+ Reply to Thread

Question Has anyone ruled out ever getting a hair transplant?

I realize that this forum is a great resource for people who have had, or intend to have, hair transplants. However, has anyone either completely ruled out the possibility of getting an HT, or would rather go actual bald than resort to surgery?

Why not? Is it the cost, the risk and pain involved with surgery, lack of donor regeneration in common usage, worry that future miracle procedures might make HTs obsolete? What is your reason?

I have ruled it out. But I think the question is not so much why not? but rather why? My focus isn't so much on covering or curing my balding, but rather on dealing with it as a natural part of the aging process which most men will have to endure at some point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentarou View Post
    I realize that this forum is a great resource for people who have had, or intend to have, hair transplants. However, has anyone either completely ruled out the possibility of getting an HT, or would rather go actual bald than resort to surgery?

Why not? Is it the cost, the risk and pain involved with surgery, lack of donor regeneration in common usage, worry that future miracle procedures might make HTs obsolete? What is your reason?
    I agree. Besides all these problems, one another problem with HT is that the donor hair is not really similar to the hair that you used to have on top of the head. For example, I used to have very straight hair on top of of my head, while hair in my donor region has a little curl.

Inactive

For now, yes. I'm more concerned with prevention than anything. I would be happy if I could maintain forever (looking to regrow a bit, though). It's pretty much a last resort should the need ever arise.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Pentarou , this is a very good thread to start up. Of course HTs are not for everyone. It is just one type of treatment. It all depends on individual and personal factors when considering one treatment over the other.

Aames partial response -
    "... I'm more concerned with prevention than anything..."
    (which is a great reason not to consider having a HT at this time).

Mpalardy responded-"..dealing with it as a natural part of the aging process.." another great response too but as Ive said, personal factors play a part which drive us to one conclusion over the other.

Lightbulb

I , speaking personally, am not going to contemplate getting a HT until there are better ways to maintain hair, or preferably when donor regeneration techniques are proven and more widespread. Which unfortunately may be a long time away. I would however strongly consider a HT if it could act as a bridge between now and new treatments, but only then if there was a clear timeframe for their availability.

Personally, I know I will never have a hair-transplant, even if had a million dollars. The thing that's been bugging me the most with going bald, is losing my identity: the thing that's been with me my entire life.
    As much as I want my hair back, if it doesn't grow in some sort of natural way and if I have to actually 'transplant' or paste it in some sort of artificial way, it's not not really 'me'.

In my eyes a hair-transplant is like a very tightly pasted toupee.

I'd also like to add I'm also not too impressed with the current generation of HT's. What's the point of getting thinly covered hair transplanted back if you still need concealers and all the usual drugs to get the desired effect? It's like you're balding for eternity! I think/hope I'll be much happier by the time I'm brave and bald enough to get the razor and go the slick bald way.

Bring me an invention that can actually reactivate the haircells - even if it's in 30-40 years - and I'll be on the first row though.