+ Reply to Thread

Default HIV cure within months

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/05/01/H...3411367462376/

Although this doesn't relate to hair loss, this gave me hope because this goes to show how science is growing at an exponential rate and that a cure for hair loss could be right around the corner too.

Read about this, good news. meh.

they will never release the cure because they make far too much money with the current medication

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    they will never release the cure because they make far too much money with the current medication
    This is BS. So much research is going on, also within universities and research from funded donation groups, by scientists whose only interest is to find a cure. But also tons of commercial companies are working on it. Sangamo biosciences for example has already booked great successes in their phase II study where they modified patients DNA to become resistant against the virus. See www.sangamo.com . Really, the cure is close.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    This is BS. So much research is going on, also within universities and research from funded donation groups, by scientists whose only interest is to find a cure. But also tons of commercial companies are working on it. Sangamo biosciences for example has already booked great successes in their phase II study where they modified patients DNA to become resistant against the virus. See www.sangamo.com . Really, the cure is close.
    I also believe the cure is close or it has already been cured, but i stated they will not release it

I also believe the cure is close or it has already been cured, but i stated they will not release it
    I always hate conspiracy theories like this. You really think somebody is going to pay-off Sangamo to not release their therapy ? Any idea how much money is needed ? If they're the only company on earth who have a HIV cure, how much do you think that company is worth ? Who would have the money to pay-off such company ? And even if a huge pharmaceutical like Pfizer would offer them all their money, then how much time would Pfizer need to just break even on that trade ? I bet at least 30 years. And do you really think there's not going to be a cure within such timeframe ?

Besides this, most scientist are highly ethical and would NEVER trade money over (quality of) life. And also, most people would rather have billions AND go into the history books as the first to have cured this disease instead of having trillions and have to live with the fact that they've ruined lives of millions of people. And I'm not even talking about the fact that they'd have to deal with being criminals (since Sangamo is publicly traded and they'd risk years of prison sentence screwing their investors)

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    I always hate conspiracy theories like this. You really think somebody is going to pay-off Sangamo to not release their therapy ? Any idea how much money is needed ? If they're the only company on earth who have a HIV cure, how much do you think that company is worth ? Who would have the money to pay-off such company ? And even if a huge pharmaceutical like Pfizer would offer them all their money, then how much time would Pfizer need to just break even on that trade ? I bet at least 30 years. And do you really think there's not going to be a cure within such timeframe ?

Besides this, most scientist are highly ethical and would NEVER trade money over (quality of) life. And also, most people would rather have billions AND go into the history books as the first to have cured this disease instead of having trillions and have to live with the fact that they've ruined lives of millions of people. And I'm not even talking about the fact that they'd have to deal with being criminals (since Sangamo is publicly traded and they'd risk years of prison sentence screwing their investors)
    Maybe you're right but you are very naive

Maybe you're right but you are very naive
    The difference between having 10 million and 100 million is huge. With 10 million you can buy a nice house, some nice cars and that's it. You can't buy that 50m long cruise boat, nor your private island in addition. However what's the difference between having 500 million and a trillion ? That's ONLY about status. And if you can't even show the world you have such money (since you've got it illegally by accepting pay-off money and thus screwing your investors), then why would anyone do such thing ? And how do you spend it without raising questions ? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to white-wash a billion dollars ?

So, no, I'm not naive, I'm just realistic. Most conspiracy theories, including this one, dont make any sense at all if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    He' doesn't understand basic economics or how capitalism works.

I am a lawyer so don't see the point
    Last edited by Winston; 05-02-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Incendiary insults removed.