+ Reply to Thread

Default Golden Rule of Transplants: Wait until age of 30 to decide???

I heard this on Spencer's show one time: Do not get a hair transplant until you are atleast 30 years of age...

Also, it makes a lot of sense because the caller said your attitude towards hair loss changes once you reach your 30s....You may not want one anymore.

I also like that Spencer said that, 'hey, try and improve other areas of your life'.....

So basically throw away your 20s and only live after that? I mean what if you can get a hair transplant in your early 20s and it lasts for a good 5-10 years. We all know hairloss progresses as we age, but i feel most guys just want to live their 20s with confidence and hair.

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    So basically throw away your 20s and only live after that? I mean what if you can get a hair transplant in your early 20s and it lasts for a good 5-10 years. We all know hairloss progresses as we age, but i feel most guys just want to live their 20s with confidence and hair.
    Hey John.

I understand how you feel , but I think there is a fine line between doing what we can to look our best and feel better about ourselves and outright devastation.

The long term effects of a hair transplant are drastic and real. The hair grows as long as you are alive. Its a huge mistake to do a hair transplant until you can be sure of what your pattern of loss is going to be.

And transplants are not the only remedy. There is also medication to stop losing hair. There is also kinds of hair thickeners that will make your hair look much better.

And if you cant use the hair thickeners and dont want to use the medication, you can always shave your hair down for the buzz look. Some guys look very good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Hey John.

I understand how you feel , but I think there is a fine line between doing what we can to look our best and feel better about ourselves and outright devastation.

The long term effects of a hair transplant are drastic and real. The hair grows as long as you are alive. Its a huge mistake to do a hair transplant until you can be sure of what your pattern of loss is going to be.

And transplants are not the only remedy. There is also medication to stop losing hair. There is also kinds of hair thickeners that will make your hair look much better.

And if you cant use the hair thickeners and dont want to use the medication, you can always shave your hair down for the buzz look. Some guys look very good with it.

I see what your saying but i just hate how like its forbidden to get a small HT in your early 20s. Like why wait until your youth is gone and look back and say i wish i wouldve had something done. Im just saying if this scarless surgery is possible, than get a small procedure done at an early age seems possible.

What's kind of contradictory is that while Spencer advises on waiting til you're 30 years old to get an HT (which I agree with), I see many IAHRS surgeons on here who operate on plenty of people much younger than 30. Hell, I was on here once and I saw the results of a surgeon performed an HT for an 18-year-old kid.

I think Spencer's advice has always been extremely sound, and this topic reminds of a show I heard about 3 months ago.

A 27 ( I think) year old guy kept calling the show, like every other week to ask about hair transplants. Spencer told him right off the bat that judging from the callers desperateness and lack of understanding of the process that he should not have one, or at the very least wait a year and reevaluate.

This caller called in after about a year or so and thanked Spencer for his wisdom and said that after listening to the show every week and learning more about the commitment of hair transplants that he has decided not to have one. He said that TBT gave him time to become more comfortable with the idea of just shaving it off and living his life and he said he is very happy now.

Sometimes we just need perspective and time.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    I think Spencer's advice has always been extremely sound, and this topic reminds of a show I heard about 3 months ago.

A 27 ( I think) year old guy kept calling the show, like every other week to ask about hair transplants. Spencer told him right off the bat that judging from the callers desperateness and lack of understanding of the process that he should not have one, or at the very least wait a year and reevaluate.

This caller called in after about a year or so and thanked Spencer for his wisdom and said that after listening to the show every week and learning more about the commitment of hair transplants that he has decided not to have one. He said that TBT gave him time to become more comfortable with the idea of just shaving it off and living his life and he said he is very happy now.

Sometimes we just need perspective and time.

Nice post PayDay...I'll run through the gfq youtube channel to find that show and watch it....
    The show I was talking about was with the owner of this device called the headblade....I'll probably just stick to a #2 though....

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    I see what your saying but i just hate how like its forbidden to get a small HT in your early 20s. Like why wait until your youth is gone and look back and say i wish i wouldve had something done. Im just saying if this scarless surgery is possible, than get a small procedure done at an early age seems possible.
    Fair enough John. Can you post some pics so we can try to evaluate your hairloss? We are not doctors but there are some pretty knowledgeable guys on here who can pretty well tell you to a rough degree of certainty what your hairloss will be by time you are 50.

This is probably the key. If you are going to end up NW 5 or 6 , then I strongly advise you to wait because you will have to accept a more receded hairline anyways. Put up some photos and lets see