-7 other male cousins and they dont have any problems with their hair also i have no brothers, now i know u get it apparently from your mothers father, Or so iv heard, I never met my grandfather on my moms side but iv seen a picture of him in his 70s and he had a full head of hair, My mom also has good hair if that matters,, Basically i cant rule out if its genetic or not, i went to the doctor the first time about 6 months ago roughly about the shedding and the one there at the time didn't really give me much advice other then a blood test, thyroid and everything came back fine, So i thought nothing of it, Hair got worse so i went back last month and seen my family doctor, he recommended i did a blood test again, said i had diffuse thinning of the hair i believe, I asked if i could get a prescription for propecia and he told me that propecia is basically proscar that they are made of the same contents and its to treat prostate cancer i persisted to say i would like to take it to maintain the hair i have and hopefully grow it back, He wouldn't prescribe me it because im to young apparently and he didn't want to risk the side effects, Now im not sure what to do, Do i go back and demand it?, Or is there another solution, At this rate tho with the shedding and hair loss i could have extreme receding of my hairline and loss of hair in the next 8 months.. I take zinc and omega 3's every day, i have b12's calcium and other vitamins i take here and there, None of them seem to be helping, I bought organic shampoo that hasn't helped either. Im down to my last options and that's ride it out or shave my head, Now this is a personal opinion i dont think i would look good with a shaved head, it personally wouldn't suit me and i have a few chick friends who iv known for along time and give me there honest opinion on it and say the same thing, I need my hair,

Anyway bottom line, Im not sure if i covered the right things or not, I need a solution for my hair, How can i find out if this is for sure MPB or not, Should i just get on propecia asap?, If i shave my hair will it grow back thicker? Everybody i ask says it will, Im starting to get really stressed out and self conscious about this, hopefully i could get some replys and answers,

Thanks

-Jeramee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg

Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	20909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.JPG

Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	20910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg

Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	20911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg

Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	20912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG

Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	20913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG

Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	20914  

Quote Originally Posted by JerameeM View Post
    Hey, Let me start off and introduce myself, My names Jeramee, Im 21 years old as stated in the title, Ever since i turned 21, Sept 10th of last year iv noticed my hair has been consistently shedding more then normal, I have never had problems with my hair, It has always been thick, Now 8 months later, My hair has drastically changed, U can see my scalp if i move or raise any of my hair, My hair line is fully thinned out, The crown of my hair on the *Vortex* Or the top back of my head has spaced and thinned out also, After i wash my hair and my hair is still wet u can see that iv lost maybe 60% of the hair on the top of my head its all transparent, The back and sides are still thick and dark, I dont really see any hair loss in those areas, Now, My father has thick curly hair on the sides and back of his head, None on the top but heres a weird tip, Hes worn a base ball cap his whole entire life, I see him sleep with it on pretty much he never takes it off, His head never breaths so i can see why hes got no hair up there.. His dad was also bald due to hair loss,, My 1 cousin that's in his early 40s is fully bald and so he shaves his head. I have about 6-7 other male cousins and they dont have any problems with their hair also i have no brothers, now i know u get it apparently from your mothers father, Or so iv heard, I never met my grandfather on my moms side but iv seen a picture of him in his 70s and he had a full head of hair, My mom also has good hair if that matters,, Basically i cant rule out if its genetic or not, i went to the doctor the first time about 6 months ago roughly about the shedding and the one there at the time didn't really give me much advice other then a blood test, thyroid and everything came back fine, So i thought nothing of it, Hair got worse so i went back last month and seen my family doctor, he recommended i did a blood test again, said i had diffuse thinning of the hair i believe, I asked if i could get a prescription for propecia and he told me that propecia is basically proscar that they are made of the same contents and its to treat prostate cancer i persisted to say i would like to take it to maintain the hair i have and hopefully grow it back, He wouldn't prescribe me it because im to young apparently and he didn't want to risk the side effects, Now im not sure what to do, Do i go back and demand it?, Or is there another solution, At this rate tho with the shedding and hair loss i could have extreme receding of my hairline and loss of hair in the next 8 months.. I take zinc and omega 3's every day, i have b12's calcium and other vitamins i take here and there, None of them seem to be helping, I bought organic shampoo that hasn't helped either. Im down to my last options and that's ride it out or shave my head, Now this is a personal opinion i dont think i would look good with a shaved head, it personally wouldn't suit me and i have a few chick friends who iv known for along time and give me there honest opinion on it and say the same thing, I need my hair,

Anyway bottom line, Im not sure if i covered the right things or not, I need a solution for my hair, How can i find out if this is for sure MPB or not, Should i just get on propecia asap?, If i shave my hair will it grow back thicker? Everybody i ask says it will, Im starting to get really stressed out and self conscious about this, hopefully i could get some replys and answers,

Thanks

-Jeramee

you look like you have good mid anterior density. If hair loss concerns you like most people you should ask a doctor to prescribe you finasteride. its very effective in keeping hair and you ma see some regrowth. There are some potential side effects (albeit rare and internet hype makes them seem far more prevelant) clinically its about 2% for sexual side effects. The key thing to remember though is at the current technology there is only really prevention, most will not see regrowth. once its gone its gone so decide now if you want to treat it or not.

I'm no doctor so I can't advise on whether to take finasteride or not at your age. One thing that every here seems to agree on is that Nizoral 2% shampoo is effective. It's obviously topical, so messing with your hormones won't be an issue. Here in Canada, you can buy it off the shelf. If you live somewhere else, the other guys on this forum would be able to tell you where to buy it better than I can. An herb called Saw Palmetto is also used by some people, although there is contraversy about its effectiveness and some guys say it's messed with their libido. Other than that, I always advise young guys to pay attention to their studies so they can get a good job and afford the future treatments that are now coming out. For example, Histogen is a treament which is a few years away and apparently quite effective and has a projected cost of $2K U.S. Other solutions like Dr. Gho's method of hair stemcell transplantation start around $10K to re-do a hairline. I know it seems like funny advice, but learn how to manage your finances and invest so you'll be able to get these treatments. That's what I did, and it's of great comfort to know now that I can afford pretty much anything that comes out.

Finasteride has the potential for sexual side effects, you should research them before committing.

Quote Originally Posted by JerameeM View Post

Thanks

-Jeramee
    What happened years later?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez123 View Post
    What happened years later?
    Shaving your head does nothing for hair thickness. It might not even be male baldness. Hard to say,
    because your hair really doesn't look diffuse.

You should probably find out what it is first. Your hairline is in the right place. You don't seem
    to have vertex thinning.

First off get a full mineral check up to see if your are missing anything in you diet at your age you could be lacking some.