How do you live with your hairloss? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up How do you live with your hairloss?

Most of the time I just do a weird combover and that works for me. Somedays when it's really bad I use Toppik. That is some good stuff, but if it rains your in trouble lol.

Wink Blow Dryers Rule!

As a female living with hair loss I work on self acceptance. That and I invest in a super duper hair dryer and I have an arsenal of thickening products. I'm quite sure I've tried every thickening shampoo on the market. My shower looks like the shampoo isle of the grocery store! I have heard pretty favorable things about toppik though I haven't yet used it myself.

Toppik works great giving you the appearance of more hair. I think women can use it too, just make sure you get the right color to match your hair.

I've used many thickening shampoos as well. A good one I've come across is Thicker Fuller Hair. I got it for $5 at Walgreens. It works pretty well too.

Thumbs up

Cosmetic concealers can be great if you learn how to finesse them. I currently use DermMatch, but I've used the keratin fiber based products in the past with good results.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

i used to use toppik. i havent used it in a while but it worked pretty well for me. if you use too much it can get kind of ugly though. ive just been going without anything lately and things have been ok. but its funny: there must be something different about the water where im living now...because my hair just doesnt look as good when im here. i think we have some crazy static energy in the house here too because it's a real struggle to try to get me hair to behave when im styling it. ive got to get one of those hair dryers that reduces static. i used to have one and it worked great.

Question

Will Toppick or Dermatch help in the hairline? Can I buy it in a store or just online?
    Sorry for all the questions guys, but don't think I remember hearing Spencer talk about this on the show.

Lightbulb The Hairline Is a Tough One.

It is possible to make your existing hairline look a little thicker, but you can't apply these products directly on the front edge of your hairline. These concealers work best in the crown and the mid anterior scalp if you still have a significant amount of hair in that area.

I've seen guys "paint" their hairlines and in my opinion it looks ridiculous....not that I look that hot

I think you can find these products in some beauty supply houses, but they are easily found online.

Hope this helps!
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Will Toppick or Dermatch help in the hairline? Can I buy it in a store or just online?
    Sorry for all the questions guys, but don't think I remember hearing Spencer talk about this on the show.
    Dude, I'll send you a huge container or two of Toppik that I never used for free.

I had a "discussion" with a lady who uses Toppik and she insisted that it was a great product. I agree, but I don't want to hide it, I want to treat it or replace it (that's just me and I'm extreme when it comes to hair, don't be like me!). However, it can't be good for the lungs breathing in those tiny fibers on a daily basis over several years. I have no evidence of this and I am not a doctor, but it can't be good for your lungs. My bet is that no study has been done on this product causing lung damage and likely never will be.

Anyway, if you want a HUGE bottle of Toppik, it's yours.

Wink Come on Joe, let's not start a panic

There is no reason to think that breathing in keratin fibers will damage your lungs in anyway.

Hey isn't your Mom a hair dresser? Hairdressers breath in some really harsh chemicals day in and day out. Does she ever discuss these concerns with you? Just curious.

God knows I've been breathing in hair spray fumes for more than 20 years! Mix that with the Dermatch, a few years of smoking and who the hell knows what's going on with me. Oh well...
    Spencer Kobren

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    There is no reason to think that breathing in keratin fibers will damage your lungs in anyway.

Hey isn't your Mom a hair dresser? Hairdressers breath in some really harsh chemicals day in and day out. Does she ever discuss these concerns with you? Just curious.

God knows I've been breathing in hair spray fumes for more than 20 years! Mix that with the Dermatch, a few years of smoking and who the hell knows what's going on with me. Oh well...

Yes, and hairdressers have higher cases of dementia as well. Yes, she does have an onset of dementia as well and she also had cancer. 30 years of those chemicals...... Perms, hair color, and cleaners can't be good.

I can't prove it, but there is a show on PBS that talks about hairdressers, nail techs, and other occupations that have higher rates of dementia and lung disorders from the toxic products they use on a daily basis.

Also, Toppik contains silica and it's thought that silica may cause lung cancer, if inhaled often.

"Very finely powdered silica can, if inhaled over a long period of time, cause serious health effects. It becomes lodged in the lungs and causes constant irritation, and since silica cannot be absorbed, the more exposure there is, the more it builds up in the lungs. long term inhalation can lead to bronchitis, silicosis and, very rarely, lung cancer."

I can't prove this, so who's going to pay attention, but I myself, quit using it years ago. I'm NOT suggesting anyone quit using it, it's just MY choice to avoid it. It does work well though!

I think one must ALWAYS challenge medical information from drug companies, cosmetic companies, and even your own doctor. My mom had cancer and 2 good doctors said it was nothing. She (I) demanded a digital MRI and it found cancer.
    Last edited by JustJoe; 11-08-2008 at 09:11 PM.