+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 22 - Rogaine results pic - Advice needed

Introduction:
    Hi. I have been thinning since around 16 starting from temples and only in the last year or so has my hair loss really started to affect me. To cut to the chase, I started using rogaine last september, applying it everywhere that I had a visible loss of hair. This picture is old and doesn't reflect my hairs current state. My hair is also severely parted in this photo to give an indication of the extent of loss.

On the left is my hair after using rogaine only for 2-3 months (had a big shed) and on the right is rogaine only around 5 months. I can see a visible difference however I feel that this is now the peak of the benefits I will get from this treatment (in at around 8 months now) and my hair starts to feel thin again despite continuing with the same amount and application of rogaine (perhaps shedding more hairs again?).

Question
    My next option is Propecia and this is what I have questions about. I have a 2 month subscription of tablets which were prescribed by my doctor. I intend to try this drug but only after my upcoming exams as I will not be under as much mental pressure. My question is, should I try the quarter pill i.e .25mg approach for a month to let my body adapt to the drug and then up the dosage appropriately over time if needed? I have read a LOT on the side effects of this drug and feel like I already have some of these 'symptoms' of side effects without having ever even touched the drug before. Additionally, do you think with my current state of loss that propecia would even benefit me? At the moment with my hair brushed over normally there is still visible thinning but I can 'cover' my head. From the results i've seen and the rate at which my hair loss has progressed (coming up to my 7th year) I feel as though there may be a chance to fill in a lot of gaps? Also, I feel like my loss pattern is a bit weird compared to a lot of other men, I still have very thin hair on my visible hair line but not as much 'naked' recession as most men tend to get immediately.

More background:

I've not been in a relationship for 3 years and my last one ended very badly. Have lost major confidence with women and my general appearance. I don't want propecia to magnify those feelings, however I feel like if it works and there's no symptoms of effects then it could be the best decision i've made. Since my break up I have not even shared intimate contact with any girls and i'm not an ugly guy, my hair used to get me a lot of attention. I haven't had a great desire for sex in that time because of how shit I feel about my appearance and this has caused me to gain weight. Sorry for the sob story, I just feel like after reading a lot of posts from other guys on here I needed a response that was more personal.

Thanks in advance.

If you're worried about side effects of Fin and you already suffer without taking them then i do not advise that you begin the meds as you could attribute all the psychological sides and blame Fin.
    Even though i think Fin is definitely what you need if you want to save your hair.
    Bro you're 22, buzz your hair and begin medication. If my hair was like yours thats exactly what i would do.

That is my dilemma, I feel like I would but at the same time maybe that would also let me disregard the pill effects because i'd think it was all in my head anyway? Sorry if that's confusing. Also, do you mean go really short for a while and start Propecia to see if there's an improvement over time? thanks.

I mean bro you're 22, you'd look so much better if you buzzed your head, instead of what you have.
    Buzz it and let Fin and Min do its magic

With a decent head shape like yours, why you being a hippie. You'd do much better if you buzzed down the sides and back, even if you wanna go longer with the top, am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    With a decent head shape like yours, why you being a hippie. You'd do much better if you buzzed down the sides and back, even if you wanna go longer with the top, am I wrong?
    I don't understand what you mean. Please note this is with my hair extremely parted I want to know if the areas are too bald to get decent recovery with propecia. Cheers

Default fin: Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    If you're worried about side effects of Fin and you already suffer without taking them then i do not advise that you begin the meds as you could attribute all the psychological sides and blame Fin.
    Even though i think Fin is definitely what you need if you want to save your hair.
    Bro you're 22, buzz your hair and begin medication. If my hair was like yours thats exactly what i would do.
    Hi all!! I am new here and quite desperate.-Just got divorced and finally decided to do something for myself! Since my problem is quite similar and I have never done anything up until now-(I am 41 y.o)
    Do you think there is any point in starting fin ? Or should I opt for a transplant directly? Thank you in advance for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by 22able View Post
    I don't understand what you mean. Please note this is with my hair extremely parted I want to know if the areas are too bald to get decent recovery with propecia. Cheers
    Hey dude. Thanks for putting up the photos.

I suggest you consider a hair system . Look into it. Or you can buzz your hair down really short.

There is even guys getting a tattoo that makes them look like they have a full head of hair if they shave it close.

Check out these options.

Quote Originally Posted by 22able View Post
    I mean your hair style, those long sides. Buzzing the sides - just the sides - with the trimmer tends to look great, unless your ears are humongous.

As for propecia... If you're very lucky, I guess yeah. A lot of guys are lucky just to keep what they have with the drug.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Hey dude. Thanks for putting up the photos.

I suggest you consider a hair system . Look into it. Or you can buzz your hair down really short.

There is even guys getting a tattoo that makes them look like they have a full head of hair if they shave it close.

Check out these options.
    I'm not sure i'd be interested in a tattoo. I have the option of a transplant when I am old enough, however I feel I will probably end up down the NW6 line so that may not even be an option. Thanks for the advice.