+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 19 years old

Default 19 years old

Hey, I’ve been on the boards for a while, but this is my first actual post.

Background: my family has no real history of MBP on either side. I have eight uncles, some older than 60, and all of them have their hair. My grandfather died youngish in his 40s, and had his hairline had receded, but no vertex balding.

So... I was understandably surprised when I noticed my own hair line had receded. I panicked, and started noticing a lot of hair coming off in my hands in the shower. I have seen a dermatologist, who didn’t say much, and I went to Hair Club for men just to get a scalp microscopy. The people at Hair Club told me I was in the beginning stages of MBP, and recommended minoxidil.

A couple of questions:
    I’m 19 years old, so does the fact that I’ve already notice my hairline receding mean that I will surpass my uncles in terms of hair lost? Or could the process slow down?

Right now I’m using minoxidil 5% twice a day. I’ve been doing so for a couple of weeks. In the last couple of days, though, I’ve become really nervous and concerned about reports from people about rapid aging. Is this a common side effect? Are there any steps I can take to avoid it? If I notice the signs and stop taking minox, will the process stop?

I’ve been thinking about taking minox once a day instead of twice to limit possible side effects. I figured this wouldn’t be too bad since I haven’t experienced all that much loss yet. Would this decrease the likelihood of the side effects? And I know it differs case to case, but how much, generally, does this diminish the effectiveness compared to using it twice each day?

Lastly, in case other people my age are looking at this, I just wanted to say not to panic. When I first started noticing this it was pretty much all I could think about. I go to one of the top colleges in the world, have a beautiful girlfriend and great friends, but was pretty much miserable because I was so concerned about hair loss. It became an obsession. I would spend hours on these boards searching for clues, trying, at times, to prove to myself that I wasn't balding, and at other times to have my suspicions confirmed. Finally I realized that the problem wasn't my hair loss, it was my worrying. I decided to take a break from talking about it, researching it and I tried to keep myself distracted. I worked out, went out, and studied. And I felt sooo much better. Looking up cutting edge treatments can give hope, but don't let this keep you from enjoying life. I still get sad or nervous, sometimes, but it's a lot less often. Anyway, any input for the above questions would be great!

You should think about propecia

Honestly I've thought a lot about it, but propecia isn't worth the risk to me. It was even hard getting on minoxidil because I was worried about sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Marktwain View Post
    Honestly I've thought a lot about it, but propecia isn't worth the risk to me. It was even hard getting on minoxidil because I was worried about sides.
    What 'risk' ? How is it all these new guys are coming here virtually every day to say they dont want 'the risk' when they cant possibly know what the risk is.

You have to try it for yourself. Everyone reacts to medications differently. Everyone reacts to asprin , antibiotics , even foods differently. You cant rely on scare tactics by people on the internet.

Go to your doctor. They are medical professionals. They will tell you of the risks of minox and fin. Trust them. Do not trust some guy hiding behind the internet.

Hope this helps

I've been to two doctors already, and virtually any chance of lingering sexual sides is too much for me. I understand that these sides are uncommon, and their permanence is even less likely, but I am not yet ready to mess with hormones.

But if I stick to minoxidil, is it okay to use just once each day, or to use a half dose twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Marktwain View Post
    I've been to two doctors already, and virtually any chance of lingering sexual sides is too much for me. I understand that these sides are uncommon, and their permanence is even less likely, but I am not yet ready to mess with hormones.

But if I stick to minoxidil, is it okay to use just once each day, or to use a half dose twice?
    Absolutely. I think we would all stop taking it if we were in your shoes. It doesnt matter how many of us are ok with it, its how you personally react to it.

But there are other options, such as the minox which apparently works great.

You will have to wait for someone else to come along who has experience with Rogaine because I have never used it. There are a lot of good folks on this board.

Also, I've heard anecdotal evidence either way, but could someone point me in the direction of any scientific evidence about the link between ejaculation and hair loss? I have talked to five different doctors about it, excessive I know, and all said it was just an internet rumor. But it keeps coming up, and bumming me out to think I could be doing something that's making it worse